High CRI 1AA light

zeally

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a high cri light that uses 1AA or 2AA battery. Prefer 1AA

Would like it to be titanium, brass or copper but happy to consider other materials like steel, alu, etc

I don't want a flimsy on off switch like the one Zebralight uses. The last Zebralight I bought lasted less than a year then the switch broke

Prefer it to be able to stand upright when on

No magnet

Prefer the beam to be more floody than throwy, it's for indoor use and garden use

Budget is around 200 £/$ but am willing to consider higher. If higher, I'd want it to come with some kind of warranty if possible and last for at least a few years

If a good high cri light isn't available, then would be willing to consider a warm white

I have a Eagletac 1AA D3A Nichia 219C and it's beam hotspot and corona is too narrow

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about an El Capitan from peakledsolutions.net?
Aluminium, Stainless or brass. Single AA. High CRI. Built like a brick outhouse. Made by the people that answer the phone and emails. Good warranty.
Simple head twist for on and to increase brightness.
P

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have carried several different ZL every day for over 8 years and never had a switch issue and have to think that your issue was not a common thing for them at all.
I have read of a few others but this is far from the norm and they do not have that reputation at all I will say.

I really like the Manker Right Angle head lights and the AA version is sold in a 219b and is in my 5th pocket most days since getting mine.
Mine has a floody beam that I find pretty useful.

I'm looking for a high cri light that uses 1AA or 2AA battery. Prefer 1AA

Would like it to be titanium, brass or copper but happy to consider other materials like steel, alu, etc

I don't want a flimsy on off switch like the one Zebralight uses. The last Zebralight I bought lasted less than a year then the switch broke

Prefer it to be able to stand upright when on

Prefer the beam to be more floody than throwy, it's for indoor use and garden use

Budget is around 200 £/$ but am willing to consider higher. If higher, I'd want it to come with some kind of warranty if possible and last for at least a few years

If a good high cri light isn't available, then would be willing to consider a warm white

I have a Eagletac 1AA D3A Nichia 219C and it's beam hotspot and corona is too narrow

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Maratac 1AA in copper. Countycomm has the titanium version of this light in stock right now. A simple, rugged torch with 3 modes of high CRI light--worth considering.

zeally

Newly Enlightened
What about an El Capitan from peakledsolutions.net?
Made by the people that answer the phone and emails.
Simple head twist for on and to increase brightness.

How much more pressure is put on the battery when it turns on and you keep twisting in to increase brightness? Does the pressure on the battery stay the same or does it compact the battery even more?

They don't answer all emails. I emailed them last year to ask for some beamshots, they never replied.

The El Capitan uses a Cree XPG3 R3 Hi Cri. Does it have a narrower beam hotspot than an XM L2 led and Nichia 219B?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I agree that the Peak El Capitan (or Logan 17500) may be a good choice, but please see my responses below ....

How much more pressure is put on the battery when it turns on and you keep twisting in to increase brightness? Does the pressure on the battery stay the same or does it compact the battery even more?

These type of twisty switches are called "battery-crushers" for a reason ;)

More pressure = more brightness, with QTC.

You may well prefer a fixed-mode (non-QTC) version instead, available by custom request.

They don't answer all emails. I emailed them last year to ask for some beamshots, they never replied.

I have often wondered if Peak may use an aggressive spam filter, as some seem to find this, while others say they are very responsive :shrug:

Personally, I have dealt mostly with RMSK (their main distributor) who I have found to generally be very easy to reach.

Also ... they are unlikely to provide beamshots, but instead refer you to their informational forum here on CPF.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?64-Peak-LED-Solutions

A search of that subforum should yield examples of the beamshots you seek :)

The El Capitan uses a Cree XPG3 R3 Hi Cri. Does it have a narrower beam hotspot than an XM L2 led and Nichia 219B?

All emitters in the small "pocket lights" by Peak I find to be moderately floody, even their "narrow optic" version (which is now standard, I believe)

At one time, other options were available by request, but for that you would need to check with Peak direct.

Last edited:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Countycomm Martac AA and AAA lights all of a light spring in the bottom of the tube. They are not "battery crushers".

The "switch" is the tube collar screwing into the head, where there is a circuit board and "ring" of copper where the body's collar touches the ring.

To change levels, unscrew and screw back in to change (like a clicky switch). No memory. My lights are Med-Low-High (back to Med)...

Brass versions have the best thread. Copper and Titanium threads are rougher but still work fine. Aluminum works fine too. Countycomm tends to run lights in batches and they have "random" availability in different materials. Flat bottom, no magnet.

Countycomm also has a "peanut" light (rechargeable). This is a two two level light. There is a "dome" switch in the base of the board. First contact is low, tighten to press dome, for high.

-Bill

hemix360

Newly Enlightened
I have the AAA Aluminum version in CRI and I like it but unfortunately the clip broke in like 3 weeks and thus its been sitting, but it's a huge improvement from their first generation lights. Very good feel and threads are smooth and it didn't cost too much as they run sales alot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

zeally

Newly Enlightened
I have often wondered if Peak may use an aggressive spam filter, as some seem to find this, while others say they are very responsive :shrug:
Also ... they are unlikely to provide beamshots, but instead refer you to their informational forum here on CPF.
A search of that subforum should yield examples of the beamshots you seek :)

I emailed Peak 5 days ago but didn't get a reply, so I guess they're out

Also did a search but only found 1 beamshot

What I also need is the max lumens the El Capitan puts out for the no QTC version

Does anyone have any other recommendations? Has anyone tried a HDS light with 2AA battery tube?