Please suggest a suitable flashlight for police

Lithp

Newly Enlightened
Hi - First post. I've been browsing some time now. You guys are great! Very knowledgeable.
I am a police officer (RCMP) and would like your opinions on a suitable LED flashlight for my line of work. I recently bought a Pelican M6 and love it. Many of my collegues use incandescent lighting like Surefire and Stinger XT rechargeables. They are nice but I prefer the LEDs. I realize the incandescent lights are brighter (are they not?) but I like the size of my M6.
Anyway, here are my requirements in general:
1. Roughly same size as PM6. I have a large mag light I use for longer throw and defensive purposes.

2. As bright as or brighter than PM6.

3. Good throw- even better than PM6. Is that possible with a LED the size of a PM6?

4. Long lasting bulb and run time.

5. AA or 123 Lithium batteries. My work supplies AA's AAA's and D's. They will not supply 123's as the majority of the Mounties use rechargeables. I will have to pay for my own 123's.

Have I missed any criteria? I find that my PM6 is great and I am happy with it. If, however, there is a better alternative I am willing to change.

I realize there will be differing opinions in the replies. Would you be kind enough to justify your opinions for me as well as post any links which may be helpful?

One more thing. I live in Canada and availability may be an issue. If you know how to acquire/order flashlights for Canadian customers please advise.

Thank you.

LEDependent

Enlightened
Well, I'd suggest checking out ElektroLumens's line of very high-quality lights. He has a Police version of his Blaster series that is a direct replacement for a 3D Mag. He also has the XM-2, which is a two 123 cell light. It uses a 3W Luxeon, and should be similar in size to your M6.

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened
How cool is that, being able to carry a Flashlight at work. Maybe I need to look for a new job.

Lithp...how about looking at Elektro Lumens and see if you can get a XM2 Prototype

It has a 3 watt LED and I'd think that you'd love it.

By the way, Wayne at Elektro Lumens is working on a Police Flashlight that if, you are looking at something bigger with a lot more run time, could blow you're CPF mind (so be carefull). It sounds like it will be out in a month or two... Good luck!

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to say: get rid of that MAG light---that's awful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

and you call yourself a CPFer!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd also look into an Elektrolumens light.. specifically the Blaster Jr.

you should make a post on the Elektrolumens forum on this website and ask him if he'd be willing to work something out with you and how to contact him..

it's bigger than your PM6 Luxeon, but it has close to 10 hours of runtime @ near-full brightness and runs on AA batteries..

i'm not sure if the Blaster Jr's throw is greater either, but i'd reccomend contacting CPF member "Quickbeam" via his website, www.flashlightreviews.com and asking him how his Blaster compares with the PM6 for throw.

if the Blaster Jr. would be too big for you, then try browsing thru some of the lights on www.flashlightreviews.com which has a section reserved for luxeon lights.. something may catch your eye, especially with the full reviews provided by Quickbeam.

Elektrolumens also is coming out with a light called the XM2, which is about the size of the PM6 and is most likely going to be brighter.. however, i cannot reccomend it as i've never handled one, and in fact, i don't think anyone has yet.

Lithp

Newly Enlightened
Re: Please suggest a suitable flashlight for polic

Thanks to everyone who has replied. So far the consensus seems to be leaning toward the XM2. I will definately look into this one!
And hey, I'm just a rookie CPFer here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just like at work. Your right, I should ditch the Maglight. But I do need a big flashlight that is durable enough to be used as a weapon and that won't break. But... that's a different topic. Maybe I'll start a new one.
Thanks again everyone. I anxiously await any further replies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lithp,

If you MUST carry a big light/mag form factor, consider one of the SpaceNeedle's.

This is a 5 watt Luxeon running on 3 123's made by MrBulk. It is built in a 2C Mag but there is an accessory pack/baton made to lengthen it so it can also run on 6 AA's.

A formidable tool with the extender baton in place. You might be able to talk MrBulk into one if he isn't to busy, look in the homemade/mods section of the board for his address. I believe he is also an LEO, so he might be willing to make one for you based on that.

These are insanely bright LEDs and extremely well made, getting someone to part with theirs if he won't make one for you might be tough, but check in the B/S/T forum if you are interested.

For reference, the PM6 LED puts out around 40-50 Lumens the SpaceNeedleII version 4-5 times that!

