Jogging light

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hi all, a quick question:

What lights do you guys take when you jog at night?

I'm especially interested in the effect jogging (i.e. the repeated shock over an extended period each night) might have on incandescent bulbs such as the ones in my e1e or g2z...

My jogging shorts don't have a belt, so I am carrying everything in my pockets (apart from the lightstick that is around my neck) i.e. with most of my shorts they are 'boardshorts' and the pockets are on the thigh..

At present I use one of the great light sticks from Wits' End group buy (with the lanyard) to make myself visible to traffic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif (I only turn it on as I see a car/s coming and switch it off after the car has passed) and I have also been carrying my inova 24/7...

Thanks

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally use a Pelican Headsup 3Led, it keeps your hands free and you don't need to have anything weighing down your pocket. Then again I usually run on trails, so I'll need to keep it switched on at all times regardless... Also have an Ultra G on lanyard on neck as a backup.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
When I used to jog I would switch between carrying the
z3 combat and the SL4aa7led. I carried the flashlight in my hand while I was jogging so it was always ready when I needed it.

Karpaasi

Newly Enlightened
I have the flashlight in hand while jogging. I have been using arc lsh-p, asp taclite or e2e/mclux mod. The flashlight don´t get used too much only to make myself visible to traffic.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally just carry my Infinity to make myself a little more visible to any oncoming cars, this is in addition ot the reflective belt I usually wear. I'm not needing it to see so the fact that it's not all that bright isn't a big deal. It is bright enough tomake me seen though.

stockwiz

Enlightened
I just ran my 4 mile route this morning in near pitch black/moonlight conditions and probably wouldn't use a flashlight. I did bring my Arc AAA just for testing and for running it's not bright enough. You'll probably want something LED like an Arc LS with a TSP2AA pack... small, durable, and bright enough yet the battery power will last through probably two or more typical jogs with the rechargable AA's... probably closer to 4 for me.

You could always take a few Arc AAA's and wedge them in your shoelaces if you are concerned about cars or just want a little light in front of you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Almost all running shoes have reflectors on the back that are quite visible to oncoming traffic from behind too.

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened
I saw a guy the other day Jogging with a head lamp and a red flashing/LED bike-light cliped onto the back of his shorts. It looked more like a guy on his bike. Safe and practical.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i reccomend a headlamp 'cause i'm used to trail running.. and it's a real pain to aim a flashlight during a 3 mile run bobbing and weaving thru trees and over roots.. i prefer a headlamp 'cause it follows my vision..