C cells: Tenergy Centura, Tenergy NiCd, or EBL NiCd?

WC8KCY

Newly Enlightened
I am planning to purchase some C cells, and have narrowed things down to the Tenergy Centura 4000 mAh LSD NiMH, the Tenergy 3500 mAh NiCd, and the EBL 4000 mAh NiCd.

Intended deployment:
1. A 3-cell Garrity LED lantern that goes camping once a year, and is kept handy for power outages
2. A 6-cell Sony "boombox" portable stereo that gets used a few hours a year at Christmastime, and is also kept handy for power outages.

In all likelihood, these batteries will see 1 or 2 discharge/recharge cycles a year on an as-needed basis, plus a maintenance discharge/charge cycle every 6 months.

My questions:
1. I can't find much of anything here on CPF regarding EBL NiCd cells in any size. Has anyone had any experience with them? Seems that the capacity of other makers' NiCd C cells tops out at 3500 mAh, so the 4000 mAh rating doesn't seem credible.
2. Factoring in the small amount of self-discharge of the Centura NiMH, will there be any discernable difference in performance between the 4000 NiMH Centura and the Tenergy 3500 NiCd in these seldom-used devices?
3. From a price/mAh standpoint, the Tenergy NiCd looks like the easy choice. Am I missing something here?

Regards,
Greg

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tenergy centuras are good as are the Soshine NiMH C cells, the Soshines have a little higher capacity.

ledbetter

Enlightened
I have a few things that run on or use c cells as back up and am not a fan. Too much weight and risk leakage so I run eneloop aa's with C adapters. Run time is shorter but weight is down, they're easy to recharge, and I like to have all my household electronics running on the same size batteries.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a couple Accupower Acculoops C size cells, low self-discharge NiMH cells. They aren't cheap ($18/pair at onlybatteries.com, cheaper in bulk but not much, quick ship), but they give NiMH amps, hold their charge and have 4500mAh capacity. I am satisfied with them and recommend if your narrowed options might be expanded.

WC8KCY

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the insights, everyone!

All options are on the table, actually. I'd consider anything that has been found to be a worthy option by CPF members.

The Soshines look like a great alternative and would probably be the best choice for the Sony portable stereo.

I've got AA-to-C adapters and the Garrity lantern isn't 100% reliable when they are utilized.

I wasn't considering the Tenergy non-LSD NiMH, just the Centura and the NiCd models.

On a cost-per-Ah basis, the best deal on a branded battery is the EBL 5000 mAh NiMH C at US$0.83/Ah. EBL, however, seems to get mixed reviews here on CPF.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
EBL, however, seems to get mixed reviews here on CPF.

I think the reviews are only mixed with EBL because there are those that see the specs and are enthusiastic (I was one), and there are those that fell for it and learned a lesson (I am one).

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i can tell you that the ebl 500 mah aaa nicd are overstated.
mine didnt break 250mah.
tested on a c9000 and a generic hobby charger.
YMMV

WC8KCY

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, chillinn and snakebite! That's exactly the feedback I was looking for on the EBL cells.

I'm leaning towards the Tenergys.

Since my original post, I've been evaluating the performance and run time of six Energizer 2300 mAh LSD AA cells in my kitchen radio using AA-to-D adapters. I'll do the same with the Sony portable stereo with AA-to-C adapters before making my final decision. If run times are decent, I'll just get more Eneloop AA cells for both applications.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another possibility is to buy some good NiMH AA cells, specifically Eneloops. Then, use a AA to C plastic adapter. I've done that occasionally.

Pros: You can use a quality very-low-self-discharge cell, such as Eneloop.

Cons: Capacity is limited, since you're not using the full size of a C cell.

But for occasional or emergency use, I think you're better off using low-self-discharge cells, than a poor brand of C cell.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I am planning to purchase some C cells, and have narrowed things down to the Tenergy Centura 4000 mAh LSD NiMH, the Tenergy 3500 mAh NiCd, and the EBL 4000 mAh NiCd.

Intended deployment:
1. A 3-cell Garrity LED lantern that goes camping once a year, and is kept handy for power outages
2. A 6-cell Sony "boombox" portable stereo that gets used a few hours a year at Christmastime, and is also kept handy for power outages.

In all likelihood, these batteries will see 1 or 2 discharge/recharge cycles a year on an as-needed basis, plus a maintenance discharge/charge cycle every 6 months.

Can't say I've heard mention of NiCd cells outside of specialized high-current use cases - usually involving legacy gear - for going on 20 years. I used them in the late 90s and early 00s before NiMH became so ubiquitous and I remember their low capacity and rapid self-discharge; still better than regularly coughing up for alkaline AAs to run a walkman/discman. They seem best suited to daily uses such as power tools, duty gear ala the Magcharger flashlight, etc where they would be used then recharged 'overnight' to be ready the next day.

Neither of your use cases look to involve anything close to high current demands and you require standby use, thus I'm going to be the Nth recommendation to use some flavor of LSD NiMH because they will serve your needs better than NiCd.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't say I've heard mention of NiCd cells outside of specialized high-current use cases - usually involving legacy gear - for going on 20 years. I used them in the late 90s and early 00s before NiMH became so ubiquitous and I remember their low capacity and rapid self-discharge; still better than regularly coughing up for alkaline AAs to run a walkman/discman. They seem best suited to daily uses such as power tools, duty gear ala the Magcharger flashlight, etc where they would be used then recharged 'overnight' to be ready the next day.

Neither of your use cases look to involve anything close to high current demands and you require standby use, thus I'm going to be the Nth recommendation to use some flavor of LSD NiMH because they will serve your needs better than NiCd.

the use case here is tolerance of trickle charging/overcharging.
op does not need that so lsd nimh it is.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a couple Accupower Acculoops C size cells, low self-discharge NiMH cells. They aren't cheap ($18/pair at onlybatteries.com, cheaper in bulk but not much, quick ship), but they give NiMH amps, hold their charge and have 4500mAh capacity. I am satisfied with them and recommend if your narrowed options might be expanded.
Accupower boasts a new NiMH C @6000mAh capacity cell.. They are pricey, tho cost same as 4500mA..

Imo, worth it if they perform well and hold a charge

Wondering has anyone tried these cells other than Chillinn?
Btw, were in the heck have u been hiding!?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya unless you really need the extra capacity, I'd use envelops in adaptors. Luckily AA and C are the same length so adapters are just centering. As far as ebl, I've never used their C cells but the AAs are the worst you can buy so I imagine the Cs are just as bad

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Accupower boasts a new NiMH C @6000mAh capacity cell.. They are pricey, tho cost same as 4500mA..

That extra capacity is interesting... it is relatively a lot more capacity, 1.5Ah more capacity. Want, but I would expect it is more fragile than the 4.5Ah version, knowing nothing about it I would expect it has a lower cycle-life, and is less tolerant of overcharge/overdischarge and dropping. I bet no one else ever drops their batteries. It takes a certain technique. My family has been dropping batteries for generations, so I'm a natural.

WC8KCY

Newly Enlightened
That's why I like the AA to D adapters.. it's like having airbags around the cells for oops protection

I hadn't considered that aspect of the AA-to-C/D adaptors, but it does make sense that they would offer some protection to the cells. I've been known to fumble a cell every now and then...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I bet no one else ever drops their batteries. It takes a certain technique. My family has been dropping batteries for generations, so I'm a natural.
I have severe CTS so it happens all the time. I'm not noticing any negative effects from it, either. I hear all the time that dropping batteries is bad, but exactly what is the mechanism for that? Unless they get dented I'm not seeing how dropping them can cause problems.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will believe that capacity when i see it on my analyzer.