KL1 or KL4 for my E2e?

maverick

Enlightened
I EDC my E2e most of the time and I absolutely love it. I'm interested in getting an LED head for it. I was going for the KL1 when I saw the KL4 available at the shop but for more than double the price of the KL1. I know the KL4 is a 5W compared to the 1W KL1, but do you guys think the KL4 is really worth the money?

pyro

Enlightened
If you want/need longer runtime, get the KL1,
otherwise go for the KL4, it is relly impressive

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you have KL1, I doubt if you will carry your original E2e incand any more:)

Alan

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are good for their intended jobs. KL1 runs about 4 hours with very much useable light. KL4 runs somewhat over an hour on average with much more light but the sucker gets smokin' hot after a few minutes. Definitely a short burst type light unless you live in a cold climate. I find that the KL1 gets more use than the KL4 since most of my needs are met with a modest quantity of light. If you want something gadgety to impress your friends, get the KL4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Pyro and CM says, KL1 is bright enough and has good runtime. KL4 for Wow factor but less runtime. I'm happy with my KL1, mainly because I can use it in either 3,6 or 9v as compared to the KL4 which is recommended for max 6v only. While the KL4 lights up with 9v, but it is not recommended, as you could be shortening its lifespan. If you can find a Vitalgear 3x123 body, you can also choose to run 2AAs on your KL1 as well... Versatility is the word here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like the KL1. Although the KL4 puts out lots of light, it does generate generous amounts of heat too. It also has very limited throw. It's mainly a flood light. You may be impressed with it at first and then later come to know its limitations. I can say this due to the number of KL4's that I've modded with 1W and 3W luxeons for guys that just plain wanted or needed more throw.

If you need a good all purpose light, I'd go for the KL1. It's very flexible and cost effective. Now that I think about it, I should also mention that I just got one in to mod for a fellow CPFer and it had a high dome luxeon in it.

If you don't like the beam of the optic, you can drop a $6 reflector in it to take care of that problem. You could also have the KL1 overdriven later, to make it brighter.

I do have to admit that the KL4 is pretty cool, but I think the KL1 is a more useful workhorse lighting tool. Four hours of runtime with a respectable amount of useable light is a hard combination to beat.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
maveric,
There are three 3x123 bodies that work with the KL1:
Vital Gear 3x123
McLux 3x123 Power Pack
UBH = Universal Battery Holder, made by DSpeck

These will also work with two AAs.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the KL1 and KL4 and L6 and I would go with the KL1 first(great runtime)for the E2e and consider the L5 or L6 later for loads of LED light, the KL4 is excellent but as you pointed out quite a bit more than the KL1.Or follow the CPF credo and BUY BOTH .

maverick

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies guys! I ended up buying the KL1. I think the KL1 is probably better for me because I really rather have more runtime over more lumens. thanks.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Alan said:
Once you have KL1, I doubt if you will carry your original E2e incand any more:)

Alan

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops... I meant KL4 but my fingers was out of control ....

Alan

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got 'em both....and love 'em both. You really can't go wrong with either choice. Especially if your a flashaholic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came in late. But since you can't decide then you should have waited for the L2 Lumamax with 2 stage power controls. Sell off your E2e and purchase the L2. Or if you have the budget keep the E2e as well but I bet you would not really use the E2e anymore with the L2 Lumamax. With the L2 Lumamax you have the best of both world!

Andy Ho