• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired [WTB]: Frelux Gen1 light engine

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello CPF, I recently received my second Frelux, and this one happens to have the Gen2 light engine.

The significant differences between Gen1 and Gen2 include starting mode (medium on Gen1, low on Gen2) , mode spacing (closely spaced in Gen1, more widely spaced in Gen2) , and some Gen2 light engines apparently have a "pre-flash" when initially powered on in low mode (including mine)

I am wondering if anyone who swapped out their Gen1 for Gen2 might still have the older light engine around, and be interested in selling that. I'm not certain about the current stock levels, but the Frelux website does list the Gen2 as available.

I don't mind the mode issues, as much as I'd prefer to lose the pre-flash on my particular example. Either emitter is fine (Nichia / warmer, or Cree / cooler and brighter) but do prefer the Nichia of these two.

Needs to function properly, of course, and specifically please confirm lack of any evident pre-flash.

If you can help me out, PM me with total asking price inclusive of all fees and CONUS shipping (priority with DC# or equivalent), and payment will be by PayPal (cc/goods).

Thanks all !

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to intrude. I saw this 'preflash' mentioned in a recent WTS. Is the 'preflash' a feature or a bug? What makes it so objectionable?

YummyBacon!

Enlightened
Have you tried contacting Ben? In my experience, he has been very accommodating.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Have you tried contacting Ben? In my experience, he has been very accommodating.

:sigh: ... this is a longer and less interesting story than I'd like, but yes.

He was willing to replace the light engine but apparently only if I sent in the entire flashlight.

Because I planned to give this as a gift soon (either before or after upgrading it) , I didn't want it sitting at his shop for an unknown length of time.

Since the light engine is easily replaceable in its little threaded can, and the host itself is now unavailable and essentially irreplaceable, I hoped he might send me the light engine itself to swap out (and offered to return the malfunctioning part to him after)

I even attempted to purchase a replacement from him at full price, but he doesn't accept PayPal for payment :(

At that point, it seemed easier to simply try to look for one here instead :shrug:

Last edited:

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do his most recent drivers still have the pre-flash problem? There are pills for sale on his site right now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

archimedes

Flashaholic
Do his most recent drivers still have the pre-flash problem? There are pills for sale on his site right now.

Not sure, but I have since given away mine as a gift, so this is too late for me.

The recipient preferred the brighter output and higher CCT of the more recent light engine, despite the pre-flash.

I won't be actively bumping this thread any longer, but on the off chance someone has one of these to sell, I did offer to replace this later for the one I gifted.

Thanks for the info and the bump, anyway, though.