Boy Scout Flashlight Competition

The_Seeker

Newly Enlightened
Good wishes from The Seeker!

Hello everyone, my name is John C. and this is my first posting here at CPF! This is actually a survey that I took the other day while at a Camporee Camping Trip at Baiting Hollow. But before that, allow me to introduce myself. I am a 14-year-old Senior Patrol Leader of Boy Scout Troop 229; in other words I am in charge of leading all the other members of our troop. Two weekends ago, the troop and I went on a camping trip at Baiting Hollow Scout Camp for our Spring Camporee (a Camporee is a camping weekend where troops congregate in one specific place for entertainment, competitive activities, and hard work). To cool off after a long day of cooking meals, earning merit badges, wearing uniforms, and hiking trails, everyone just wanted to sit around the campfire and roast marshmallows (this actually happens a lot less often than you think, or at least with our troop).

But I had something else in mind.

Prepared with my father's customized Maglite, which I dubbed "The Modifier" after Colt's "Equalizer," a small Princeton Tec Attitude with 3 LED bulbs, and my personal favorite Princeton Tec 40, I had them all fall in at the precipice of a sloping hill in an orderly line and told them to bring their flashlights. Having everyone state their name and flashlight name (specifics were necessary), I recorded their information on a clipboard and began what I called the Flashlight Roulette (although it had nothing to do with Roulette, it was a fancy name, especially when it came from my specialized welcome-everyone-I'm-your-host-for-tonight's-game voice). Presenting the prizes was my Assistant SPL, consisting of, in second place, a beautiful brass North American Hunting Club pin and key chain, in first place, a large brass belt buckle of Copperhead with the Diamondback imprinted upon it, and in first place for special circumstances, a second NAHC pin and key chain.

I announced the objective of the game: to see whose flashlight would have the farthest beam throw. Special first prize would be handed out to the scout with the most horizontal range. In other words, it would be awarded to the person with the most flood capacity.

Then, making it interesting and enjoyable by having the Scouts participate and laugh, I had everyone go down the line, shining the beam to the bottom of the hill and amongst the trees, and had everyone take notice of the way their beam was, how far it went, differences in color, reasons for the differences, and asking trivia questions of the flashlights as it continued. At last, the game came to the last two men; myself, with the Modifier at the ready but kept hidden, and the hulking giant cousin of my Maglite, a silver Maglite with three "D" cells. Mine, originally equipped for two "C" cells, was modified with three 123A SureFire batteries, metal tubing for a carrier, and a KPR 112 bulb. The scout shone his flashlight down to the tree-line, easily surpassing the others, and then, with a quick draw and a rapid press of the button, the inner clump of trees in the woods was pierced by a bluer but even more powerful Maglite. There was an intake of breath when these poor, innocent children with virgin eyes experienced firsthand the unparalleled and unprecedented power of the Modifier. The Northern lights disappeared in fright, and even the adults turned to be dazzled by the powerful radiance of some miracle rising to meet their gaze.

But, being older and a good sport, I made sure that I kept no prize for myself and only used the Modifier for competitive instances. Here are the results of my survey:

2 "D" cell Maglite: 1st place
Cheap incandescent (2 "D" cells): 2nd place
Mini Maglite (black): 1st place for spread
Mini Maglite (blue)
Plastic Rayovac
Red Coleman Mini: 1 AAA battery

What I found interesting was that the cheap incandescent, with no recognizable name, walked away with second prize. This means, all you Scoutmasters, that for advice to Scout parents, a cheap incandescent bought at Wal-Mart will suffice.

Also, Boy Scouts and anyone out there that deals with kids on outings like these: a very enjoyable and educational activity that will keep everyone talking about the competition and their own flashlights for hours afterwards. Just suggest it in your troop and give it a try! It might be something new for everyone.

Goodbye and good luck!
Simply, A Seeker

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Welcome to CPF!

That was a good post. I hope you are going to hang around. There are a lot of guys here that learned to "be prepared" a some point in the past.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Good report!

You should check with your English teacher and see if you can get a grade for this report! I remember in my younger day, the thought of having to do a 500 word paper would make me break out in a cold sweat!

Is there any kind of merit badge your guys could get for making a modified flashlight?

