Make new version Acebeam T27 even brighter, more throw

nitebrite

Enlightened
The new T27 with the magnetic ring center switch. Not the rubber clickie. The old one was only hitting 1800-1900 lumens. The new one hits slightly over 2500 lumens on a 40T. I discovered it gets over 2800 Lumens on 2x CR123A. You have less MAH and less amps here but I guess it likes the increased voltage. Which is odd because it is regulated. it is also throwing about 1450 meters. If you don't mind paying for batteries, for it's size this thing is insane. Unfortunately the old version of this light sees no benefit from doing this hack.

nitebrite

Enlightened
The Gen2 does and this trick only works on the Gen2. The Gen2 has considerably more output than the original. Otherwise they are very similar. They switched production with no notice at all and there is no designation. They started production about a couple of months ago. There is not even a picture on the net. You will either take my word or not. OH, the Gen2 also has USB 'C' charging at full 3X or 3 Amps. It knows not to charge CR123A.

busseguy

Enlightened
The Gen2 does and this trick only works on the Gen2. The Gen2 has considerably more output than the original. Otherwise they are very similar. They switched production with no notice at all and there is no designation. They started production about a couple of months ago. There is not even a picture on the net. You will either take my word or not. OH, the Gen2 also has USB 'C' charging at full 3X or 3 Amps. It knows not to charge CR123A.

That's odd that they dont have a picture up on their website.

Can you post a pic?

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I just bought a T27 2500 lms with the USBC charging. It says on the box you can use 2xCR123. But why you would want to use two primaries and get a quarter of the capacity of the included 5100 mah battery is beyond me. A power outage with no way to charge is about the only reason I could imagine. And in that case you probably should be using a different light anyways. Haha. It's sure fun to play with though - my first real thrower!

nitebrite

Enlightened
nbp, does yours have a shiny silver center button? Or a rubber clickie? The reason would be if it has a shiny silver center button it will be a lot brighter on 2xCR123. If you have the silver button, try it.

Otherwise use a P42A battery. The battery it comes with will not drive it to 2500lm. assuming it is the silver button model. the rubber button model was only about 1800lm and 1140m throw. still amazing for it's size

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Yes the side button is shiny metal. The tail button is rubber. You won't be able to see the difference between 2500 and 2800 lumens anyways. Aside from an emergency there's no benefit to trying to use primaries.

nitebrite

Enlightened
There is for me, nbp. I let it sit and don't charge it. For most users, you are correct. I will tell you that you are lucky you got the Gen2. The Gen2 in general has many little upgrades and fixes over the Gen1. They never announced this or anything or designated it. They just quietly put the new one into production. Trust me, it is better all the way around. That is not a spring clickie now. It is now magnetic. They both said 2500 lumens but the old one could barely make 1800lm. The new one is making a little over 2500. It throws further than the old one as well. These are not big differences though. The big upgrades were waterproof rating increase, charging amp increase, reliability increase. I have the T28vn. I wanted the T27 stock so I could use the rear clickie. Plus the vinh T27 is not a huge increase in throw but gets much worse battery life. You really need to get a Samsung 40T or Molicell P42A battery. The Acebeam battery is absolute junk. I guess I could just leave mine plugged in when I am not using it. Since CR123's are expensive. At least good ones are. I wanted to say that I did not intend to make anyone with the previous T27 feel bad. Things move on. You still have a great and unique flashlight. There is nothing this small that can throw like this. I actually have replaced my Surefire Dominator with this. My UDR Dominator is over 3 years old. It is wearing out at this point. The T27 is smaller, lighter and outperforms the Surefire. I actually like the UI better than the bunch of buttons too. Time moved on that as well. Why they still sell it for $1,370 I have no clue. I had paid about $1,800 for mine upon introduction. It is just like buying computers.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I decided to crank this little monster up about 1000 notches. I have replaced the emitter with a luminus CBT-140 and a custom made driver. Now this little light is outputting over 8000 lumens. it throws about 2300 meters. I think vinh is using an "SBT"
In my case the emitter which is 500k, 98CRI and the custom driver are about 8 times the price of the flashlight itself. This is in fact now an apples to apples replacement for my UDR Dominator. As it is now actually even more expensive. I now have about $2250.00 into this $139.00 flashlight. If anyone could see this, they would understand why this was worth doing to me. Unfortunately I have nothing to take pictures with at the moment. That would be my phone. Which was destroyed. I figured I did not need the insurance. Knucklehead. Now I am paying for a phone I do not have. It will be soon enough. So sit tight.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm perplexed. Why would you not just buy a x65vn or something similar for a couple hundred bucks that does 10000l and 560kcd?

How did this possibly cost 2250 dollars? It's a 150 dollar emitter and drivers aren't that expensive. I'd like to hear more about this build. Interesting stuff

Edit to add: I'm genuinely just curious about the build. I don't care what anyone spends their money on. I have bought whole knife collections just to get one knife that I want out of the whole thing haha. So don't take this a jeering comment at all. Kudos to you on finding a platform and combination you like!!

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
Okay, you got me. I am factoring in my time in that number. The X65 is much larger. I even got a deal on the emitter and driver. I am not sure what driver it is, It would be funny if it is vinh. I got a deal on the flashlight too. If you take out my time I have less than $350 in this with 4x 21700. I really appreciate that you did not hate on me. There is enough of that. Honestly, when I was done I was betting myself that it would not turn on. Boy was this lucky. I potted it. So there should be no problem down the road.
I PM'd you back too. Sorry so late.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds nice. Any problems with heat sinking? How long does it run before the "too hot to handle" kicks in. Congrats to you for making it what you wanted!

nitebrite

Enlightened
I fit the heat sink I wanted. I have only run it a couple minutes in fear. It runs about a minute before it steps down quite a bit. At least I know everything is hopefully working. I am still concerned. It is very cold out. I just do not want to do this inside. I should go out Tomorrow with it. Still, I would hate to see it smoke up. If it works 1/2 hour I figure I can trust it. Mainly I am not sure of myself. I am really glad that you have encouraged me and not detracted. Thank you

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
What driver was used? Does it have a programmable turbo mode so you can keep it from getting too hot? Even if it does the absolute best turbo timer is whatever finger you use to turn the light on and off. : D if it starts getting too hot just step it down a bit til it cools off.

nitebrite

Enlightened
It is a full featured driver. It is some Chinese one. I don't know because I cannot read Chinese LOL. The guy at the shop is highly knowledgeable and he said this was the one I wanted. I have it set on 50 seconds. It does not even get warm. I am guessing I can go longer but why push the envelope. After 50 seconds it is set to 65%. It is very difficult to remember where you set it. It works with a series of blinks on the battery level light. I turned out to really like this one because it retains the rear clickie too. Plus it is programmable(the rear switch). Given the size, assuming this does not quit this is unheard of IMO. I wish vinh would make it so we know it is reliable. The problem might be he would charge over $600. People might not pay that for a T27 regardless of what it is. It must run a P42A battery for these amps. The chip can run at 100 watts. Not in this. If it could, could you imagine? I am just praying this does not blow. I have bad luck. I was very careful. I want this for serious work.