Bluetooth question--networking

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been researching this for over an hour and a half and have no more answers than when I started, so I figured that some tech-savy CPFer could help.

situation: I have my desktop computer and laptop sharing a wireless network and cable internet (the laptop has a removable WLAN card and B router manages the system). I recently upgraded my pocket PC PDA and since it's smaller and lighter than my old one, I have been using it more often.

Now that I've been using it more, constantly "docking" it hase become tiresome. My current model doesn't have bluetooth, but the next model higher (ipaq 1945) has it. I can buy a bluetooth SD card for mine for around $100 or I can spend the same amount and upgrade.

If I get the bluetooth, what do I need to add to my current wireless (non-bluetooth) system to share the network and internet? Would this attach to one of the computers or would this go onto the wireless router?
Also, a few months from now, I expect to be out of the house for quite a few weeks. I'd have my laptop hooked up to an ethernet connection while I'm at the hotel--is a networking card with bluetooth installed in the laptop possible or worth it?

Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

-Jason

Saaby

Flashaholic
First off we have 2 wireless technologies at play here. Wireless networking, IE the internet, is best via 802.11g or the more common 802.11b. Wireless networking can be put in your house, and then it's like a cordless phone--you don't pay any service fees on top of your normal internet, it's just like you replaced part of your wired network with radio waves, because you did.

The cool thing about 802.11b is it's in businesses and hotels too, though--so that's where the cordless phone analogy ends--but if we were to continue it than it would be like you could take your cordless phone to the hotel and, for a small fee, use your cordless phone with their telephone lines.

Basically, what you want is 802.11g (or b, which is cheaper but slower. g is backwards compatible to b.)

Bluetooth is a short range wireless technology not designed to wire devices to the internet, but to each other. My bluetooth phone can talk to my bluetooth Mac and get phone numbers and basic calendar information. When I get in my bluetooth enabled Toyota Prius the technology allows my cell phone to mute the radio automagically although my phone is still in my bag, I can talk to my caller over the cars audio system and then when I reach the destination I can switch the audio from my car's audio system to my wireless bluetooth earpiece. A little later I can whip out my Laptop and, since there is no 802.11b network where I am, I can use bluetooth technology to turn my phone into a modem over my wireless service providers network.

Bluetooth is a universal cable replacement technology. It's cool but unfortunately I understand it's really clunky and inelegant on Windows.

WiFi, that is, 802.11b/g are specialized network cable replacement technologies.

Get a WiFi card for your PDA and your Laptop. It's what you need to get on the internet at hotels, Starbucks, heck--even some McDonalds!

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Ryan--You told me more about bluetooth in a few paragraphs than I got in over an hour's research /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I guess I can get a SD WiFi card for the Pocket PC for around $100 then. I'll loose the ability to have the 256MB SD memory card in at the same time, but it'll be easier than spending the extra money and trying to upgrade without success. I'll get more use out of the WiFi than the bluetooth.

-Jason

DBrier

Enlightened
Many new PDAs, such as the Dell Axim X3i have built in 802.11b wireless networks, leaving your memory slot free.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Another vote for a Wi-Fi cardhere. 802.11x is becoming ubiquitous in larger cities and many of those connections are offered for free as an amenity in restaurants, coffeeshops and hotels. I think you'll get a lot more mileage out of a Wi-Fi card. I have a compact-flash-style Linksys Wi-Fi card for my IPAQ.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed on the WiFi as well.

As far as I can see, most of the time Bluetooth is more commonly used for connecting to handsfree headsets for your cellphone, and its a nice thing to have, to be able to walk about and talk on the phone w/out wires dangling here and there. As far as other usage is concerned, BT btwn a PDA and a phone can be used for writing SMS (text messages) messages w/o reaching out for your phone, or just a one to one connection (BT only allows for Point to Point) to transfer files. I am not sure if PDAs would allow for a hotsync via BT, but you can just use IR for that if you don't have your cable/cradle handy.

Stefan

Enlightened
And another vote for 802.11x technology. I have a Compact Flash wireless card that also doubles as a 128 meg storage card. It took a while to figure out, but synching between the laptop (on a wireless network) and the PDA to install files and such is quite a neat luxury.

It might help if we know what brand and model of PDA you have, and what cards it is capable of.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is an iPaq 1930--I'm going to get the SD WiFi card next week. I've found it for <$90 + s/h.

Thanks guys,
Jason

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Right... as said earlier, Bluetooth is really just a (short) cable replacement technology. Remember when it first came out and the industry was buzzing about "piconets?" I have yet to see that idea really take off in the way that Wi-Fi has...