More Happiness… Malkoff MDC + KeepPower 3.0V RCR123

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to share this also… I'm thrilled also with the Malkoff MDC + the KeepPower 3.0V RCR123 battery. I love the Malkoff but could not stand that I could not use rechargeable batteries… I just don't love not knowing how full my battery is and I never can remember when I am using primaries.

The Malkoff MDC is the perfect size with perfectly spaced and selected output levels and a satisfying beam. It carries wonderfully due to the brilliant pocket clip design and it is just strikingly good looking to me!

I think of it a a wonderful option for backpacking or for a go-bag due to the light weight and long runtimes but I want to be able to bring a rechargeable battery as a backup option and I was distraught that no such option existed… until I found KeepPower. I forget who it was on this forum that mentioned the KeepPower 3.0V + MDC combo but I owe him a debt of gratitude. The KeepPower batteries run this light perfectly and give all three levels; this is not what happened when I tried Surefire's rechargeable which are advertised at 3.2V… when I used the Surefires, the low level would not work, it would only work in medium and high.

Last thing… I don't think that the MDC regulates the output on high with primaries… given how the KeepPower batteries use a circuit to step the voltage down to 3V I'll bet that the result in the MDC is a regulated output on high.

What a home run!

:thumbsup:

Here is a link to the batteries that made me so happy!

https://www.keeppower.com.cn/products_detail.php?id=664

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a quick runtime test and got >50 minutes on high before the protection circuit kicked in and cut the light off… I compared the output against my HDC Executive on high (250 Lumens) and found the output, even at 45 minutes was equal to or better than the HDS. That's not too shabby if you ask me! I don't love that the circuit kills the power from the battery and shuts the light off, but that is a small problem for me given how I would use this combo.

I do think I prefer my MDC body + Tactician Head with the Efest IMR 16340's because of the extreme output and also the dimming instead of the abrupt cutoff but I am still very happy with the MDC + KeepPower 3.0V setup.

Last edited:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Thanks for the runtime test. I was told those batteries will always read 3V. Do you know if that is the case throughout your test? I wonder at what voltage they cut out at? I agree, the Malkoff MDC is a good looking light, with excellent clip, and good size.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest nonsense is that despite distinctly remembering that an 18350 compatible body for the MDC was once available, this does not come standard on the MDC. Instead the MDC is being sold with the CR123-only body. And on top of that, it is apparently discontinued altogether now (not counting the 18650 body). Also only accepting 3V CR123s in the standard configuration despite a Li-Ion compatible head being available. This begs the question as to why the only-3V variant is even still made, and why is it still the standard configuration. Using a VME head solves this problem, but not the 18350 problem.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine it's because of efficiency. The more you design a driver to be dedicated to one battery source, the more efficient it is and can be designed for that voltage. You also can't have a long taper off for primary lithiums while also having lvp for a rechargeable

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I did not know there was ever an 18350 body. That would be nice, to have that body with the standard size MDC head that would work with 18350.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine it's because of efficiency. The more you design a driver to be dedicated to one battery source, the more efficient it is and can be designed for that voltage. You also can't have a long taper off for primary lithiums while also having lvp for a rechargeable

But this is somehow not a problem for the MD2, which has a regulated imput voltage of 3.4 to 9 volts and do take 18mm size batteries?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well no it's not a problem. It's a different design. They've designed one to be more adaptable. Is it ridiculous to you that most Surefire lights only take primary lithium batteries? I mean you may not like using those batteries but it doesn't mean they design the lights wrong because it doesn't directly benefit you. Obviously this product is not made for someone like you. And that's okay everyone is different. It is not ridiculous to design a light for one particular power source. D cell mag lights are designed for d cell alkaline batteries. So I cannot take my 4D and replace the batteries with four lithium-ion 32-600s. It does not mean they screwed up in the manufacturer of the product

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im sorry but I really cant see the possible advantage of not having the MDC be compatible with 18mm cells, especially since they sell heads compatible with Li-Ion rechargeables. To me thats a simple design oversight. Why would they do that? To keep people from trying to stuff a 18350 in there and possibly damage their flashlight?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm honestly not sure I don't know that light very well but is it not a surefire E-series body? If that's the case they can't hold 18 mm cells. They become exceptionally thin. So that could be it they could be trying to stay as close to the original specifications as possible. Otherwise I really don't know.