Does the Boy Scout magazine "Boys Life" still exist? If it (or something similar) does, sudmitt your report for publication.

cy

Flashaholic
Welcome to cpf...

I just went on a camporee last weekend with my boys. I passed out the 8 infinity ultras from a group buy. Also I passed out countycomm's $1 led flashlight. you purchase them 20 for $20. As most scouts/dads don't understand spending so much for flashlights. most think the $14.50 spent for the ultra G was a lot of $ for a flashlight. Everyone was pleased with the new LED flashlights. I ran out the the $1 flashlights and will need to order more for the rest of the scouts in our troop.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like everyone had a good time. Hopefully you helped create some flashaholics!! Good post, and welcome to CPF!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF - very good post, especially for your first.

But let me warn you - being a boy scout is something you should avoid. It will eventually lead to flashaholism. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif Wait until you get older and attend your first flashaholics anonymous meeting - it gets even worse.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
My 11 year old niece told me about an upcoming campout last month, so I offered to make her a light suitable for camp-outs. She said she wanted something small enough to carry easily, dim enough to read after lights out, and bright enough to blind the crabby troop leader if she got too crabby. She suggested maybe a 3 cell Mag like her dad's.

I offered her a choice on a dark evening. I upgraded her dad's mag to xenon. She was impressed. Then I showed her the Streamlight Twintask 2L. She lost interst in the mag. Then I showed her the Ppwter minimag with a Lux III and madmax+ with two stage kroll switch and NX05 optic that I put together for her. She set down the Twintask when I lit up the trees in the neighbor's yard with the minimag.

The campout was this last weekend. She took the minimag.

She was the envy of her camp. They were at a camp that was ravaged by the San Diego fires last year. The troop leaders were not warned that there were no other light sources at the camp because it was in the process of being rebuilt. My nieces's light would light up everything she pointed at but every body else had to settle for weak, sickly yellow beams. No one had even a xenon light. The girls were amazed that the same light would drop to low beam that was bright enough to walk around without disturbing others.

My sister in law (assistant troop leader) said my niece then led a discussion about different kinds of lights, and the benefits of throw VS flood and runtime VS output. Then she told the other girls all about a strange group of people called Flashaholics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wish I could have been there.

I think that the Scouts should have more of an education program about lighting. The lights I used (30 years ago) were pathetic and the same ones are still being sold as of 5 years ago.

Daniel

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
My lil sis went to camp with two lights I gave her, an arc aaa and a nuway 5w light. I'm waiting to hear stories when she comes back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I remember the days when I used to lug my maglite 3d on 30km scout hikes just because I could /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif Now I can do it with no more than my g2z w/ p61 (maybe i'll take my M3 next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif)

(i.e. I didn't know any better and it was my mission to maintain light superiority /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Welcome Seeker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif and I extend my left hand to shake your hand from a fellow Scouter in Australia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my boyscout days I used a Premier carbide lamp with an oversized reflector. It blew all other torches/flashlights away. Absolutely nobody could compete with it.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello John,

Welcome to CPF.

Excellent idea. I think I will drop a suggestion to our SPL and see if he will run with it.

In our Troop, the adults are the ones that "play" with the lights and discuss the various qualities.

Tom

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
"What I found interesting was that the cheap incandescent, with no recognizable name, walked away with second prize. This means, all you Scoutmasters, that for advice to Scout parents, a cheap incandescent bought at Wal-Mart will suffice."

Yes it may, but how sturdy was it constructed? The lamp/Led is the heart of a flashlight it is what make the light. However if the light is not sturdy enough to survive a drop without falling apart it's worthy of consideration.

Did anyone have any lanterns or headlamps? If so what was more useful around camp?

GregR

juancho

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, you write very well for a 14 years old, and probably very mature as you are a SPL in the Boy Scouts.
Hope to see more of your postings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Juan C.

B

Birmingham47

Seeker,
Welcome to Candle Power Forums. That was an excellent post. I was a boy scout as well many moons ago and your post brought back many great memories. My son will be ready for tiger cubs next year. I can't wait to build a car and compete in the pinewood derby again. (I mean, I can't wait to help my son build a car so he can compete in the pinewood derby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

I'd like to assist you in your path to enlightenment. (Pun was intended) You have a $40 dollar credit at my store. Shop around the sight and pick a light that you want to try out. (I recommend the Surefire G2 Nitrolon. You'll definitely win your next competition) Make sure you tell your folks first though. Have your parents give us a call at our toll free number and if you don't get me, tell them Andy said you've got a free flashlight coming to you. Reference this post. I'll tell everyone to expect your call. Once again, welcome to CPF.
Andy

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree! It is also pretty good for business. It certainly made me have a browse. Now I just gotta wait for some cash . . .

