Powerful throwy compact tactical with Quark123-like form factor?

Sanne de Vries

Newly Enlightened
Dear all,

Which flashlights would you advice me to consider based on the following checklist? Your thoughts and guidance are much appreciated!

Sanne

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
This will be mail-order or Online. I am located in Germany.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $200, but less is preferable. I will pay for quality, but value for money is important. I will not pay for a fancy brand logo or to impress friends.

3) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
Size and sleek form factor rather as 4Seven Quark 123 than eg. Zebralight SC600-III.

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?
I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
Or a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
Or a light that can be recharged via USB.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down (300-700 lumens).
I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumen) in burst/turbo mode.
I also want a true moonlight output mode (<1 lumen)

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
Occasionally: Less than 1 meter (reading, other close work) in moonlight mode
Typically: 5-20 meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
Occasionally: 50-150 meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
90-120 minutes on high non-turbo/burst mode (Runtime is moderately important, but not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I liked the tail mounted switch on my 4Sevens Quark 123 (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
I might also like a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
I want a momentary switch for ~18Hz strobe flash use
I don't know what forward (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling) and reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights) mean.
I do not need a BIG switch (I won't be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
I don't want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
I don't need a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
I would like a programmable light.
I want a strobe mode of around 18Hz. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

14) Material/Finish/Coating
I don't know. I highly value robustness and durability, but do not mind proneness to superficial dents or scratching on coating. Light-weight soons wins over price. Durability soon wins over light-weight. The surface should be grippy (through coating or profile), preferably dark and matte/non-reflective.

15) Water resistance
At least IPX4 (Splash resistant)
Preferably IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned?
Neutral white light (for discerning between green/brown foliage colour shades) would be a pro.
Optional Red filter would be a pro (for preserving night vision).
No/removable Pocket/belt clip would be a pro.
Twisted eight shape finger grip (as here with the 4Sevens Quark 123: http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/selfbuilt/Quark-3.jpg) would be a pro.

Sanne de Vries

Newly Enlightened
Hm. I must be doing something not quite right. Is it to do with the way I asked, did I compose incompatible requirements, something else altogether?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Please see the Administrative Announcements forum. Info for new members is addressed there.

Bill