International Shipping options question

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I know there is a lot of international shipping going on here, and I wanted to ask what is the easiest/least expensive solution. I have a bunch of items on ebay (here's the list) and I am getting emails for international shipping price questions.

What do you guys use? For example two places I am asked about are Canada and Italy. Both of these I will be shipping CDs from Louisiana.

Thanks

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Global Priority has always worked well for me.

I've probably ordered close to 100 items from various CPF members/dealers which have mostly been sent via Global Priority (usually the pre-paid envelopes or small boxes) with no problems to date.

PS. what cool stuff are you selling ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

03lab

Enlightened
I always ask eBay sellers to send via USPS Global Priority Mail, it's fast and cheap. You can calculate the rate on their site.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
I ship a lot of stuff to International CPF members using the USPS .

About 50% of the time I use a Global Priority envelope, 20% using a padded envelope, and the last 30% using a box.

For small items it's cheaper (for the sendee) to use a padded envelope. As the sender, I don't charge CPF members for all the padded envelopes, package tape, bubble-wrap, and address labels that I buy and use. All that stuff adds up quickly. Either charge them for the supplies or stick to Global Express envelopes. They are free at the PO; grab a bunch of those and the customs forms.

For packages under 4 pounds and/or valued less than $300, use the small green Customs form 2976.

For packages over 4 pounds and/or valued more than $300, use the large white form 2976A.

You can't get insurance on Global Priority or Airmail Letter. You have to use Global Express or Airmail Parcel for insurance.

Tracking is only available using USPS and DHL. Global Express only tracks as far as US Customs.

For some reason you can't send Global Priority to Italy.

There's a rule of only one piece of tape allowed on the Global Priority envelopes. I always tape the four edges and the PO doesn't say anything as long as I don't put tape across the body of the envelope.

Unless I'm using a big box, I toss the blister packs because they take up too much room. If the item came in a cardboard box I remove it and collapse the box. That saves a lot of room.

I've had no problems, yet, with checking the gift box on the customs form. The people at the PO won't look at you, roll their eyes, and say "Yeah, Right". It saves the Sendee from paying Tax/Duty if the value declared is low enough, usually around $24, but it varies.