Anyone heard of these before?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I've just bought an FX Glo-Toob (A marker/dive LED light which cost about £20 GB pounds. I'm pretty impressed with this device which is made in South Africa. I didn't like the plastic film which covers the tube and carries the company logo. However, this is easily removed and once the sticky residue is cleaned from the clear epoxy a very functional device is revealed.
The FX version allows the user to select one of several light modes and is easily set up by even the most untechnical.
I think the IR version might be of particular interest to some of you guys in the Police and Army etc.

The link is: www.Glo-toob.com

Let me know what you think?

Doug

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
FX Glo-Toob

I think I need some for my cave rescue squad...
Replacing the cyalumes. I just found Cyalumes expired in 1987 in our store.
Although I would prefer AA or CR123 cells on these ones.
Every year we have the problem to spend the money we get.... .-)

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FX Glo-Toob

[ QUOTE ]
PeLu said:
I think I need some for my cave rescue squad...
Replacing the cyalumes. I just found Cyalumes expired in 1987 in our store.
Although I would prefer AA or CR123 cells on these ones.
Every year we have the problem to spend the money we get.... .-)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's the Krill which works on 2xAAs or 2xAAAs (Mini-Krill). http://www.glowingcrazy.com/products/index.html#f

p-blue.jpg

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the Glo-Toob FX is a first-rate device. It's near indestructible, versatile, has color options, is waterproof to... well, farther than you'll be going. Much has been made about the "hard to find" batteries, but really, if Walmart stocks them (and they do), how hard can it be to get them? Plus, they have a long runtime, especially when in any of the strobing/flashing modes.

I agree with the removal of the company label. It only detracts from the functionality. I prefer the green one, as green is bright and very attention getting (with no other lights, save traffic signals, being green).

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:Much has been made about the "hard to find" batteries,

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not that the batteries are hard to find, it is that you need them at the time of a rescue operation.

Yes, the Krill is an option, but I have the impression that the Glo-Toop offers better quality for less money (here in Europe).

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened

"walmart stocks them" i'm assuming is just for the batteries, not the glo-toob's?

[ just wanted to be sure so i can tell my wallet to calm down! ]

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Pelu

Yes I should have used a different title for this thread but hey who cares!
I dont know many places in europe where you would get the batteries from but I did a quick search on www.7dayshop.com (based in Guernsey) and they have them in stock. Theirs are made by Panasonic and are really cheap at GB 0.79 pence.

My calculations suggest that 4 batteries would be enough for a 76 hour cave dive and then some. due to the battery size I dont think weight or stowage are problematic?

I've bought mine for use on my uniform at night. Having used similar but vastly inferior quality marker lights I've found that either water ingress or physical damage caused them to quickly malfunction. Some of these similar markerlights were more expensive than this LED marker so I'm reasonably confident I should not have to worry about replacing this Glo-toob too quickly.....although only time will tell I guess?

Doug