Arc LSH-S momentary on (Noob Q)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guriseto

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Arc LSH-S last week (FITD). This is my second Arc light and my first LS. Needless to say I absolutely love it. I am now thoroughly addicted and nobody can understand me (except my fellow addicts). This light is great. Really white and bright. I had to get one before they were finally discontinued. I wonder what is going to happen to this design once Peter stops making it? It would seem a waste to consign such perfection to history.
Anyway, enough of the mush...
My question is this:
In the last day or so (I haven't replaced the battery since the light arrived last week), when I use the momentary on function, the light flickers slightly. Is this a sign that the light is going into moon mode? It doesn't flicker once I click to constant on. It only happens when I use momentary on and if I oscillate the button within the momentary on range (if you know what I mean). This did not happen when I first got the light.
At first I thought it might be some dirt on the contact spring of the Kroll. It may be, but I would need a microscope and some small instruments to clean it (not a problem, as I am a dental student and have access to both. I'm not sure how my tutors would like me using such equipment for this app. It also would be slight overkill methinks.) I haven't yet tried a fresh battery to eliminate the regulation diagnosis.
Maybe someone could save me some investigating? I am really lazy...
Thanks.

Spacemarine

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Guriseto said:
when I use the momentary on function, the light flickers slightly. Is this a sign that the light is going into moon mode? It doesn't flicker once I click to constant on. It only happens when I use momentary on and if I oscillate the button within the momentary on range (if you know what I mean).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what my LSH-S makes when it begins to go into moon mode. So don't worry about it :)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
It sounds like you need to perform some Kroll switch maintanance. Look in the Arc FAQ to learn how to do this. It's rather simple. Even I can do it, so you should have no problem. It sounds like the switch contacts are dirty.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides the aforementioned, I think excess lube on the threads cause intermittant contact. If you don't thread the battery tube in snugly, and you are holding the forward part of the light, and push the clickie, sometimes it seems to make the threads move a bit. I clean my threads dry now and don't seem to have that problem. Otherwise, yes, the light flickers a bit when dropping to moon mode, and the switch can get dirty and cause that.

davidra

Enlightened
Maybe, but mine did exactly the same thing shortly before moon mode,and stopped with a new battery...try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.