LEDCorp Aluminum Flashlight vs Princeton Tec Impact

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone own a LEDCorp Aluminum Flashlight? I was thinking of buying the Princeton Tec Impact but since they are both similar with one led, 4AA batteries, a focused beam, and similar prices, I'm wondering which one is the better light. Any suggestions?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carl. I bought the Dorcy alumimium torch which, AFAIN, is made by LEDcorp. I was not impressed with light output or the so called beam focus. However, I was impressed by construction of the torch itself, for the price. If a multi led array could be modified to it, I think it would be a very nice torch. Sorry. I have not got any Princeton's to compare it to.
shocked.gif

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your input Phred. Maybe I may need to wait for LEDcorp to put an LS bulb into it. I appreciate your response. Carl

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The LEDCorp "Our Best Aluminum Flashlight" and the PT Impact are fundamentally different in the way they create their
beams. The Impact uses a standard 5mm type white LED and a rather well-made lens to achieve a narrow beam (narrower
than that of a bare LED) while the LEDcorp model uses a specially-ground LED and a shiny reflector more like a conventional
flashlight. The LEDcorp model also has a somewhat adjustable beam; although like most other adjustable flashlights, you will
get the typical "doughnut" beam when you select a wider angle flood-type beam.

Pictures might be better to show you a comparison between the two flashlights.

lcvspt1.jpg
lcvspt2.jpg

The first picture shows the LEDCorp light at its tightest focus on the left, and the PT Impact on the right.
The second picture shows the LEDCorp light widened to approximately the same beam angle as the Impact.

As you can see, the LEDcorp light can shoot a narrow beam for a much longer distance, but the beam sucks when you widen
the focus out much at all. In that case, the Impact will have better beam quality.

In my opinion, I might choose the Impact if you didn't have to light something up more than 100' or so away.
Distance jobs are still best suited to a good incandescent torch like a Mag Lite or one of the more expensive lithium "tactical"
lights. LEDs do their best for short range situations - walking the trail at night, digging the camp potty, lighting up the tent, and that sort of thing. They also excel as household utility flashlights and blackout lights because they run for a long time on a set of batteries.