Overall impressions of Photon 3?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally? Well I think it`s a pain in the....dare I say toliet muscle?
tongue.gif

Seriously though, it is a nice light, or rather could be a nice light, but for 3 things.
-First- as you`ve read, the mode-cycle time is too long, you`ve got to keep squeezing the damn thing for ages to change over to a different mode. 2 seconds would`ve been fine, 4 seconds is overkill.
-Second, the auto-off mode, nice though it is in principle, is poorly executed. What`s with all that blinking? A couple of brief blips would have done it- and how about switching into a dimmed state for the last 3 seconds instead of more blinking? Definately not a light for those who suffer epilepsy.
-Third, to change modes, you`ve got to have it turned off first- then hold in the button, whereupon it comes back on and begins its slow step through what it has on offer. I would have preferred to have it as- holding the button in while it was on, caused the cycling. Allowing you to dim or otherwise change it while it`s still on, not have to turn it off first. Cutrrently if you let up on your squeezing too soon, (from sheer fatigue perhaps? though they did make it easier to push than the first ones) you`ve got to turn it off again first before you can continue the mode cycling. A minor irritation perhaps, but an irritation nonetheless.

I suppose I could add a fourth one- that being the fact that mine`s all screwy and I`ve got to post it back to LRI and wait ages for a replacement. OK, not a common fault, hopefully it`s a rare fault, but it has perhaps marred my opinion of this little light further- why`ve I always got to get the screwy stuff that doesn`t work right?
tongue.gif

Well overall, it is really clever how it all goes into something so small, and it is really good that the batteries are a lot easier to change than its predecessor, and it is useful with the dimmed modes or auto-off (though having 3 blink/strobe speeds seems a bit of a waste- perhaps that bit was designed with party-goers in mind, but they have their own one- the Rávn). It`s just that it`s "software" or whatever goes on inside, has not been designed tremendously well. Maybe just a limitation to the chip it uses (a custom made device from what I know), perhaps designed to reduce false triggering or unwanted mode changes if it were to be squished up in your pocket with your huge bunch of keys. But ulimately, at times, it`s just....well.....we`re back to toliet muscles again
shocked.gif

Don`t get me wrong, I do quite like it. I want to get mine exchanged for one that actually works, and live with it for a while before condemming it outright- maybe my opinion will change? It happens. I planned to leave it in medium power mode for most of the time and use the override button for a brighter light when necessarry. But it went belly-up so it`s bye bye P3 for a bit.

We`ll see what happens in the future...

rolleyes.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I ordered two P3's a week or so ago.. One worked fine, the other won't turn off, it just dims. Anyway, I'll agree about the mode switching speed being way too slow. I don't especially like mine; turns out I prefer a heftier light that uses 'normal' batteries (AA or AAA).

Just my 2c..
Tim

Craig720

Enlightened
The push-button mode system of the Photon 3 intrigued me until I read some decidedly mixed and a few negative opinions of the new Photon.

Do you think I should wait until the kinks are worked out or simply plunge in and buy one or two of the 3's?

Craig720

Enlightened
I wonder if the folks at LRI know of the problems some of you have been experiencing with the P3's?

I was looking to the P3 to solve the problem of having to take one's glove off in cold weather in order to flick the constant-on switch of the Photon II.

Looks like the P3 needs to have a few kinks knocked out first. It is not enjoying the universal praise accorded to the P2. I was not here when the P2's first arrived. How did that first lot function?