Looking for a good lantern and a harness mountable light

jross20

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I've been looking for a good lantern for a while now and it just seems like nobody really makes them anymore... I mean something large structurally solid, with a really wide flood beam. it would be better if it could be focused, but I at least need it to be a flood light, not just some hot spot cannon haha.

It also seems like it's really hard to find lights that are 90 CRI and in the 4000k range... I don't mind getting something in modding it, as I enjoy doing that with mag lights and stuff. Lastly I would prefer that it have user serviceable batteries, so I can either use my own lithium or enloop cells.

Any recommendations?

As far as the harness mountable light, I wasn't sure what else to call it... if anyone's ever seen that streamlight survivor that's basically exactly what I'm looking for except that I want it with a wide beam whereas apparently the survivor just has a hard spot...

I like the size and shape of the survivor though because to me you could clip it onto a backpack strap or something like that, that's what I meant by harness mountable. Same requirements like I mentioned for the lantern, 90 CRI something around 4000k, user serviceable batteries.

Any recommendations?

And you know I guess as a bonus, I do like lights where I can change the LED if I choose to, really not a fan of the ones that are hardwired and impossible to change. Although this is the deal breaker, it would just be nice to be able to change them

Oh, I almost forgot my most important requirement! No click-a-thon lights. and what I mean by that is, I like single mode lights, I can't stand having to click a million times to get the setting that I want. I just like on and off. the only exception to this requirement would be if it had a separate button to change modes so that way I could always turn it on and off easily without it being a chore.

Last edited:

Shorttime

Newly Enlightened
Hey there!

I'll take a swing at this, because opinions are worth what you pay for them!

When you say "lantern", I'm assuming you mean "big old floodlight", not "the modern equivalent of a Coleman".

If so, maybe give the Streamlight E-Flood Litebox a look.

I know, it's an awkward name. Apparently, it also comes with at least three different styles of lens, so make sure you do your research. Other than that, it seems to fulfill most of your requirements: big, rugged, simple user interface. Can't find any beam shots, so you may have to watch a Youtube or two to decide if the spread pattern is enough.

You could also Google "fire scene handheld lights". Lots of stuff with big, wide beam patterns, but some of it is meant to have a serious power supply behind it! As in, a gasoline-powered generator....

For the "vest light", look up "angle head flashlight". Lots of stuff like the Streamlight Survivor. Even those old flashlights you see in war movies. But again, a lack of beam shots.

Oh, yes: CRI and temperature.

Well.... these seem to be "flashaholic" concerns, and not information that distributors normally publish on their websites. You may have to choose three lights that you like otherwise, make some calls, and buy the one that comes closest to the color you want to have.

Hope that helps.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Define what you mean by lantern. It sounds like you want a spotlight type light that is more flood than throw. When I hear lantern, I think of an area light like a Coleman propane camping lantern.
Have you looked at angle head headlamps for a harness mountable light? Zebralight and Armytek come to mind.

sgt253

Enlightened
Pelican has a line of lights that might suit you. 34xx,36xx and 37xx series of lights. All are right angle and some have features that may appeal to you. Probably not going to be 90 CRI and 4000k though. Best of luck.

jross20

Newly Enlightened
Hey there!

I'll take a swing at this, because opinions are worth what you pay for them!

When you say "lantern", I'm assuming you mean "big old floodlight", not "the modern equivalent of a Coleman".

If so, maybe give the Streamlight E-Flood Litebox a look.

I know, it's an awkward name. Apparently, it also comes with at least three different styles of lens, so make sure you do your research. Other than that, it seems to fulfill most of your requirements: big, rugged, simple user interface. Can't find any beam shots, so you may have to watch a Youtube or two to decide if the spread pattern is enough.

You could also Google "fire scene handheld lights". Lots of stuff with big, wide beam patterns, but some of it is meant to have a serious power supply behind it! As in, a gasoline-powered generator....

For the "vest light", look up "angle head flashlight". Lots of stuff like the Streamlight Survivor. Even those old flashlights you see in war movies. But again, a lack of beam shots.

Oh, yes: CRI and temperature.

Well.... these seem to be "flashaholic" concerns, and not information that distributors normally publish on their websites. You may have to choose three lights that you like otherwise, make some calls, and buy the one that comes closest to the color you want to have.

Hope that helps.

Ah yeah I guess I should have been descriptive. I've always thought of a lantern just as a "big ***, long lasting, flood light". Basically what you linked is pretty much what I think about, for the most part. I'll have to check some videos on it.

Man I wish the stream light survivor could focus to a flood mode. It's honestly a great design and shape to me, but I don't need a pure spot kind of light.. haha. Was hoping for something I can strap to my harness just to have general light in front of me.
I'll try searching for the angle ones like you mentioned.

And... Yeah sadly I hate that high cri and neutral color temps are not really mainstream. LED's are in what I call the "ricer period", just a ton of flashy under performing crap flooding the markets... Haha

Perhaps this lantern will work for you.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-Folding-Lantern-with-Light-Fusion-Technology

Originally Energizer used warmer LEDs but went to cooler ones to increase their Lumen output.
It's all about lumen wars :shakehead:

It'll run on 4 or 8 eneloops. They set it up with two banks of four cells each. The banks are wired in parallel.

Cool I will check this out. Yeah I hate the whole "bUt mOrE lUmeNs iS bEttEr!!" Nonsense now days. Same problem as the loudness wars.

Define what you mean by lantern. It sounds like you want a spotlight type light that is more flood than throw. When I hear lantern, I think of an area light like a Coleman propane camping lantern.
Have you looked at angle head headlamps for a harness mountable light? Zebralight and Armytek come to mind.

Basically a big, long running, higher output, flood light with a handle on top. Something you could set down or hold to light up a wide area to work in. I always think of old miner flood lights and stuff. I actually thought about getting one and maybe modding it or something

Pelican has a line of lights that might suit you. 34xx,36xx and 37xx series of lights. All are right angle and some have features that may appeal to you. Probably not going to be 90 CRI and 4000k though. Best of luck.

Hey thanks man I'll look into these.

Hmmm... Maybe I just need to build my own light. I've seen the coop stuff that people have made and I so want to make something if my own. Haha

Shorttime

Newly Enlightened
jross20;5430890Hmmm... Maybe I just need to build my own light. I've seen the coop stuff that people have made and I so want to make something if my own. Haha[/QUOTE said:
If flashlight building is anything like knife making, the well is endlessly deep, and you will never escape.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I use to light up a work area is a Milwaukee rover m18 floodlight. 1500 lumens of floods neutral cat light.
I use this specifically because I am pretty invested in their tools, and therefore batteries. I do like it, and right now it's on sale.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As far as the lantern goes, I walked into Home Depot and picked up the red-bodied Energizer LED one as a good light to grab if the power goes out at my 3rd shift job. Very happy with it as a lantern. Good, floody beam. Can run on D or AA batteries. Three output settings. Just wanted something decent, but it's honestly the best lantern I've ever owned.