More Pressurized troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottie

Newly Enlightened
A couple of nights ago I had trouble turning on my arc AA. When I finally managed to open the head there was a loud pop. I checked the battery (an alkaline) and there seemed to be small signs of leakage.
I now notice what looks like black gunk at the bottom of the AA housing.
I doubt that that was there originally.
Is that something I should or can clean out?
If so, does anyone have suggestions as to how to go about it and what to use?
Thanks.
scottie
PS. Maybe there are very good reasons to go with lithiums and not alkalines.

axnff

Newly Enlightened
I had the exact same thing happen with my AAA shortly after I got it (with the included Duracell). "Black Gunk" and all. A few drops of vinegar in the battery tube, a good rinse, and all was well (baking soda is used for Lead-ACID batteries, where you need a base - alkali - to neutralize the acid; vice versa for an alkaline battery; in theory).

Funny thing is, I had serious intermittency issues (100% occurrence - had to unscrew the head *each* and *every* time) with it and was about to send it back, but I haven't had a problem since.

scottie

Newly Enlightened
It was a duracell ultra. But it was not a new one. It was in a locker at my gym and I was curious as to how much the arc AA might get out of it. I guess I found out. Before it blew up it went for at least 9 hours - not too bad for a discarded battery.
Somehow I think that's the last time I'll try that experiment.

Ardy

Newly Enlightened
He He /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif the same thing happened to my AAA last year when I came back from Iraq. I personally think Peter does this to officially initiate us into the ARC family. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
On a serious note mine I think happened because I was in a plane for 20+ hours, so the pressurized cabine might have caused it. I cleaned it the next day, and It still is as good as new. I love these little marvels.
Cheers,
Ardy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

scottie

Newly Enlightened
Ardy,
A belated welcome back.
My question for you is how did you clean out your aaa?
Vinegar? Baking soda? Product X?
Is this a common occurrence?
scottie

Ardy

Newly Enlightened
Scottie
Thanks for the welcome. To tell you the truth I cleaned mine with good old reliable (WD-40) it worked like a charm and oiled the tread as oppose in using a silicon grease. Now some people might have different ideas. Alot of the time out in the field you don't have the luxury of having a home Depot, Ace Hardware or OSH with friendly staff around. So you have to use whatever is available.
BTW that only happened to me once now when flying I open the light and close it in the air and once on the ground ever since then it never happened.
Cheers,
Ardy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I hope you folks appreciate that these occasional pressure problems wouldn't be occurring if the AAA wasn't so well sealed against the elements. (Another case of no good deed going unpunished. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

scottie

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely.
And being a newbie I was actually wondering whether this sort of thing has occurred in any other maker's lights?

I do realize this is a battery problem though.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i doubt many others are this tightly sealed.
exept dive rated lights that have catylists inside to deal with battery gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.