"Tactical flashlights give civilians SWAT-team..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velcro

Enlightened
\"Tactical flashlights give civilians SWAT-team...\"

[ QUOTE ]
High Beams
Tactical flashlights give civilians SWAT-team candlepower.

BY CLIFF GROMER
Product photos by Spencer Jones

tb_flashlightslead-lg.jpg

If it were a nightmare, you could wake up and it would be over. But this is worse. It's real and it's just beginning. That noise that startled you from a sound sleep can mean only one thing. There's an intruder in your home. If you're smart, you have a plan for this kind of situation, like picking up the cellphone by your bed and calling the coppers. They're trained to handle this sort of thing.

Even so, with your family's well-being at stake, you feel an urgency to act--now. You reach for your trusty 12-ga. shotgun or .357 Magnum. But, there's another piece of defensive gear that's just as important--a tactical flashlight. Developed initially for special forces in the military and law enforcement, these lights, with their intensely bright beams, are also available to civilians. They offer protection by temporarily blinding an intruder. Unlike a room light or a conventional flashlight, which shows the bad guys where you are, tactical lights are designed to identify a target without turning you into one...

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the full article at Popular Mechanics.com

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \"Tactical flashlights give civilians SWAT-team...\"

It's just a matter of time before the US politicians see this kind of stuff and use it as an opportunity to make a show of protecting the public by declaring these "tactical" lights illegal for civilians to possess. Just watch.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \"Tactical flashlights give civilians SWAT-team...\"

I find it hard to imagine living in a state where the public is not armed. I guess I have to face reality. The let me carry guns here, it would be hard for me to believe that they would go after the flashlights with out first getting rid of the firearms. Now they might someday take the guns away here....then I will start worrying about my lights.

Heck, I gave the local County SWAT some lights. To make them tequal to me...LOL

bald1

Enlightened
Re: \"Tactical flashlights give civilians SWAT-team

Jon,

I think facts are starting to have an impact. Have you seen this current article on FoxNews.com?

Whither Gun Control?

Here's a portion of the text:
[ QUOTE ]
This month, the Million Mom March in Washington drew an anemic showing of only 2,000 people, while this year, all of the Democratic presidential candidates— however unenthusiastically— spoke of Americans' Second Amendment right to own guns. These are just a few of the signs that the facts finally seem to be catching up to the movement. The future for the movement looks even worse.

Whether the subject is concealed handgun laws (search) or bans on semi-automatic so-called "assault weapons," (search) gun control debates have been filled with apocalyptic claims about what will happen if gun control is not adopted. One common prediction is that laws allowing the carrying of a concealed weapon will result in crime waves, or permit holders shooting others. However, with 37 states now having right-to-carry laws, and another nine states letting some citizens carry, permit holders have continually shown themselves to be extremely law-abiding. It is becoming more and more difficult to attack those laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I'm not all that pessimistic that articles like the one referenced in the lead post of this thread will inflame any anti-tactical light outcrys.

--Bob

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

In a state where they have outlawed smoking at many beaches (and more all the time), and the senate has passed a bill allowing police officers to cite drivers who in the officers "opinion" may be driving unsafely (e.g. eating, talking to a passenger, etc--try fighting that), there are many many politicians looking to make a name for themselves the only way they can, by progressing eliminating freedoms that they can spin into threats to their wealthy supporters. If it looks good in the newspaper and on TV, I'm afraid the facts have nothing to do with it. The TSA wouldn't let my wife take a small painting that she had done on the plane with her recently because they said she could use the plywood it was painted on as a weapon. Military looking flashlights with things like nasty bezels and "blinding" light output may not be so far down the list.

bald1

Enlightened

I do concede your points but still feel that sanity would prevail. Then again, we certainly don't live in a "sane" world /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Best!

--Bob

BillBill

Newly Enlightened

I know this is a completely different situtation than tactical lights but it shows overreactive legislators at work to bandish seemingly dangerous stuff:

Large model rockets containing more than 62.5 grams of propellant require an explosive licence even though solid motors are not explosives (think about a bomb going off on launch pad) and very few people can get one. So rocket vendors are going bankrupt because Congress thinks that rockets can down planes, disperse chemical weapons, and destroy grond targets. This is absurd.

Now, I may sound like a charlatan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif but this situation is ticking off a lot of high power rocketeers; their hobby will die of attrition.

just to let you know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

bald1

Enlightened

Bill,

I knew they had to license the explosives but I didn't know that getting the licenses were so difficult that it is driving folks from their hobby. I recall seeing a TV show not too long ago (satellite) which had a huge gathering of amateur rocketeers using great numbers of small Estes and other solid fuel motors to launch a variety of systems in different classes. Some were hilarious and it appeared a good time was had by all.

--Bob

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

I could not imagine trying to take an E2 Defender onto an airplane.
Also remember that while Fox news may be reporting one way the other main news channels usually report another way.
It always amazes me how many people I know think the same as I do regarding politicians and politics in general. It amazes me even more how many of those same politicians are voted back into office because so many people refuse to vote at all. Want to stop politicians from taking away more of your rights, vote out the incumbents.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Closed...drifted too far off topic.

--dan

Status
Not open for further replies.