AR glass?

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I`v been thinking of replacing all my Maglite lenses with anti-reflective glass ones because they`re not as easily scratched, but I wondered what`s the usual reason for using AR glass instead of ordinary glass?
does AR glass have any other benefits?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Simply allows more light to pass through the glass versus a standard lens. Other than allowing a bit more light out the front of the glass, I don't think their are any other benefits from the Anti reflection coating.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps a member will come in with real numbers. Not sure how good the Maglite lenses are, but anti-reflection glass of genuine quality is a step up in light output. For me, just the idea of light being wasted bouncing around in the head is not appealing.

thslw8jg

Enlightened
An AR coated lens allows more light through the lens but can vary due to glass type and antireflective coatings. Flashlight lens dot com has listings of different lens materials with AR coatings and amount of light transmission through the lens

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Thanks each, I just bought 5 of them anyway, but now I`m wondering if it`ll make a noticable difference or not? so I`m looking forward to experimenting with them.
I originally wanted just one for my upgraded 2D maglite, but I figured I`d treat the rest of them as well :-D

StagMoose

Enlightened
I bought the UCL blemish 5 pack from flashlight lens. Installed on my Hound Dog 18650 XT.

They claim 99% light transmission. Malkof claims 95-96% I believe with his plastic ones that I'd bet come from the same place.

The glass one was thicker at nominal 3mm IIRC. It fit just fine with the bezel not screwing down as far but still engaging the o-ring.

I don't know if it is placebo but the hot spot seems just ever so crisper on the edges. I swapped back and forth and felt there was a marginal difference. They probably aren't as durable but I got 5 and they weren't expensive IMO. I can't seem to see anything resembling a blemish. If it breaks easily I will switch back.

I also got some for the M61 head but have not tried them yet.

StagMoose

Enlightened
Ha. Not sure I would notice that lumen increase. Seemed more of an optical clarity albeit very subtle.

ETA: if anyone wants one of these I'll give 1 away as I doubt I will ever need them all. Pm me with an address.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks each, I just bought 5 of them anyway, but now I`m wondering if it`ll make a noticable difference or not? so I`m looking forward to experimenting with them.
I originally wanted just one for my upgraded 2D maglite, but I figured I`d treat the rest of them as well :-D

I used a PR base xenon bulb and ultraclear glass on a 2D. Brightness in general was not a ginormous increase over a krypton bulb and stock lens. However tint was whiter and it was a noticable improvement. The combo of ultraclear lens and xenon bulbs are worth the extra coin in an older low powered incan light.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I used a PR base xenon bulb and ultraclear glass on a 2D. Brightness in general was not a ginormous increase over a krypton bulb and stock lens. However tint was whiter and it was a noticable improvement. The combo of ultraclear lens and xenon bulbs are worth the extra coin in an older low powered incan light.

It`s the Ultraclear ones with AR coating that I bought as well, my 2D has a 3W LED emitter in it (the sort with it`s own screw cap built in), and 6 eneloops in there using the 3 AA to D convertors, I bought the maglite from new and it`s never been used, so I`v made it into a project :D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I found with the xenon and ultraclear I could ID items with darker colors at distances only light colored objects could be using a factory lens and krypton bulb.

No huge jump in output but definitely more useful output.