Best LED Camp Light?

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I am going to recommend something I don't have, but something MANY other people will suggest. The arcAAA. You can read about it at www.arcflashlight.com. It fits the under $30. Go to http://www1.ecxmall.com/stores/texastacticalsupply/Detail.bok?no=95 That is the arc for $19, plus $5 shipping is $24 delivered to your house. I am thinking about getting one some time, but not in the next month probably. I already have a few big purchases coming up (scuba stuff-trip, fins, mask, and goggles, then I have christmas presents I will need to get), but maybe I will get it after christmas. It can replace my CRAPPY solitaire mag, which has all sorts of stuff wrong with it. It no longer works with a AAA battery either due to my mod with the 12 volt battery, and the lamp does not fit because the holes are larger now, about the size of an LED.

The ArcAAA (which you may or may not know is made by a forum member) seems to be the "(un)-official" flashlight, or at least led flashlight of CPF. From what I have read, it is great. I think it is for 30 feet and less, so it fits your 15' or less requirement. I am not so sure about the wide angledness (that isn't a word is it) of it's beam. Let me go check Craig's site real fast.... ( http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/zone.htm go there. )
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/arclight.htm for the review. Everything seems to be good to go on it, but I still am not sure about beam angle. Do a search on either arc light or arc AAA, and I am sure you will turn up a lot of results.

Not to nitpick or anything, seems like this should be in the LED forum?

Brock

Flashaholic
What can I say; I would lean towards the Arc AAA also. Now if you want brighter or longer lasting you could go with a larger 3 AA battery light, or a single AA CMG Infinity. The Infinity is not as bright as the smaller Arc AAA, but last 40 hours on a single AA.

Another still relatively small light I like the new Princeton Tec Attitude, it has 3 LED's and uses 4 AAA batteries so it is pretty small.

Another AAA light might be the Nightbuster Clipper, using 3 AAA and 3 LED's.

In the AA size and under $30 I would go with the Lightwave 2000, I have never scratched any of the LED's or bent them or anything, they don't stick out past the end of the light, so they are pretty well protected.

If you are worried about the LED's I would suggest the Nightbuster Ledda (3 AA's), it is similar to a 2 AA Mag, and brighter then one. It would by far be the brightest of these lights. It is about $35 though.

You can look at my site for relative brightness of the lights to one another.

Spork

Enlightened
i have the tec attitude also and I think its a great light. about 18 dollars from www.brightguy.com If you don't need a keychain light go with the attitude because its cheaper and much brigter.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the ARC-AAA for camping lately and I love it. 4 days worth on the regular Arc and 5 days on the LE. I used one battery for 5 days worth of camping, that included setting up the tent, going for walks, finding the bathrooms, finding friends, jumping in the river (yep, it's waterproof), the battery still had plenty of life left. I keep it on a lanyard around my neck so it's always around when I need it. There were times when it was the only thing I was wearing (see river comment)

I also own the 3 LED Princeton Tec attitude which is brighter but the ARC is bright enough for all my regular tasks, and if I need more I jump to halogen for greater penetration, my current favorites being the Princeton tec Rage. Plus you can use dead batteries from the rage to power the Arc. (I got 4+ hrs from a single battery that didn't have enough oomph to power the Rage)
I can also recomened the 3 LED, 3 AAA headlamp Petzl Tikka, which I also don't use much now that I have an arc. It is on sale at REI for less than $30. The headlamp configuration is nicer when setting up a tent, or cooking in the dark.

Ultra light backpacking? - no question, get the Arc!
Car camping? Any of the mentioned would be fine, but the arc is small enough that you can alway have it with you. Then bring a bright halogen light as well, you will use the arc 90% of the time.

Seriously though, buy the arc-AAA, you will not be disappointed.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, at least, there is one light that stands out. The Turtlelite II.

2 LEDs run off of 4AA batts for long life and smooth, bright, wide, even beam. Plus it's waterproof. Only downside is that it is not petite.

The PricetonTec Attitude looks like a nice light, but I prefer the greater energy storage of AA's over AAA's. The Arc AAA is also a great light, but in the woods I'd want a lot more runtime.

