XTAR VC4 power adapter recommendation

jp_over

Newly Enlightened
Friends,

I have an XTAR VC4 that I'll be using to charge 3 x 18650s (3500 mAh) simultaneously. I've previously used an old apple charger but would like to upgrade. With all 3 batteries charging I get a charge rate of .3A.

Is there a noticeable difference in charger rate from using a greater capacity power adapter? Any specific recommendations for a solid "5v, 2.1A" power adapter?

Thanks!

Update - just found an excellent thread on this: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?444437-Best-18650-charger

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Friends,

I have an XTAR VC4 that I'll be using to charge 3 x 18650s (3500 mAh) simultaneously. I've previously used an old apple charger but would like to upgrade. With all 3 batteries charging I get a charge rate of .3A.

Is there a noticeable difference in charger rate from using a greater capacity power adapter? Any specific recommendations for a solid "5v, 2.1A" power adapter?

Thanks!

Update - just found an excellent thread on this: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?444437-Best-18650-charger

I've had the VC4 for more than a few years and I use a genuine Apple 12W 2.4A wall wart.

Depending on where your cells are on the 'discharged curve', you might not see 500mA for multiple slots, still...having a better power supply will get the most out of the VC4, or any USB type charger.

Chris

jp_over

Newly Enlightened
I've had the VC4 for more than a few years and I use a genuine Apple 12W 2.4A wall wart.

Depending on where your cells are on the 'discharged curve', you might not see 500mA for multiple slots, still...having a better power supply will get the most out of the VC4, or any USB type charger.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for confirming and the feedback.

Based on your posts in an earlier thread and the cost of a new power adapter I decided to just go all-in and upgrade to the XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus. I only use 18650s for a couple of "farm/work" lights but I use them every day so fast/simple/and safe charging are my priorities.

Joe