Lenses and reflectors

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
Ive not posted in a while.

I am looking to make my own led lights for a bike.unhappy that leds on cars and bikes are dazzling i wish to create a led lens or/and reflector. Learning that fillament light bulb car lights where blocked from front facing beam, ie they had to shine forward from a reflectior, i wonder if there are any ideas on how to do this with leds. The idea is to give the emitter area that the light looks at a larger area, unlike the pin point effect of a led and cut down the intensity. Are there any led lenses or reflector designs that will give this effect.?

I have tried to fabricate some lenses but am having a problem with refraction rates and TOtal internal reflection.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carclo is the big name in LED lenses, they seem to make nearly anything for collecting the light from an LED and emitting it downrange/outward. You may be able to find exactly what you want there. Find what you want in their catalog and then look for it in local suppliers inventory...LED Supply has their optics, they are US based. Though the cost probably wouldn't be too high to have it shipped over to you.

Last edited:

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
Brilliant lightfooted, found the side emmitter in 2 minutes, !:)

Now i need reflective stuffs, preferebly both preshaped and also paint that i can use, im thinking of the high chrome stuff you see, or if any other ideas please ,

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brilliant lightfooted, found the side emmitter in 2 minutes, !:)

Now i need reflective stuffs, preferebly both preshaped and also paint that i can use, im thinking of the high chrome stuff you see, or if any other ideas please ,

Aluminum tape? Of course the glue side is always a matte finish but it is light tight.

As for paint I have heard good things about Alclad...mostly from a modeling perspective about how good it replicates a metallic finish.