That being said to the OP, I'm glad that you are happy with your setup. These three volt regulated lithium ion batteries have been around for a long time. But this is the first time I've seen where people are actually using them. Maybe because they didn't work very well with the lithium-powered tactical intocandescent lights. So now they see a lot more use

Enlightened
is it not a surefire E-series body? If that's the case they can't hold 18 mm cells. They become exceptionally thin. So that could be it they could be trying to stay as close to the original specifications as possible. Otherwise I really don't know.

Yeah they're e-series compatible. Making an e series thread 18xxx compatible tube makes the threads super thin and probably not super durable, though it obviously can be done.

The malkoff adapter they sell makes the light a decent amount longer, so that's not ideal either.

Its not them being dumb or unaware of the market, theyre trying to keep interchangeability.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the runtime test. I was told those batteries will always read 3V. Do you know if that is the case throughout your test? I wonder at what voltage they cut out at? I agree, the Malkoff MDC is a good looking light, with excellent clip, and good size.

I charged them through the mini USB so I could not tell what voltage they cut off at. There was no visible change in the brightness throughout the >50 minutes… my guess is that it was the same output.

I ran an MDC on medium and did not even get 6 hours… that was disappointing and I plan on doing that one again.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm honestly not sure I don't know that light very well but is it not a surefire E-series body? If that's the case they can't hold 18 mm cells. They become exceptionally thin. So that could be it they could be trying to stay as close to the original specifications as possible. Otherwise I really don't know.

That being said to the OP, I'm glad that you are happy with your setup. These three volt regulated lithium ion batteries have been around for a long time. But this is the first time I've seen where people are actually using them. Maybe because they didn't work very well with the lithium-powered tactical intocandescent lights. So now they see a lot more use

The MDC is so very nice to me with perfectly spaced levels and good runtimes. It's also surprisingly lightweight and apparently rugged. I am a big HDS fan but am surprised at how much I like the MDC.

I do wish that that the body could accept an 18mm cell but I also wish the HDS lights did as well. They will eventually, I am sure and when they do get the 18mm bodies then I will be very happy and have less money.

ledbetter

Enlightened
I've never heard of Malkoff making a 18350 body. It seems Gene's biggest priority was always to police, military, and hunters who would simply use primaries.
Oveready makes an e35 for the VME head and I like using MDC AA bodies with a 14500 battery which now have the same capacity as 18350s.

Last edited:

Strintguy

Enlightened
Both Martin White and FiveMega are making MD 1 and MD 1.5 sized bodies; maybe this is what is being referred to?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fivemega MD1 body and MDX head with a 1st-generation M30 w/ hi/lo ring, 18350 inside, a Malkoff forward-clicky, and an early "two-prong" tailcap lanyard. Cut out and stuck a piece of photographic gel filter in the head to warm things up a bit. It's a nice little setup.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I've never heard of Malkoff making a 18350 body. It seems Gene's biggest priority was always to police, military, and hunters who would simply use primaries.
Oveready makes an e35 for the VME head and I like using MDC AA bodies with a 14500 battery which now have the same capacity as 18350s.

18350 are up to 1200 mah. Are 14500's putting that out now? What you using?

ledbetter

Enlightened
Orbtronic are 1100, Epoch are 1000 a Vapecell is also 1000 so they're close. I still use a bunch of old IMR AW 600s that have lasted pretty well. Would I buy a 18350 body if Gene offered one? Hell yeah! But I like the AA form factor(have 4, including an orange creakote)and don't have any complaints with using them.

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran an MDC on medium and did not even get 6 hours… that was disappointing and I plan on doing that one again.
Given the current draw on medium, 6hrs is not a realistic expectation from a 860mAh battery. Expect ~3.5, and be happy when it goes a bit over.
My 4000K MDC 123 draws 40/230/1070mA for low/medium/high on these 3V Keeppowers.

I love this light, and it's been my EDC since the day it arrived, but the levels being so much brighter than spec'd is disappointing, and detrimental to the runtimes.
In "Zebralight lumens" I'd say my neutral's 3/25/185 lumen rated l/m/h(which was "perfect", IMO, and what prompted me to buy the light) are more like 12/60/300.
Change comes slowly for small outfits, but I'll keep hoping to see more li-ion compatibility from Malkoff some day, and particularly better(programmable?!?) drivers for the MDC lights.
So far, I'm finding these complaints easy to live with. Same for the batteries. Great combo with this light, but the lack of warning before protection kicks in is always going to be there to put a bit of a damper on things.
Maybe someday there'll be a current regulated 3/30/300 lumen version with a body that accepts a 1400mAh 18350, cooks, and does windows. 'Til then, I suppose I'll just have to struggle through, and keep hope alive:D