XHP35 And CBT90

nitebrite

Enlightened
I was just wondering how the heck is it that a $5 emitter can better the performance of a $100 one? Am I missing something? This is seriously not a troll post. I honestly have no clue. I just see these XHP35 lights throwing twice as far as CBT90 lights. It honestly makes me very angry because I paid a lot of money for CBT90 lights. Now I am buying cheap XHP35 lights and they are outperforming them. I really do not understand this. Could someone please kindly explain this to me? Is it just a matter of technology marches on? It has not been that long! I just don't get it and I am pretty sad right now. If there is an answer for this that is going to make me feel better I wish someone would share it with me please. Thank you

I edited this from XHP50 TO XHP35 Which was my actual intent. I was tired when I wrote this.

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
I just found out my example of dominator is not so good. 1900 lumens. 199cd. Glad no one answered this. $150 XHP35 light will handily replace it. What a waste of money. Live and learn. People have been telling me that Surefire is the pits and I have not been listening. I guess that is why you hardly hear it discussed here now. Disgruntled consumer? Yes.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
the surefire dominator has been out for several years without any kind of emitter update. and that is with it being in the prototype phase for several years before that. when it finally did come out, it was already behind the curve. to me, the real killer was the less-than-stellar rechargable battery pack with its VERY low capacity.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Thank you for taking the time to answer. Tell me about it. Have to use $60 worth of batteries. For $1400 you know I guess it was like the first computers. Maybe I can't feel that bad. It was a lot of output at the time maybe. Today, of course I feel bummed. You can't say today you feel bummed about your IBM PC though. The issue is they are still selling it for $1400! Some poor sucker is getting duped. There are plenty of $150 lights that will smash it. Half the size yet. This XHP35 is really an example of technology marches on. Even if you want a SBT90 than you can have 3000 meters or something. Or Osram is way cheaper and goes like 1.5 miles! The only thing upsetting me is that they are still selling it. It is like selling flip phones in 2020 for 5 grand. Of course no one has to buy them. It is just a slap in the face. Not to say mine does not work good enough though. It is just much bettered now. I guess mine was early because it does not even meet specs. Oh well. You folks do not need to argue this. One reply satisfied me.