Possible M6 LED problem

Tino

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Pelican M6 LED flashlight and received it today. It works fine but the LED itself has a very thin hairline crack right in the center as well as a fairly deep crack that goes down pretty far into the LED 2/3 the way to one side. It doesnt seem to affect the output but I'm worried that the LED will fail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Has anyone noticed any cracks in their Luxeons but had it work for a long time with no problems?

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were in your position, I'd send the flashlight to Pelican to be safe. They have a reputation for standing behind their product.

I haven't noticed cracks in any of mine....yet.

evanlocc

Enlightened
Well, is that a real crack or just the tiny wire inside the LED. I have noticed that my CMG-Ultra's LED have the same sight.

Tino

Newly Enlightened
No its unfortunatly not the wires. I can see the thin wires going to the sides. The one hairline crack which is probably as thin or thinner than the wires, its on the center of the bulb but heck it looks like its so slight that it can be buffed out if I ever wanted to be stupid enough to do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The second is a much deeper visible crack off to one side. I played around with the flashlight some more and it didnt look like the crack got any bigger due to heat or anything.

If changing the LED on this pelican is easy, I might even want to do it myself because shipping it to the US would cost the same as buying a 1W or 3W luxeon. I can try and repair it for the price of shipping it back to them for warranty.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
tino - where do you live ?
some countries have their own Pelican Service centre - i know australia does
if not - the distributor will probably send it back to the US/closest service centre for you