Best Hand held Light

kevin2

Newly Enlightened
I have used headlamps primarily, turned on to Zebralights from this forum years ago, but I thought I'd get a hand held to put in our cars for any sort of need. My wife certainly won't wear a headlamp, but she may very well need light & a handheld flashlight might be a life saver.

I saw this ad on facebook, and I immediately decided to come here and see what is better OR not! I'd prefer something a bit smaller, but this might due. I like that it seems powerful. I already have 18650, but I've heard that the are nice too.

Looks like the cree XHP 50 is a bit older, so I'm assuming there is something better at this point??

https://aicobuy.com/products/50-off-powerful-flashlightbuy-2-free-shipping?variant=29994510286951

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NEED handheld recommendations

For something that is kept in a car, AA or AAA energizer ultimate lithiums or CR123A batteries are the way to go because of their resistance to temperature extremes and extended self life. Streamlight makes the Protac 1L-1AA which runs on a single AA or Cr123 and will even work with AAA's, it has a S clip that can slip on to the brim of a ball cap to work as a head lamp. Streamlight has a new 90 degree angle head version of this light as well.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed. Rechargeable (lithium ion) chemistry is not well suited to that application. If you state a budget, you'll probably get quite a few targeted suggestions.

kevin2

Newly Enlightened

OK, I should have know that! $50 or less. I'd also like some recommendations for a hand held that I could use for fishing, so something really strong like the link which I could use with a Lithium Rechargeable batter. So 2 requests, thanks guys.

What is your opinions on that light I linked? https://aicobuy.com/products/50-off-powerful-flashlightbuy-2-free-shipping?variant=29994510286951

Kevin
Agreed. Rechargeable (lithium ion) chemistry is not well suited to that application. If you state a budget, you'll probably get quite a few targeted suggestions.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the Convoy S2+ line is about the most quality light for the money that I have ever tried.
Buy in whatever flavor emitter and output that you like and get a few 18650s to go with it and you will be set.

It would also help to know roughly where you are?

Keitho

Enlightened

What is your opinions on that light I linked?

I stopped reading when I saw "handy zoom," "20000 lumens," and "not afraid of getting wet." Don't get me wrong, I wish all my lights were unafraid; but, I think that the "20000 lumen" claim makes me a bit afraid of this company.

For the car, put a lithium cell in your favorite $10 Maglite. For fishing at night, I'd stick with high-CRI Zebralight headlamps. If you really want something with an actual output of 20000 lumens, check out the cost and power required for the Acebeam X80--probably more than you need for fishing, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun!
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?435295-ACEBEAM-X80

bykfixer

Flashaholic

The one in that link in post 1?
Dont do it.

Check out the LA Police Gear store in the dealer section here at CPF. They'll hook you up with something worth the coin.

They're new to CPF but have been around a while and have a bunch of satisfied customers.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Best Hand held Light"

Acebeam X65. Original or Mini version, factory or V54 modded.

---------------
What is link spam?

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally enjoy the Coast HP7 which is a light that you can use a holster with, can stick in the glove box and runs off of 4AAA batteries (Eneloops are recommended). I don't know if they'll work with lithium primaries.

I got some 4AA lights that would also work great but they're expensive. Recently I got the Nitecore EA42 but it's a bit awkward to replace the batteries and I don't know how durable the battery housing part is with the polycarbonate. I should have gotten the EA41 instead, both lights are about $55 though. The other option is to get a Maglite.