Pila 168S, first time!

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped my first Pila 168S in my E2d with a McLux PR 5W BB750 V3U.

I used it around the house over the weekend and at work as my EDC. I was lining my boss on a follow-up repair job when the light just quit! I wasn't sure how a Pila acts when the battery goes dead but I guess that's it. It just shuts off with no warning. No moon mode and I didn't notice any decrease in output. I read in another post where somebody said that you only need one Pila. If you only have one, you better have a couple CR123A's for back-up!

I checked the battery after I got home and it read 2.6v. I thought that the discharge cutoff was 3.0v?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I charged my first Pila 168S on a ElecriFly Triton by Great Planes. I set it to charge at 300ma. After 304 min., it took 1271MAh and read 4.12v.

I wonder what the max. charging rate on the Pila charger is?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FrenchyLed said:
When a pila is discharged you have to buy another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
At $27 a pop, I'll have to find a second job to support my habit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... sounds like you have a problem with used-up Pilas Frenchy. Feel free to send them my way... I'll even pay for postage if you ship more than 2 together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can sent the used ones my way then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Klaus

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the cutoff voltage? I can't be the only person that ever checked a Pila 168S after it cutoff, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Revived this a bit!

After using a Pila 168S with a McLux PR BB750 5W V3U on a E2d for a week at work I dropped it into my E2e with a KL4 head over the weekend. Made part of the day as EDC when the light output dimmed! I thought that it would work like it does with the McLux PR, just stay bright and shut off suddenly. It was like that for several minutes. I put the Pila back in the E2d, it powered-up and shut off. Back into the E2e and it wouldn't power-up. I checked the battery voltage and it was 2.2v compared to another cell that I ran in the E2d till it shut off at 2.6v. I thought that the Pila determined the low voltage cutoff point? Doesn't sound like it here, does it?

On another point, I connect my Fluke 189 to the E2d at the negative to the tube. I read 1.9A and with a Fluke i1010 clamp amp meter, I got about 1.5A. It's a BB750 and I guess that the 750ma is measured elsewhere?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
After 304 min., it took 1271MAh and read 4.12v.

[/ QUOTE ]
How were you able to measure that the cell took the 1271mAh? -Like with a Maha 777 charger?

Your Q re: the 750 Badboy:
That 750 should refer to just the amperage that finally gets to the Luxeon. (NOT what the boost circuit itself needs to operate).

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
After 304 min., it took 1271MAh and read 4.12v.

[/ QUOTE ]
How were you able to measure that the cell took the 1271mAh? -Like with a Maha 777 charger?

Your Q re: the 750 Badboy:
That 750 should refer to just the amperage that finally gets to the Luxeon. (NOT what the boost circuit itself needs to operate).

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1271mAh was from a Triton charger and a second cell which was discharged to 2.2v, the C777PLUS-II was actually 1929mAh at 4.25v when finished. Charging current on a C777PLUS or PLUS-II can be higher than capacity as the manual states, discharge current is more accurate.

That's one thing about the PLUS-II, you can discharge "only" or discharge/pause/charge. If you don't catch it in the "pause", you can easily miss the value.

I thought about the current question myself and came up with the same answer as you provided too.

I emailed Pila about the discharge voltage cutoff point.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a reply from Pila about the low voltage cutoff.

No cutoff value given, I may reask the question. They said that due to manufacturing differences, low voltage varies between all cells/sizes. They say for increased life span, don't run them down till the low voltage point is reached!

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had several emails from Pila. One stated that a light wouldn't dim but just shut off because of battery's low voltage cutoff. My KL4/E2e does go dim! The answer was that the 168S was designed for a SF 6/9P only although they work in other lights. They included somebody elses list of lights in which the 168S fits y/n, works y/n. It listed a SF L4, so I mentioned that a KL4 head on a E2e is a L4.

Here's a cut/paste of their answer!

Quote:
As stated in our reply, Pila Li-ion are optimised to work with Pila flashlights and the "S" batteries with SF P6 and P9. The comparison list I had attached was compiled by Flashlight Reviews for information only. The risk remains with the customer to use Pila batteries with flashlights other than with specified and approved by us.

We have duly replied to your concerns but I regret not being able to be of further assistance,

Best regards,

Jennifer Wong
Quote end:

Well, stick that in your E2e! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bit to add to this post about charging Pila 168S with MAHA MH-C777PLUS and MH-C777PLUS-II.

The C777PLUS charged for 24 hrs, so much for the 13 hr safety cutoff! It never terminated, so when pulled off the charger the battery read 4.12V.

Another Pila 168S which had been charged the first time on my Triton charger wouldn't terminate after 8 hours on the C777PLUS-II, read only 3.99V. Finished it off on the Triton. Funny, I used the C777PLUS-II on another of the three 168S's I have and it finished but took five hours.