Which color led should be bundled w/ my HideAway?

FrontSight

Newly Enlightened
Hellooo CandlePowerForum mavens and Light experts,

I am trying to figure out something, and it occurred to me (doh!!) that you all might know the answer.

I'm trying to decide that if I should stock microlights to go with my HideAways, then:

1) What color Photons should I order to go with my knives.

2) Is there any other light I should consider besides a Photon? The thing I like about Photons is:
a) I've just always like them. So much light in such a small package.
b) They magically seem to get positioned correctly with my knife when attached through the bottom lanyard hole.

Carrying 2 lights is not an option. At best I'd expect to break even on them, because I wouldn't be buying them in more than 20 at a time, and because stocking anything (ordering, tracking inventory) is a pain.

However, I think as a convenience for folks buying my knife, I should do it since several have requested it. It would save them a shipping charge from ordering it from someplace else.

This is what they look like on my knife.

HideAwayPhotonGoldChainr.JPG

This is my roommate showing where the light falls if it's connected to the lower lanyard hole in the steel. The photon seems to be the best form factor for this.

rHideAwayPhoton_resize.jpg

FrontSight

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Hey Frontsight, how are things?
If I were you, I would probably stick with the white one. It's the most generally useful color. Well, in my opinion anyways...
Damn...I really need to get one of your knives one day. Don't ever stop making 'em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bald1

Enlightened
Re: Which color led should be bundled w/ my HideAw

Out of all the Photons I've had I prefer the green LED. White simply isn't bright enough to "blind" an assailant like a Surefire or similar torch would. But the green does nicely to illuminate a "target" with good contrast. Just my two centavos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Bob

DumboRAT

Enlightened
LED for HAK !

Hey F|S ! Great to see you here again ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You know, I never thought of how well the Photon might "point/index" with your HideAways, and I truly think that your second photo - which encouraged me to try it on my own Mick Strider collaboration Ti HideAway - *_really_* goes far to show how well this combo truly works!

Bravo for another ultra-cool idea!

Now, here's two small problems.....

First, I'm not that well versed in the small LEDs category. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif As such, my ability to help you will be very, very limited.

Second - and this is expecially important for those of us who like to carry our HideAway in the Yurco Pocket-Protection Sheath - is that the Photons, due to their switchgear design, tend to accidentally/untentionally discharge quite a bit when placed in-pocket, when anything, even just the fabric of, say, a too-tight pair of jeans, tenses over or puts pressure over the switchs of the light.

This second reason is why many of us "pocket light" carrying flashaholics switched over to products like the ARC AAA. It takes a bit longer to put into use, but it guarantees that it won't be depleted of battery-power when we need it, nor accidentally (and somewhat red-faced) go off by accident in a darkened theater.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

From where I stand, I can see this Photon-HAK pairing, though, being very useful when the HAK is worn in any other type of sheath, especially the breakaway neck-chain and at the beltline with either a leather sheath or Kydex, especially where an overlying piece of clothing should just be able to conceal the knife, but allow the attached Photon to dip below the hemline and act even as a pull-cord.

:TU:

Now, as to what other light would I want to see?

That's a horribly difficult question - which, as I'm learning, is something that you are most fond of raising (I confess to have spoken to good Karambit brother Paul ["rph"] just a few days back).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For me, the leading problem is that there's a big size/weight/bulk -to- "power" trade-off. And in close second, switchgear and their tactical value/accessibility.

I'd love to see something that's capable of delivering as much light as, say, a 55-65 lumen output SureFire 6-Volt flashlight paired to my HideAway, but physically putting the two together would more than defeat one of the major advantages of having the HideAway - it's small size, ability to be concealed, and ultralight weight.

The ARC 4+, or even the ARC LSH-P, would be quite a step down in terms of light output, but comes close to being able to be paired in the method above. But with these units also come the problem of being able to simultaneously manipulate the HAK *_and_* even just turning on the light.....their switchgear is not as optimized for our needs as per the Photon.

I'm almost wondering if it perhaps wouldn't be out-of-line for me to recommend that you again go the collaboration route. Work with a few known knife-loving flashlight modders and makers, such as Jets22/QIND (good friend of Sniperboy and myself), Doug Speck (who was once a knifemaker, and still is close with Peter Atwood, who, BTW, is himself a confessed flashaholic), or Mr. Bulk (whose crew includes many flashaholics who are knife enthusiasts).

Maybe they can design something *specially tailored* for the HAK both in terms of (1) size, (2) output -which, honestly, I think that although something like a Photon or an ARC AAA would do well in terms of acting as a distraction device or "utility" tool, really does very little in terms of gaining you a true tactical advantage (as opposed to say, a SureFire G2- and (3) switchgear.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

FrontSight

Newly Enlightened
Re: LED for HAK !

[ QUOTE ]
bald1 said:Out of all the Photons I've had I prefer the green LED. White simply isn't bright enough to "blind" an assailant like a Surefire or similar torch would. But the green does nicely to illuminate a "target" with good contrast. Just my two centavos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Bob, does green also do a better job of saving your night vision?

[ QUOTE ]
ErickThakrar said:Hey Frontsight, how are things?

[/ QUOTE ]Pretty good! Just trying to get through grad school and grow a bicep. My 2 goals for the year.

[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:
Hey F|S ! Great to see you here again ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks Allen!

[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:You know, I never thought of how well the Photon might "point/index" with your HideAways, and I truly think that your second photo - which encouraged me to try it on my own Mick Strider collaboration Ti HideAway - *_really_* goes far to show how well this combo truly works!

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks! It seems to fall just in the right spot coming out the side of your hand. The loop of ball-chain is adjustable based on preference.

[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:Second - and this is expecially important for those of us who like to carry our HideAway in the Yurco Pocket-Protection Sheath -

[/ QUOTE ]Right - I was thinking more for neck or belt carry.

[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:That's a horribly difficult question - which, as I'm learning, is something that you are most fond of raising (I confess to have spoken to good Karambit brother Paul ["rph"] just a few days back).

[/ QUOTE ]Who, me?? ::halo::

[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:I'm almost wondering if it perhaps wouldn't be out-of-line for me to recommend that you again go the collaboration route. Work with a few known knife-loving flashlight modders and makers, such as Jets22/QIND (good friend of Sniperboy and myself), Doug Speck (who was once a knifemaker, and still is close with Peter Atwood, who, BTW, is himself a confessed flashaholic), or Mr. Bulk (whose crew includes many flashaholics who are knife enthusiasts).

[/ QUOTE ]Really interesting idea Allen. Is it possible to custom-make something of the form-factor of the photon with lots more brightness? ::showing my ignorance:: I was picturing that most modding takes place on a much larger form factor.

The ideal light would span 1) Utility 2) Tactical 3) Survival purposes but be consistent with the form factor of the HideAway. (A HideAway weighs ~ 1 ounce, many can be concealed behind a playing card, and is 1/8" thick.)

Now Allen I know you have that in your back pocket, just FESS UP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FrontSight

bald1

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Bob, does green also do a better job of saving your night vision?

[/ QUOTE ]

Frontsight,

Better than white /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif There is an excellent thread elsewhere on CPF about the pluses and minuses of different spectrum LEDs including the impact on night vision.

I just like the "contrast" that green provides plus the eye is very sensitive to green light. Check out the use of green laser pointers for their extraordinary visiblity for such applications as astronomy where a modest powered laser can literally paint clouds and reach up as if to touch stars.

Best!

--Bob

Talonite "pioneer"
Never to be forgotten: James Mattis, Walt "Doc" Welch, Rob Simonich

UPDATE:
Here's a link to the Night Vision thread:
Night Vision

and perhaps much more pertinent to your quest, this thread/post by my friend, the late Walt "Doc" Welch (not an eye doctor but a ER physician and hospital administration executive):
Doc's recommendation for Photon color choice

Hope these help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

I still like this photo from your web site:
hands-free.jpg

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

To directly answer your question i would say stock either white or green leds. or heck, why not both?

