Calling in some backup please! Big Adventure

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Fellow CPFers,

How are you all doing today?

Well I made this post because this december I am going to Costa Rica! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif I am going with my family, my dad's parents, as well as their two other kids, with their families! There are a total of 14 of us going! We are going because of my grandparent's 50th annivesary. Check out where we are going too, right here.
peace.gif

Well here's what I need your help with. Even though we are going in December over winter break, I would like to start planning out what I will be bringing flashlight wise. I might even buy something just for the trip, and that means saving up....so I'm getting off to an early start.

We are going to be staying in a gated community with our own house that has 8 bedrooms...so you get the picture, it's pretty big. We are going to be staying very close to the beach, I believe it's only a few minutes walk away, which might be very fun at night time!

As far as runtime and batteries go, I found out that Costa Rica electricity is exactly like ours! 120V, 60hz, and same plug type.

Okay, so here is what I'm thinking about bringing and why. Let me know if you think I should omit anything, or add anything. I'm also hoping to get some pelican cases for my lights, to keep them new and organized! I want to impress my family too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1.) SF L4 - hopefully with some pila's
Good for walks and medium to close flood lighting.
2.) ULtraStinger - Rechargeable and bright, good for walking but bigger and more punch.

3.) MiniMag w/MM Lite Lux3 WO Bin-T - Hopefully if Wayne ever gets these back in stock I will get one. This will make a nice task light as well as walking light, wtih good runtime.

4.) Blaster Jr. - Good through and probably won't need spare batteries for either.

5.) Tri-Star PHAZER - Awe factor and just amazingly bright light!

6.) Arc AAA's and CMG UltraG's - Task lighting for everybody.

So what do you think...should I add more or take away some or both? Let me know. Thanks for your help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S. Can't you just see me leading the group at night with my L4 in hand, Phazer in the other, Arc AAA around my neck, UltraStinger on my belt, MM on my belt in a holster, and Blaster Jr. in a cargo pocket. Try and outshine me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 4D Natural Wonders Lantern fitted with a white EverLED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think I need a DragonHID. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
First thing you need to do is be sure you'll be able to get all this stuff on the plane. The baggage inspectors may get a little weird. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
You might want to check and find out if they have a "monsoon" season and if so, when is it. Panama in December has some of tghe biggest rainstorms I've ever seen.

Nice selection of lights.....although I think both 4 and 5 would be overkill....Think I'd substitute an Anglelux 3W for it's 9 hour runtime.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't able to learn exactly where you are going, but unless it's on of the "adventure" operations, you won't find it much different, at least in the towns, than you would in rural USA. Just take what you'd take if you were visiting Grandpa's farm.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
stockwiz,

Thanks for that link. I fixed my original post. I omitted "http://" and for some reason changed it to some weird HTML thing that had http://www.candlepowerforums.com on the front of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I don't know if there is a monsoon season yet, but I shall look into that.

I sure hope they let me on the plane! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you will be heading down to the beach, you need to make sure the lights you are using can be rinsed off. Even if you are not going into the water, the salt air/spray can get all over stuff and yiou don't want to put away a salt covered light back into a bag with other electornics Remember to rinse off any polycarbonate lenses with fresh water before wiping it with a cloth. The dried up salt crystals can create tiny scratches in the lens.

Aloha

Brian

Greymage

Enlightened
I don't like taking expensive lights on vacations, even to relatively safe areas, except specialized lights like a light cannon where there's no alternative.

Why not take a couple of UK 4AA eLEDs? They're cheap, easy on batteries, and waterproof. I'd go with a few of those and a minimag with sandwich.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went on vacation with only my Eternalight Elitemax, McLux PR DB917, and a minim@g with an opalec for backup. I managed just fine with those lights, though at times I wished I had brought my MR-X! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif