Eddie Bauer LED Torch

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

This is more of a photo test than an actual topic. However, while "on topic," anyone have experience with the subject? Pardon the crappy photograph. As I said, it is a test.
grin.gif

Eddie Bauer LED Torch

Edited 10/10/2001.

funk

Enlightened
I can see that it is marked Eddie Bauer, where did you find it? It is not on their website..............

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I purchased it at a store called Target in the West Coast. It was displayed in a locked, glass cabinet in the outdoors and camping section of the store.

It has now replaced my bulbless Pelican Super MytiLite. It is only my 2nd LED torch. While waiting for the ARC LS to become available for purchase and since I am satisfied and impressed with the ARC AAA, I thought it would be of benefit to try this one. I have searched the web for info such as specs or a review on this product but did not find any other than on Doug Ritter`s "Equipped to Survive" site.

The "blister pack" literature indicates that it was designed by German engineers, made in China, and distributed by Coast Cutlery.

So far, I've found use for the product. I'm waiting for anyone else to respond before I attempt to do a review.

Edited 10/10/2001.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I saw it at a local Target the other day as well.

I should remind people that I am manufacturer of lights so take what I say about a competitor with a grain of salt.

Eddie Bauer Penlight
Class: Convenience (pocket, key chain)
LEDs: 1, overdriven
Battery: 3 type "N" cylinder cells
Other notes: gray anodized or powder finish, metal housing, light collimator tightens beam, $16 retail, seems to be only available in white LED color, beam tint is a nice white, has built in resistor

Peter Gransee

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I saw that LED torch you guys are talking about and 2 other Eddie Bauer LED lights at our Target the other day. One of them looked about as long as a pencil. I have a CMG Infinity now, but have 2 ARC AAA's on the way from BrightGuy. I'm looking forward to getting them based on the comments I've read on this forum. Like everyone else I'm anxiously waiting on the ARC LS.

Gandalf

Enlightened
I asked about the 'tiny cylindrical lithium batteries' a week or two ago; I had seen this light, in red LED only, at the local Target store. I can't remember the price, but the batteries will be hard to find. It's quite small, but I'll stick with my Arc-AAA, and my ARC-LE. Batteries are *easy* to find, and if the Arc-AAA is too big, I'd rather go to a Photon type light. At least for the Photon, and similar LED lights using lithium coin cells, the batteries are easy to find. I've never seen the batteries for this Eddie Bauer little light. I haven't searched the Web, though.
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just removed the "proprietary reflector," as described on Brock's LED Flashlight Page:
http://www.equipped.org/pp/pic416.htm

I projected the light about 1 foot from a wall and side by side with the ARC AAA. The "spot" is about 8 inches in diameter; approximately half of that of the ARC AAA. The spot is "spotlight"-like and contains 1 concentric ring; three fewer than with the reflector installed. I like this effect.
...hmmm, this is getting interesting. This torch might be a "keeper." Time for some photographs.

Edited 10/10/2001

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
as described on Brock's LED Flashlight Page: http://www.equipped.org/pp/pic416.htm

I hate to be a smart-arse, but that`s Doug Ritter`s "Equipped to Survive" site, not our own Brock N`s site (which is http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led.htm ).

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,
No problem. Thanks for pointing out my error. BTW, I've been meaning to ask someone in this forum how to indicate a website in a post without all the numbers and characters (like RonM's post just before this one), eg, http//...etc. I'm somewhat new to this BB posting. Thanks in advance for any help.
smile.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I've been meaning to ask someone in this forum how to indicate a website in a post <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To post a link to a web site, just use the "URL" button below, under the Instant UBB Code. A dialog box will ask for the web address, then it will ask for a text label for the link. That simple.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should clarify that the URL button, etc., are visible when you're at the Post A Reply screen.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonM:
I should clarify that the URL button, etc., are visible when you're at the Post A Reply screen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sample Web Page

Got it. Thanks, Ron.
grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
And I was going to say, "hummm I don't remember doing that, but it seems like a good idea." You probably just got to Doug's site from mine.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
And I was going to say, "hummm I don't remember doing that, but it seems like a good idea." You probably just got to Doug's site from mine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is sure did. Sorry for any mixup I caused.
tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

This is only my second attempt at posting photos, so bear with me.
tongue.gif
Here is another "still" of the unit. This one when activated. And this one when projected from about three feet.

The lanyard is my own "creation." (...wait, wait, hold the laughter until I finish.
grin.gif
grin.gif
)
The original was a flimsy nylon loop that had already started to fray and pill. The half-inch split ring replaces the equally flimsy triangle "loop." The rubber cap protects the lamp assembly from scratches, dust and lint build-up.

Indicentally, the switch is a rubber-coated micro switch that has not once activated the unit while I've been carrying it the last 5 days; even while wearing a snug pair of Levis.

I mentioned earlier that I removed the reflector. That "arrangement " left the LED (removable, BTW) slight "wobbly." I inserted two more rubber caps, open at both ends after I cut that part out and one smaller in diameter than the other, into the barrel cap. That created an even tighter projected spot.

With the exception of the lanyard, I hadn't originally intended to do all these things to this torch but it has caught my interest. The ARC AAA was my first LED torch purchase. "Eddie's" is my second. I knew very little about LED torches, let alone LEDs, before joining this forum. This project has allowed me to learn a little.

It is surprising how much "usable" light this torch provides (amazing of the ARC AAA). I can't imagine what multiple LED units are capable of. If the LS LED is brighter than several of the Nichias, that will be something else!

BTW, the third frame is best viewed with all other ambient lighting turned off while viewing it on your monitor.

I think I'll keep this one at least until the ARC LS arrives.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
Unfortunately, the links given don't work.
It says "you are not the owner of this album" and then tells me to hit the Back button to correct the "error".
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...ooppps, try this.