DumboRAT

Enlightened

Hey F|S ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Per white/color and how "bright" things can get.

I just got one of Brock's (Jets22/QIND) small N-cell lights, which is slightly longer (by about a half-inch), slightly heavier, and slightly larger (diameter) than my Photon, but way, way out-class it in terms of light output.

I'm not sure what LED Brock used, but he hand-selects, and this one is a green one. I'm pretty "immune" to both the light output and color of either my ARC AAA-LE or my blue Photon II, but this little sucker actually made me quite a bit uncomfortable peeking into its beam.

Per preservation of naturally-adapted night-vision, I find that either of my green-LED lights, which includes not only this custom by Brock but also a production INOVA X1, that they actually are both bright enough to knock-out my night vision for a rather longer period than I would truly like.

I originally bought my X1 with the intent of capitalizing on its very focused, very narrow, no-spill beam for use as a map-reader for wargaming....but I've found that due to its brightness, I will only use it if the map's print prevents me from using my red-filtered SureFire. It's actually a little too bright, and I'm rather certain that this little light by Brock will have the same "problem," especially if you should happen to shine either onto a light-colored background at close range.

I think that there is the ability, with custom light-makers and modders, to bump up the usable output of the light quite a bit - to at least enhance the value of the light as a tactical device even if it still (due to technical limitations) be considered a "tactical light" as per SureFire's definition of that term.

But the cost of this will be just a bit more bulk, and a question as to the dollar-amount necessary to at least make the project break-even.

But then again, I've always thought the same of a quality light as I've thought of a quality knife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

PS: F|S, will you be at Blade ?

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Hurry! Run!

Front Has Found US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Heh. Yo! Front! What's up! Nice to see you on the CPF. (You do know that Photon's are a less than amazing small light choice? May I suggest an alternative or two?)

Or am I about to get spanked?

Brian

FrontSight

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
bald1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
this thread/post by my friend, the late Walt "Doc" Welch

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks bald1, I saved that!

[ QUOTE ]
bald1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
I still like this photo from your web site:

[/ QUOTE ]bald1, I like these 2. It looks like the Photon is arguing with my HK P7M13 9mm magazine :).

sheathlightround.jpg

LightRecoilHigh_resize.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:Per white/color and how "bright" things can get. I just got one of Brock's (Jets22/QIND) small N-cell lights, which is slightly longer (by about a half-inch), slightly heavier, and slightly larger (diameter) than my Photon, but way, way out-class it in terms of light output.

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks DumboRAT! I imagine I could buy one from this forum?

[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:PS: F|S, will you be at Blade ?

[/ QUOTE ]Definitely not Allen :-(. Will be working on grad school stuff, or trying to anyway, then will be in Barcelona for work for a very quick tri.

[ QUOTE ]
thesurefire said:To directly answer your question i would say stock either white or green leds. or heck, why not both?

[/ QUOTE ]Cost and hassle of stocking an extra version of the same thing. I would always be out of 1 or the other, and the person ordering would want the other.

[ QUOTE ]
BMStrong said:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif Hurry! Run! Front Has Found US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run!

[/ QUOTE ]::click:: ::click:: ::tape:: is the sound of a future Stellite HideAway getting locked up, taped up, and held hostage till BMStrong learns to behave himself!!

[ QUOTE ]
BMStrong said:Heh. Yo! Front! What's up! Nice to see you on the CPF.

[/ QUOTE ]Sir, have I ever told you that it cracks me up the way you [... potential for many things to be inserted here...] call me "Front".

[ QUOTE ]
BMStrong said:[/You do know that Photon's are a less than amazing small light choice?

[/ QUOTE ]No.... I didn't know that... ::she says in an annoyed tone, because if she knew that, she wouldn't be on the verge of ordering some, and baad BMStrong knows this, and therefore definitely deserves severe spankings!

[ QUOTE ]
BMStrong said:[May I suggest an alternative or two?

[/ QUOTE ]I am holding my BREATH !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

FrontSight