Bill

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Lithp said:
But I do need a big flashlight that is durable enough to be used as a weapon and that won't break. But... that's a different topic. Maybe I'll start a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do go ahead and start a new thread, although for this light you may not want to limit it to LEDs. Just a thought.

For a small light, maybe a modded PR with a LuxIII or something on an E2e body & tailcap would be nice. Check out the sandwich shoppe for information on these. These will be fairly expensive though....not sure what your price range is.

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened

For a Mag replacement I'd consider an, EleKtro Lumens; Blaster 3P (I think the "P" is a Police version). Check out this thread and don't be afraid to e-mail Wayne. He's also known for sending things out of the country for reasonable prices.

At least stick an EverLED in your Mag while you are waiting..

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also carry a flashlight to work as an office building nightshift security officer.
See my thread on Trilight3 if you would rather not wait up on an xm2.
Inretech's Trilight3 kit installed is kinda big though since it uses a 4d mag case. (yeah, I know , it's a mag)
Try www.ledmuseum.net or, more directly, http://insulatorz.home.att.net/tri3.htm
The guy who runs the above site is actually one of cpf's moderators here.
It could use a 4c cell case or possibly even a 3c with 4 sub c cell rechargeable nicads or nimhs if you wanna try something like that.
Here's some pics showing what a triple luxeon3 equipped flashlight can do;
http://www.geocities.com/cpf_3rd_shift/trilight3_2.html?1079808438270

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Lithp said:
I should ditch the Maglight. But I do need a big flashlight that is durable enough to be used as a weapon and that won't break. But... that's a different topic. Maybe I'll start a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]
you definitely should. there are plenty of alternatives to Maglites if you're not happy with their performance..
in fact, there's even a light called the Tigerlight that has an optional pepper spray built right in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I recommend the Tigerlight and Elektrolumen's Tri-STAR!

The Tri-Star is three luxIII's in a non-mag, Elektrolumens body. He made a 3D model in the past, and is working on a 4D right now. Also, sometime in the next month or two (maybe three) he is coming out with a 4C and 3C version of the Tri-Star.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm....
I guess this thread is not growing so fast now..
Oh-well.
Like I said, if anyone has some pics to put here on a good police flashlight other than the one I posted with my link, please do.

Lithp

Newly Enlightened

Thank you again for your input everyone. Just curious...am I correct in assuming that LED flashlights are less bright yet have greater burn time than incandescents?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Lithp said:
Thank you again for your input everyone. Just curious...am I correct in assuming that LED flashlights are less bright yet have greater burn time than incandescents?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lithp, that is not necessarily true. It used to be true, but not anymore. Some great minds like Elektrolumens, MrBUlk, and many other great modders here on CPF (just to name a few) have managed to produce great LED lights that puts an incan to shame. While some of them may be as bright or brighter than incans, it also sacrifices on battery runtime, hence making it at least equal to the runtime of an incan. The good thing about it is that with these wonderful creations using LEDs, you never have to worry about the LED burning out due to shock/drops or extended use, plus with a regulated setup in the light, the light output remains constant (at the same level of brightness) and only starts to drop when the battery is sucked almost dry. Hope this makes it clearer...

bonvivantmike

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lithp said:
...am I correct in assuming that LED flashlights are less bright yet have greater burn time than incandescents?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, LEDs are brighter than some incandescents. For example, a Luxeon III is brighter than an incandescent stock Mag Light bulb. In general, LEDs are more efficient, so you will typically get higher runtime.

Another advantage to LEDs is that they are much more resistant to breakage than incandescent bulbs. Particularly useful for law enforcement work, where a flashlight could be subjected to impacts, either deliberately or accidentally....

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually Mike is right, I was thinking more along the lines of 'throw' as opposed to 'brightness'. What I meant to say is that in terms of throw, incans used to beat Leds, but its not necessarily true anymore. Thanks Mike...

Kiu

Enlightened
Lithp,
There are only 5W Luxeon can compare to the total brightness of incandecent like 6P, TL-2, PM6 xexon. But for longer throw, 5W will not the best as it is not a single die. 5W with Mag reflector will beat but they are too big compare to size of PM6.
Lux3 @1000mA may have about 70-80% total brightness of 6P,TL-2 in real life. Wayne's 30 mm optic is has very good throw, however there is no 2x123A + 30mm optics avaible.
So in your situation, I agree with Aaron that you may try McLux PR Head or PR-T head with lux3 DownBoy 917 or 1000.
Get more information here