Surefire diffuser mod?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a FM64 diffuser to put on my Z32 so I can diffuse the beam if need be. Well there kinda hard to fine but I was able to get a FM63 infrared. My plans are to remove the infrared filter and replace with some kind of diffuser film or was even thinking about Glass beading a piece of mylar and inserting that.Not sure what I'm getting into as I have never owned one an am not sure if the filter comes out or will have to be cut.Can anyone who has one of these let me know how the filter is installed and any suggestions? I want to do a nice job with this and not just throw it together. Thanks

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a clone product of lesser quality, but considering that the FM64 has been out of production for so long, you may wish to consider the FM64 copy made by the brand name "Element", probably for the airsoft crowd. It is usually listed for around $10, and getting one to try sounds a lot easier than trying to alter the IR filter.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes I saw them. Wanted to stick with SF for this light and bought it for 20 bucks new in bag so it's not that much of a loss if something goes wrong. Pretty sure I can pull it off one way or another.Ill just wait till she gets here and see what's what. Thanks.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Pelican 9413DL Diffusor for the 9410L. I own both and the diffusor film is amazing. The diffusor is a thin film that you could cut and shape with an exacto or scissor. The 9410L has a huge hotspot and when I put the film on it completely gets rid of it, just a beautiful flood is left. I may buy another and try it for my F05 filters for my HDS. The film has a shiny side and a flat mat side. Shiny side out. I think it was $15

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Dammit! Yes I'm sure it would be. They are impossible to find over here. Funny how I never really want anything till it's no longer made😁. Thank you anyways my friend.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
@ sledhead. Thanks just looked at that. So it's a diffuser film on a plastic frame? designed for another light? And your saying to just cut out the film. That might be an option. Thanks.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well FM63 came in and it's the newer style with the screw in replaceable lens. So now all I need to do is find the diffuser lens😂😂😂😂😂. Why do I do this to myself!?????

wweiss

Enlightened
Why not buy a replacement lens if you can and wet-sand it with 220 paper to make a diffuse window? I did that with my HDS.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well FM63 came in and it's the newer style with the screw in replaceable lens. So now all I need to do is find the diffuser lens[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Why do I do this to myself!?????
You could order the correct diameter and thickness lens(in polymer or glass)and then use your media blasting method to frost it. Make sure to only frost one side so the O-ring/gasket seals correctly though if it will ever be used in a light itself. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk