Mini-Maglite, can I swap the guts to another barrel?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Want to take the green LED guts from a Spectrum (the whole plastic thing) and put it into a green barrel from a special edition Pro. I don't know if that's possible without breaking it?

EDIT: anyone know what the tool looks like & how it works?
AA Mini Maglite Switch Assembly with replacing tool
Manufacturer part number: 108-000-211, 108-211, AM2A108
This only fits the 2 AA Incandescent model light, does not fit LED models.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
On the basis of my experience disassembling the Pro model it can also be safely done without a dedicated tool.

The LED guts and plastic pill push downwards into the light body leaving behind the snap ring that comes out the front. One can use something like a plastic tube that is just large enough to go around the LED (to avoid damaging it) but narrow enough not to extend to the edge where the plastic snap ring is located. Tap the tube firmly to overcome the hold of the snap ring tabs and the guts will fall out via the battery tube as a unit. Installation is simply the reverse, insert the guts into the battery tube and tap with something long enough to seat the guts back into the snap ring.

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
How does the spring mechanism work; the thing that elevates the LED head to make electical contact? Is that within the guts or part of the snap ring?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
On the basis of my experience disassembling the Pro model it can also be safely done without a dedicated tool.

The LED guts and plastic pill push downwards into the light body leaving behind the snap ring that comes out the front.

Hmmm... and you say that the Incan AA should be pushed in the opposite direction to remove:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?447032-Maglite-Mini-AA-Incan-to-LED-Mod-Rehash
Step 1 -
Completely dissassemble the guts of the MiniMag AA. The switch where the bulb is inserted can simply be puched out from the inside of the battery tube. When done we have an empty bezel head, and battery tube.
>

Tricksy are Mag Industries.

pc_light

Enlightened
Thanks for pointing out the awkward wording in that old incan AA post. I've edited the step to read more clearly, it now says - "The switch where the bulb is inserted can be disassembled by prying off the bi-pin holder and simply punch the remaining portion down into the battery tube."

For the LED Pro model, there is no bi-pin holder to pry off. There is a small black plastic retaining ring that holds the guts up. Similar to the Incan AA, that guts can be tapped down into the battery tube for removal.

When pushing the guts, the tube shape you use should be large enough to go around the LED (to avoid damaging it) but small enough to slid pass the retaining ring rim.

How does the spring mechanism work; the thing that elevates the LED head to make electical contact? Is that within the guts or part of the snap ring?
The mechanism, battery contact, etc. are all a one piece (the "guts".) The snap ring is by itself in front.

pc_light

Enlightened
Depends on whether the end of the pen cap has a flare that would hit the snap-ring edge but yes that's the idea. It only has to push in about 1/8-inch to get pass the tab.