LED Corp 2-Cell LED Bulbs

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone seen these yet? Ledcorp is getting in on the Sino Union 2-cell LED PR bulb idea.

Click Here.

probulb_3sm.jpg

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonM:
What are they kidding? $50 for that!!!
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a Luxeon Star, if that makes you feel any better.
blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Go, Go Gadget Flashlight:
I wonder if there's any voltage or current control? Or just resistors...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure there's an active driver in there, at least in the 2-cell model.
Not sure about the others though. I'll have to get Mr. Mize on the fone again and drill him for more info.
smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I'll have to get Mr. Mize on the fone again and drill him for more info.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig, while you're at it, try to get him to send you a sample for review! I'd like to get one, but not until after I've seen the details from an experienced reviewer like yourself.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
Anyone seen these yet? Ledcorp is getting in on the Sino Union 2-cell LED PR bulb idea.

Click Here.

probulb_3sm.jpg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow nice, but there better be an inverter in there for $50 friggin dollars!! :)
Its nice for a quick one led replacement
bulb for a 2 cell flashlight, but you
could make a lot of flashlights with
more then one bulb for 50 bucks.
Nice though...thanks for telling us.

--Al

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Highly interesting, alright, but (and here comes perspective again) would you right now rather have this or that versalux??
wink.gif
grin.gif

p.s.-Craig, how'd they get the Luxeon down to that size?
confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I must admit, the bulb looks pretty slick.
It would be interesting to see how it performs in terms of regulation and efficiency.

Spork

Enlightened
that is WAY to high. how can they be so expensive when Gransee sells Luxeon stars for 14 bucks. hmm maybe they have gold hidden inside?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
p.s.-Craig, how'd they get the Luxeon down to that size?
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess:
They removed the LED part from the base, and built the bulb around it.

Designed ONLY for metal flashlights like the Mag-Lite, because that's what becomes the new heatsink.

In a conversation between myself and John Mize of three or four weeks ago, I thought there was mention of a thermistor stuck in there somewhere, to prevent damage to the LED in case some yahoo sticks the new bulb in a $3 plastic Ray-O-Vac.
But I am not entirely certain... so I would keep this bulb away from all plastic flashlights until more is known.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Craig,

Do you have a ballpark guess as to how many mcds the 2 and 3 cell bulbs may put out and would there be a difference between c and d batteries?

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
Hello Folks,

The luxeon draws about 90 ma on 2 cells with no resistors or pulse or doubler. It puts out pretty good light too.

This is a very simple bulb to create yourself. Not much heat sink required at this low level!

FYI I'm putting Luxeons with optics in my Headlamps now (at 350 ma). They came out pretty nicely. I'll have them on Ebay soon. Contact me if you're interested in one from the first (completed) run!

John

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeebob:
Craig,

Do you have a ballpark guess as to how many mcds the 2 and 3 cell bulbs may put out and would there be a difference between c and d batteries?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have absolutely no idea... I have yet to be priveledged with that particular information. Since it uses a step-up (at least the 2-cell does) it could be just about anything from 50mA to 400+mA.
Won't be able to measure or even eyeball a figure until I actually see one in person.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jbechto:
The luxeon draws about 90 ma on 2 cells
This is a very simple bulb to create yourself. Not much heat sink required at this low level!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on what you mean with not much heatsink. If you have the Luxeon LED with no additional heatsink vertically free in air, you will have some 15% reduction in light output due to the die's temperature. If you have it inside a flashlight with less airflow and a trimmed down base plate, it will be even more. If you don't care to much about efficiency, this should be no problem.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeebob:
Does this mean the 2 cell might wear out quicker than the three cell because its more overdriven?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neither bulb appears to overdrive the LED. Both appear to underdrive them. LED life in this case will be substantially increased over the published figures.

Current draw (measured on the 20A scale) for the 3-cell is 390mA. On the 2-cell, it measured 100mA(!) oops maybe the batteries are shot... changing, and remeasuring...
hmmm now it's up to 200mA and it looks brighter.
Looks like I'll have to pick up some new batteries the next time I have the $$$, cause it looks like the ones I have are flunky. All of these readings should probably be disregarded for the time being.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>What are they kidding? $50 for that!!!
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RonM - I think they heard you! Price is now 39.95. Personally I still think it's a bit steep, but it's looking more attractive.

I'd like to see a beam comparison of a 3 cell mag incandescent next to one with this new bulb. Would give a good idea of the brightness.

Craig, have you tried hitting up MagLight for a "professional evaluation sample"? May be worth a shot.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
After an hour long (almost) conversation with John, the president of Ledcorp, I can tell you guys some more stuff.

The $49.99 price included free 2nd day air shipping. The new $39.99 price does not include shipping, which is $5...so you save $5.

NONE of these bulbs is overdriven. In fact, they are individually tested (since there seems to be a big variance in LS bulbs) and appropriately fitted for 2, 3, and 4 cell configurations. Small resistors are put in to be safe (the 2 cell actually has a fuse built in to prevent blowing the bulb out if a user puts it in a 4 cell, etc.). These bulbs are warranted for quite some time, so no user should have any reliability concerns.

Ledcorp is planning on an all metal flashlight with a slightly overdriven LS...but extremely well heat sinked...(and other safety features)...soon.

I'm seriously considering buying one of these bulbs....even using a 3 cell bulb with 4 nimh cells is okay...(will run slightly brighter than a 4 cell bulb w/ 4 cells).

BTW, the turtle light I look-alikes at Walmart are made in China (worse quality) but Ledcorp receives a royalty for each one sold (their design, etc.) Manufacturers are also considering buying this LS led for use in a metal flashlight....sounds like the LS led's will be coming to the masses soon! (By masses, I don't mean us, I mean the general public...)

Hope all this info was helpful...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
lcpro-1.jpg

Ok, I got my hands on some of these. One for 2 cell lights, and one for 3 cell lights.

The first thing that struck me was how HEAVY these things are. They feel like a solid bar of metal.

The one I'm trying now - the 3-cell version - appears to be underdriven, and it has a warmer color than the Arc-LS.

The 2-cell version appears to be the same brightness and maybe 500°K higher (bluer) in color temperature. I only tried the 2-cell one for a few seconds at a time because I put it in a plastic flashlight; as I don't yet have a 2-cell all-metal (Mag Lite) to try it in.

lcpro-3.jpg

The beam at its TIGHTEST focus; its central hotspot is at its brightest here.
If the focus is loosened just slightly, the outer ring disappears and it looks more like a slightly wide Turtlelite 1 beam with a substantially softer perimeter.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The 2-cell version appears to be the same brightness and maybe 500°K higher (bluer) in color temperature. I only tried the 2-cell one for a few seconds at a time because I put it in a plastic flashlight; as I don't yet have a 2-cell all-metal (Mag Lite) to try it in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this mean the 2 cell might wear out quicker than the three cell because its more overdriven?