Pentagon Lights X3 and MS2

BLKSHP

Newly Enlightened
I have a X3 xenon and MS2 X TR I thought about modding to LED. I've searched for weeks on info for converting them. It seems that the only options are to use a P60 drop in with a modifier new reflector or to just screw the P60 bulb assembly to the Pentagon reflector, or lastly get someone with a lathe to modify the light for something.

Now I've tried a $12 Cree P60 to the pentagon reflector and wasn't impressed with light output. The X3 has 135 lumens at 9 volts and the MS2 has 70 lumens at 6 volts. Both of these lights are weapon lights mounted to AR15's and have good throw, spot and spilll, but they just don't have what the newer high power LED's do. Are there any High Output Throw LED options out there for me that I've not been able to come across by searching the archives from 9+ years back?

I love the Pentagon lights and would like to keep them in service, but they just don't have the brightness of my Surefires and Streamlights. Any help is appreciated. I have a Surefire E2D that needs the LED treatment as well, but I'll save that one for a future post.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One thing to try is contact Mark at Lumens Factory and ask if his D36 items can fit the X3.

Another option is an outfit called Sportac to see if they have anything.

I'm not familiar with the MS2, but do know some of the Pentagon lights shared parts with Pelican, so again ask Mark at Lunens Factory if his Pelican products could fit that MS2.

Best regards.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
The MS2 X should take a P60 drop-in just fine. It's incandescent correct?

Back in 2006 or so when the BOG 3-Watt P60 drop-ins were taking the world by storm I converted my X2s to LED with them, here's a quote from an old post:

You'll see a lot of people say P60 size bulbs won't fit or function in the X2 head but they will.

The X2 assembly is only a millimeter or two greater in circumference so the P60-type will rattle a little bit but a small amount of foil will take care of it. Should work fine long term. Back a few years ago when the BugOutGear USA 3-Watt Lux P60 drop-in was the only P60 LED drop-in available I ran one in my X2 for several months with no problems. [Transfer the external spring from the PL assembly to the LED dropin assembly]

ETA:: Make sure you observe the proper polarity. The compartmentalization of the Pentagonlights can render some of the physical polarity checks non-functional and fry the module if it isn't protected.

For the X3 You can get an L2 head from ebay, put it on the X3 body and run straight or convert it with another P60 drop in as well. I also did this with my X3 before I got an L3.

L2s are available: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentagon-L...rvival-Camping-Tactical-Military/183969782986

You could also open the L2 heads and replace the LEDs with more modern one but there are reflector issues. Before I took a hiatus from the hobby I had my L3 running a Lux emitter upgrade I did myself and it was ~20% brighter. Of course getting compatible mod parts for a LED style that is almost a decade or more out of date is probably a non-starter. But it's an option.

Special note, the L2 head is sealed with a mild epoxy. The two I opened one required only rubber strap wrenches while the other required leather and large channel locks. A quick hot/cold cycle would probably help as well but I didn't know that then.

If you're using on a weaponlight make sure to get a very good module, a lot of the cheaper P60 LEDs had electronics that weren't potted and poor thermal conductivity. Malkoff is good but expensive: https://www.batteryjunction.com/malkoff-m61.html

Good luck, I'll dig into my old posts and see if I have any pics or other helpful information. I ended up having to sell my entire PL collection back during the recession. Love those lights and wish I still had some :)