• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: Pila compatible 5 watt mod

ubermensch

Enlightened
Evidently there are very limited options for running a badboy/single pila/5 watt combo. I would need a vf in the T bin, and a badboy pushing around 650ma. And to make it worth my while it would have to be a flux bin of V or W, no U bins. Ideally, this would be in a host that would accept a pila 168a, but since such things don't exist. . . Does someone have something like this? BTW, I have some neat things to trade as well.

ubermensch

Enlightened
According to Dat2zip's tester, it could also be a BB500 with any vf bin.
Also, with a mod like the mcmodule, would the flat-top nature of the pila be a problem?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ubermensch
I have built 2 PRT heads that work fine with the Pila 168s on an E2e host. The flat top of the cell is not a prolem, you just need to make the solder blob a bit bigger than normal. This will slightly dent the top of the cell, but this isnt a problem, as the charger does it anyway.

ubermensch

Enlightened
Have you posted the details of these lights yet? If so could you provide links? If not, please tell--what type of luxeon, what board, and how much does an E2e body cost? If I can't find one to buy, I might build it myself.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one i built is currently on a passaround. It's a VVOU 5 watter driven by a BB700. For an E2e body, check here

ubermensch

Enlightened
According to Dat2zip's tester that shouldn't work, but it does? Do you know the approximate runtime, and does it ever flicker like it wants to go out of regulation?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got around 50 minutes runtime, and then the Pila protection circuitry kicks in. No flickering, no moonmode either. I should note that the VVOU measured 6.5v at 700mA. Should have been binned as T for vF.

ubermensch

Enlightened
How about brightness, in the passaround thread someone said that it was comparable in "brightness" to an L4. But an L4 is only ~65 lumens, can that be right? Shouldn't it be more than double the "brightness" of an L4?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, Surefire's lumen rating is whats coming out of the bezel. The 120-150 lumen of the V bin 5 watter is the emitter alone, and does not take into account of the losses incurred by the reflector and lens. Also, if you read Lumileds datasheet, their ratings are for a LED with a junction temp of 25 degrees C. Its fairly safe to assume that no 5 watt luxeon runs that cool in any flashlight.