can this light be made

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o im thinking of this for a while ok a big light mag 3d size but with 5 3 watt lux,s one shineing straight ahead the other 4 a very very slight angle almost stragt but a angle on side of the one that points straght and over drive them all.i want a light thats very very bright.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is very similar to the design i'm working on look for '10W LED Canon' post... I'm considering beaming the 3 i have just slightly outward to make a bigger hot spot.

The problem you'll encounter with 5 from 3D is what driver to use... to run 5 you'd need about 23W of power... that is over FIVE AMPS from the batteries... my NiMH battery pack could actually take that.. since it's 15.6V vs 4.5... it would run for almost 3 hrs... a 'D' battery actually does hold a lot fo juice.. if you could run the current levels it would last just as long, but i don't think you can pull 5A from a 1.5V cell.

A more realistic option is to have (3) lux 3s.. or maybe even (4)... i've seen numerous models with 3.. and i like the idea of them pointing outward a little... I may be upgrading my design to 4, but i have a high V source, so can use a vey efficient buck ckt (90% efficient).

I did a serach at power.national.com and found LM3478 which says it could do the trick.. but with the Vbatt.. wouldn't do an online ckt for me.

-awr

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie,

Check out Elektrolumen's Pentalux. It is the closest thing to what your looking for that I know of.

akula88

Enlightened
I'm looking at other approaches such as :
1. 6-LS with optics. Alternate 5-watt for flood and 3-watt for throw. That could result in a sort of Helios by Inretech. But I think you need 6 cells, so 1/2-D may have to be used -- I'm not sure if it does work.

2. 3x3watts with a middle 5-watts, all reflectorized ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm seeing comments that EL Pentalux is more like a floodlight that a spot, but its not supposed to be since all the 5x3watts LS have reflector.

For me, a long and big hot spot with a wide sidespill is the best possible beam. Similar to a P91, but with a LED. A slight angle on the luxeon could possible result in separate beam.