Princeton Tec Reflectors and Carley's

ET

Newly Enlightened
Princeton Tec Reflectors and Carley\'s

I have heard that the combination of Carley bulbs in Princeton Tec flashlights are not advised as the Carley's get extremely hot and may melt the reflectors. Has anyone confirmed this? I tried it for just a few minutes and it seems ok but I'd rather not have a melted reflector months down the road. I'm using a Tec-40 with the Krypton Star Rechargeables running at 1.7 amps. TIA

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Princeton Tec Reflectors and Carley\'s

What kind of batteries are you using? AA nicads have around 600-700 mAH capacity. Nimh have anywhere from 1100 to 1500 (advertised). I tried Eveready nicads (650mAH) with the Carley 1.2ah Krypton Star and a PT Tec 20. The rubber cover didn't melt off but it did loosen. The reflector started to flake a little around the edges but didn't melt. It could have flaked because constant bulb changes. I don't know for sure.

I had 5-10 minute run time. 15-20 with brand new nicads.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

ET

Newly Enlightened
Re: Princeton Tec Reflectors and Carley\'s

Hi David,

The batteries are NiCad's from Radio Shack. They read "Go Rechargeable Hi Capacity 1.25V - 0.850 AH"

And now that I'm looking at my reflector, there does seem to be some small flaking and cracking in one area. Hard to see though. I'm not sure if that was there before I tried the Carley.