So, unless size is a big issue, I'd go with the T2. If you can spare a few more bucks, I'd keep an Arc or an Infinity in my pocket as a backup or when you need a light real quick and close at hand.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm new to the LED light craze, but I have been researching them extensively on the net for weeks. I bought the Energizer 2 LED area light at Walmart and I haven't decided if I want to keep it yet, the light output isn't what I had hoped for but for lighting a tent it may do the trick.

What I am interested in is a led light for general use, ie. short distance roughly 15 or less typically and a beam wide enough to walk in total darkness confidently. A price tag of not more than $30 would be nice also. I know I want it all but what the heck.

I seems that in order to compare to the light output of a mini-mag or other incand. light I would need multiple LED's! The Lightwave lights were interesting but no lens over the LEDs has me concerned.

Enough babbling what do you all think.

Thanks in advance,

P.J.

WarrenI

Newly Enlightened
Hey desert_freak; Do you feel like you just jumped into one big toy box? All the recommendation given here are great and proven. I go on quite a few camping trips with the Boy & Cub Scouts and this is what I take:

*LightWave4000; a bit big with 3 "D"s and 10 LEDs (this freaks everyone out), but one hell of a huge light and to 40+ feet, with days of all niters on the same batteries. Sometimes we just keep this light on all night. Rugged? Well it fell from a 6 foot ladder onto a concrete floor while being turned on (what a light show as it was falling). Not a bump to be found! As it spreads it's beam over a huge and far area, this is my main trail and camp site light...

*Arc-AAA; a great little light, perfect at the camp site around familiar areas. I do not recommend this on a night hike (even a short one). For most night hikes, you want a light to be much more powerful than you require. In the woods, everything has a dark color which absorbs light. This light will give you less than 5 feet with excellent brightness (too little for my taste) in this environment. You should see much further at home. Slightly short of full brightness run time, but still last quite a while for it's purpose. You may need to check the head once in a while, to ensure that it does not come off by accident. I have the latest model, which I hear is much better than the original, but keep tabs on this. I keep this on my keychain and it's the best in it's class...

*CMG Infinity; Great run time, but short of brightness. Excellent hardware. Makes an OK night light. If you get this, make sure it is for run time only and not beam power. My Arc-AAA has replaced this light for almost all use...

*CMG BonFire; OK tent light, but that's about it. I don't recommend it, but I still use it, just because I have it...

I know people don't really talk about the Turtlelite II, but this was one of the lights we were thinking of getting (in fact we may just pick one up yet). The trick to this light is to use lithium "AA" batteries. This reduces the weight and makes the light float, if it is dropped in water. The Turtlelite II has a much more usable beam than the Turtlelite I (too narrow).

Don't worry about exposed LEDs, as I don't think you would be able to break them easily. To clean, just wipe them down and if needed, use a cotton swab between the LEDs.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarrenI:
Don't worry about exposed LEDs, as I don't think you would be able to break them easily.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've damaged the LED on one of my Photons by just carrying in my pocket with the keys.
And they get scratched after a short time.

recercare

Enlightened
I would buy Petzl Tikka. It's a headlamp, but you can use it as a tentlight. You have to find something to tie the headband on to, or you can use a needle. It works great, and the light is very bright for its size.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by recercare:
...Petzl Tikka. ....you can use it as a tentlight. You have to find something to tie the headband on to, or you can use a needle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zipka is better, you can tie it without a needle to a tent pole (but have not tried it by myself). Just make a loop and put the light through the loop (around the pole or whatever).

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> The Turtlelite II has a much more usable beam than the Turtlelite I (too narrow).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah. Stay away from the T1 and its Dorcy cousin the Cool Blue. Beam is much to narrow for most uses. The T2 is a great combination of price, output, runtime, beam shape, and durability.
LEDCorp

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.
wink.gif

Spork

Enlightened
I have the turtle 2 and its a very nice light. However the princeton tec attitude is still brighter and about 10 dollars cheaper
smile.gif
Also the turtle is made in china which I really hate, if I had known that I wouldn't of bought it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

personally, i have a Lightwave (model?) with the 4 led configurement (while LEDs) and i have used it on many camp outs as my only light source. I love the damn thing. I can hike with it at night, and see everything all around me with no problems (it is surprisingly bright in pitch black conditions). Another great thing about that light is you can accidentally leave it on and not have to worry about waking up the next morning with a dead battery flashlight. It goes for about $30 everywhere (i got mine on ebay for $25 shipping included). Check them out, you probably wont be dissapointed !!