The_Seeker

Newly Enlightened
Hello from The Seeker!

First, let me apologize for not being able to respond until now. I have been quite busy with schoolwork and Boy Scout activities, but I am happy to be able to write again.

To begin, thank you for all of your comments. I really appreciate everyone's responses and I am very grateful for the warm welcome that Candle Power Forums has given me. I really didn't expect all these responses! I am very glad that you enjoyed my post. Since there are so many responses and questions, I'll address each one separately.

HogHead, thank you very much. I do hope that I will be able to stay in fresh contact with everyone for a long time.

Roy, my greatest appreciation. I am delighted you think of my posting so highly. Unfortunately, no, there is no kind of official recognition for flashlights, although it is an idea I can look into making popular in the future. And yes, the Boys Life Magazine still does exist. Maybe I should give it a shot. I can never know what to expect. Thank you very much.

Yes, cy, I completely agree. I am amazed at the fact that you had the means of distributing flashlights to the whole troop. It really sounds like a nice idea. If I am lucky enough, I might do the same and see what the effects are. Thanks a lot!

Yes, BigEd, I sure hope that I did create some flashaholics. Thanks for the welcome!

JimH, thanks for the warning, I probably don't want to know what the Flashaholics Anonymous will be like… /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Daniel, that really is an interesting story! You must be extremely proud of your niece. I wish her and your sister in law good luck in their Scouting. Also, like I mentioned before, I do think it would be a great idea to have more flashlighting influence in Scouting. I'll look into it.

Thank you very much, lightemup. I return your welcome and sincerity. I imagine you had fun posting all those Graemlins!!! Yes, the other boy with the sister Maglite has an older brother who has the 3D Maglite. I mentioned before that I'm from Troop 229. On behalf of us all, I wish you and your troop good fortune in your Scouting adventures. It really is a wonderful feeling to exchange conformities between troops!

SilverFox, I hope your SPL will give it a try. It is a fun and educational experience. Our adults aren't really concerned about anything else than sitting back and enjoying the moments when our scouts actually do work… hey, that happens all the time!!! Anyway, thank you very much.

I completely agree, Double A. My apologies if I misled anyone. Yes, I believe that as strongly as anything else. Also, thank you for asking that question. One boy from my troop, my Assistant, who did not compete in the competition, carried a Diamondback Gemini headlamp. This has an LED or incandescent option. It was very useful around camp, as a matter of fact. This left his hands free to do any work and provided two different settings, suitable for almost any in-camp and on-trail situation. This is another excellent companion, in my opinion.

Thank you, Juancho. I greatly appreciate your compliments.

Flashlights4less, I simply don't know how to express my gratitude. That really is a wonderful thing to do. I will have sent you a PM and will call promptly. My thanks a million fold.

Turt, my father also has a PT Surge in his car beside the glove compartment. I think it is a really handy flashlight to have around for emergencies and such. But the Boy Scouts are very mature about safety, and I make sure that there is no fooling around with any kind of tools, especially axes, knives, or powerful flashlights.

Well, my thanks again to everyone. Good luck in all of your future quests!

Simply, A Seeker.

kenny

Newly Enlightened
I have all my scouts build one. A nine volt battery fits just inside a standard pill bottle. If you get the old-people tops that screw on upsidedown and threads into the inside of the bottle (WalGreens -- Walmart dosen't carry this kind) then it also acts as a reflector. It is great with two LED's in series (direct drive) and one 47 ohm resister shoe goo-ed to the inside of the cap. We also shoo goo the LED's into the top of the cap. A $.65 cent sub miro switch from Hosfelt.com and it's time to rock and roll. It runs about $5 bucks, which is what a Dorcey single goes for at Walmart, but the whole point of Boy Scouts is to learn something -- how to solder, how things work etc. They burn for a long time on the 9V.