Is there a nice wood flashlight?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odd as that sounds, I think it would be a great departure from the poly and AL lights out there. I was thinking of a oiled wood and brass trim kind of thing, for that cozy library/old telescope/fancy pen kind of look and feel. Anyone know of anything like that? It'd be a classy looking lighting instrument that's be in a league of it's own. I was thinking X5T kind of form factor, but others may apply.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did I mention the head being brass? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It could have o-rings, couldn't it? Dropping it would mar the finish, true.

FlameOn

Enlightened
I'm still working on a fur sink....people tell me it's not very practical but it is cool loooking...follow your deam man!

B@rt

Flashaholic
flashlight2.gif

Wood Flashlight Pen

(click pic for larger version)
Wood flashlight gold tone

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
this could be more difficult than you origionally assumed...
you need to go through several hundred wood species to find out which one has the greatest thermal properties for a heatsink! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Like many things made from wood, there are parts that must be metal. I can imagine a beautiful polished wood barrel with a brass or brushed aluminum head. It could be quite functional as well as a work of art.

Heck, if lights are made of Plastic, PVC, and epoxy, why not wood?

Daniel

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I just ordered the pen light from the site that B@RT found. I'll report it up when it gets here.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Roy. I will look forward to it.

GL, that's exactly what I was thinking. No worries about heatsinking. Imagine the quality workmanship this kind of design would allow.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Ah'm-nuh find me some nice rosewood-grained peel n' stick vinyl drawer liner and wrap it 'round a LedLenser V6, leaving just a 1/16th" of the shiny chrome finish showing on the top and bottom. It should look close to what we're envisioning (at first glance, anyway)...in fact I remember seeing very thin peel n' stick real wood veneer at hardware stores, just might work if you curved the sheet against the grain direction of the wood...

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
PB,
An interesting project.

Let's say for arguments sake you wanted to make a wood copy of a mini mag light .

All the external dem's would have to be a little larger since wood is not as stiff as aluminum, and if you sit on it most likely it will shatter and leave splinters in a hard to treat place.

I suggest some kind of very hard wood. I have no expert skills here, but if memmory is any good at all, look up rose wood. I reserve the right to be wrong.

A wood body for the battery tube is a trick to make. Im going to assume your talking about a 2xAA device. You can buy long enough drill bits and make a deep bore for the 'handel' part. For D cells you might have to go to MSC and order something very expensive.

The head might have to be a little thicker as well. Make it a click style rather than a twist. Geting wood to hold threads is not an easy process.

As for the brass parts, any good jewlery maker can fabricate that for you. I suggest rechargable batteries so the unit won't be opened very often.

Since Im in the middle of a desert right now and have no access to machine tools, that's the limit of my ability.

Hope all is well
Jack Crow in Iraq

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Well......here's what I got in the mail yesterday!

wood.jpg

wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg
wood3.jpg

I didn't know that penlights were still made with the screw in bulbs that had the lens built in to the bulb! The beam pattern is auful! It is incandesent yellow, PLUS it picks up the orangy-gold of the bezel for and overall orange beam.

Does anyone know of a single led mounted in a screw-in base what will work off of two AAA batteries?

The wood on this light is Colobolo. They have a large selection of woods to chose from.

It does have a clicky tail switch. After the switch is on, light pressure on the switch cause the light to go off for as long as you hold the switch in. No momentary on...just monemtary off!

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:

Does anyone know of a single led mounted in a screw-in base what will work off of two AAA batteries?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, the arc aaa.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=524643&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1

Is this sold at tactical warehouse? The bulb looks exactly like the one the Varta light and the switch works in the same way. Only this one is much nicer to look at. Think of a gold plated aaa head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened
Oh, I completly misunderstood what was asked. This is actuallly a lot easier then what I was suggesting. But anyway, an arc aaa head would probably work also.

Chrisse