Arc4x Runtime Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I was fortuneate enough to land my 2nd Arc4x. My 1st task at hand was to perform a runtime comparison to measure the difference between my original Arc4x and this new one. I thought I'd share those results with you folks. For the heck of it, I took my very best Arc4+ and LSHP and included them in the chart.

Arc4x Compare.jpg

Enjoy.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
....need to keep your .jpg no more than 800 pixels wide so they don't runnoff the edge of the screen. I keep mine at 600 pixels wide. Nice plots!

cy

Flashaholic
1st in line on an Arc4X if Nascar if decides to sell one ha ha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cy

Flashaholic
Nascar, Hey it never hurts to ask.... keep me in mind if you ever change your mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

srue

Newly Enlightened
t_i_n,

I think it's important to note that, as in all of your tests, the lights were not cooled (please correct me if I'm wrong). So the reason the lights drop down from level 1 so quickly is not from battery exhaustion, but rather from temperature control. In real use one's hand will heatsink the light.

Someone could easily read this graph and think, "Six minutes at level 1? Arc4x is worthless."

I'm not saying your results aren't valid, merely that the differences in testing procedure should be noted.

Maybe you could put up a run with a small fan blowing on the light, or have it sitting in 1cm of water. It would be interesting to compare the runtimes.

-Stuart

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
srue said:
t_i_n,

I think it's important to note that, as in all of your tests, the lights were not cooled (please correct me if I'm wrong). So the reason the lights drop down from level 1 so quickly is not from battery exhaustion, but rather from temperature control. In real use one's hand will heatsink the light.

Someone could easily read this graph and think, "Six minutes at level 1? Arc4x is worthless."

I'm not saying your results aren't valid, merely that the differences in testing procedure should be noted.

Maybe you could put up a run with a small fan blowing on the light, or have it sitting in 1cm of water. It would be interesting to compare the runtimes.

-Stuart

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, no cooling. People can do what they want with these graphs. I'm not spending the time to create a special environment to put the light in their ideal environment. I only have one purpose in these graphs that I do and that's to compare lights of the same model/version/type. For my purposes, I'm going to assume that being held, the comparision of these 2-lights will remain almost constant, however with different/longer numbers.

As the new tailcaps become available many folks will be using their Arc4's in a standalone mode, so I think this data is perfectly valid.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmh,

how comes Ray got two of those rare Xs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Congrats !

Klaus

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My 1st one was from being in the right place at the right time in order to order it right after Peter made them available and the 2nd one was due to persistance and a big wallet.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ray,

Other than the difference in light output and some difference in run time, is there any noticeble differences in the 4x (tint, operation, anything else)?

Tom

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:
Hello Ray,

Other than the difference in light output and some difference in run time, is there any noticeble differences in the 4x (tint, operation, anything else)?

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, in tint. My original Arc4x appeared white to me when I first got it. When I do the infamous side-by-side comparision on a white wall, this new Arc4x is whiter. It remains whiter at all levels.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess that Ray likes the "new" Arc4X better. It is whiter and brighter. What is not to like? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Roy, it wasn't running off the edge from my laptop display, however I sized it down a bit. Hope that's better.

Cy, not a chance of selling this anytime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

lucked out and finally got TIN's brightest ARC4X. Been wanting this light seems like forever.

Found out right away, this puppy likes fresh batteries. Huge difference in output.

Tailcap mod v1.2 coming up on ARC4X.

Thanks TIN

Status
Not open for further replies.