Laser Pointer Proves Parallel Universe?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The multiple-universes theory is not new, although it is unique in being perhaps the worst interpretation of quantum mechanics. Hypothesizing an infinite number of new universes to explain a finite number of experiments is exactly the opposite of what scientists should be doing.

Stefan

Enlightened
I've briefly studied this subject in high school physics. It was the double-slit experiment, and has to do with the frequency of the light mostly. I would elaborate, but after reading that theory, my head hurts real bad.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Can't help but wonder how much SF lights cost there and if they take Paypal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JOshooter

Enlightened
I like the last line...

[ QUOTE ]
Why does it have to be a parallel universe? Why can't it be just be left to something that we don't yet understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just having talked about anti-matter (the opposite of protons) in my physics class today I understand it better than I would have.

I think this is a summary (if it is or if it isn't, I have a headache now):

The shadow thingamajigs are like the bars on a prison door, your interactions are restricted by them. You can only touch what is in a certain range, in other words, where the photons can interact with each other is where the red appears on the wall, the shadowed areas are basically prison bars.

nisshin

Enlightened
I believe the problem is trying to cast the experiment into the particle or wave camp. On the one hand, you have waves (the double slit interference experiment). On the other, you have photons going through holes along with their "shadow" partners. But in reality, both of these simple pictures don't tell the whole story. Quantum mechanics tells us that, in fact, particles have an infinite extent as long as its particle nature is not defined by an observation. Therefore, even though we want to think that one particle is going through one hole, it really is one particle going through many holes at the same time. Weird, but it's a better Occam's razor solution than introducing parallel universes and their shadows.

Empath

Flashaholic
Anyone using the words proof and evidence in place of hypothesis hasn't a clue to the workings of science. At best it's an interesting campfire tale, but certainly nothing approaching proof, or even evidence.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Stephan was the first to point out, it's just a re-hash of the dual slit experiment showing the dual nature of light as both a wave and a particle. This is nothing new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You can read about this in detail all over the internet but one good article is HERE

I'm not sure it reflects on multiple-universes in any way, but it definitely shows you neat things about the current universe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif