AceBeam H30R (+UV) - able to modify Firmware for custom Settings?

guestno1

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

am I the only one looking for a decent white+red Headlamp,
runned by 18650,
maybe with a metal housing?

Well. That was I was looking for but all lights by NiteCore, Zebra and other dissapointed me alot.

The AceBeam H30R was the only one fitting the needs "somehow",
even if it was bigger (21700 batterys...).

Well, the future may bring some better products, but until than I need to get happy with that one.

And, even if there are some smaller downsides with this lamp, the worst one to me is the red LED:
It sucks the battery down in around 2 hours?
That is because it has like 500Lm of power or so: It is crazy bright and you can see it "a mile threw the woods", exp. for the intended use of a more "stealth" camp / navigation light.

So I texted AceBeam if they could do another Firmware, or if I can modify the actual one by myself,
because it has a USB Port for charging the batterys, which lead me thinking this can be used to access the internal storage?

AceBeam sadly decided to not reply to my request.

Now I want to ask in here: Does anyone have any idea if somebody already did try to readout/modify/write the Firmware, so I can try to set down the brightness of the red LED?
My old Petzl runned like 60 hours on ~30/40Lm of red light with 3xAAA,
which is something I would like to see again without carrying a third lamp/another type of battery with me?

Thank you

Ps.: I apologize for the brevity, as English is not my native language.

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
I don't have an H30, but on almost all flashlights only the two power lines from the USB connector are active. There is almost certainly no way to program the UI over USB. It might be possible if you can get access to the MCU, but it would require a lot of technical know how.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a big user of headlamps, but the Fenix HL60R has been working well for me:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...L60R-With-a-True-950-Lumen-Mode-NO-Burst-Mode

For me, a metal headlamp with a single 18650 cell is pretty much on the "heavy side" of what I would want to wear (mostly use for fixing stuff in dark places).

The Red LED (2x) is fairly bright (1 LM red @ 100 hours or low white 5 LM @ 100 hours). Like most multi-mode lights, I have learned to put my hand on the lens then turn on/cycle through modes so I don't blow out my night vision when it first turns on @ 950 Lumen (this headlamp has a "last used" mode memory--no other programming options).

30-40 LM of red lights seems like a lot? 1 LM is enough to navigate around and read text/paper (as best a read light light lets you do that). The red LEDs have a typical "swirl" pattern of "raw" lensed LEDs if pointed at a white wall.

Neat that the light stays charged when not used for months at a time. Uses a "standard" protected 18650 battery (no USB battery port for charging, USB port in in lamp assembly itself).

Not sure why, but some of the more popular HL60R threads have "disappeared" over time (pushing the no-advertising rules in main forum?).

-Bill

guestno1

Newly Enlightened
@BB
Mh, thanks for mentioning something that may fit my criteria. I do not remember why, but there was some reason I disliked the Fenix (maybe I got catched with the promised lumens of the XHP70.2, hehe).
I know 18650/21700 metal housing headlamps are the heaviest you can get, anything better than NiMh lights or rechargable ones -
but I never runned into stability issues even with the AceBeam flagship, so I learned to like the many benefits for me and skip considering the weight.

EDIT: But I decided to try your suggestion and ordered the Fenix aswell as some NiteCore HC65 with ~11lm@32h@18650, so lets see which one I will like as red light.

I guess nobody can help with my initial Question, or?
Because giving up the XHP70.2 and the UV, just because the red suffers runtime with 50lm@5h@18650 is a bit sad...

Last edited: