Dat2zip MM Lite WO or Terralux MiniStar2

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
Want to drop a luxeon into minimag as a gift. What's the opinions on the sammich brightness, off-center hotspot optic vs. being able to focus the Terralux with the reflector? Or are there others out there worth looking at?

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
TwoGun
IMHO, your best bang for the buck is a MM Lite/Lux 1 HD ($30) and an S017XA reflector. You'll need a fat O-ring on the top end of the reflector to hold it in the bezel so focus works OK. You put that stuff into a MiniMag and the performance difference is absolutely striking!!!
While the TerraLux works pretty much as they claim, it isn't nearly as bright and the focus doensn't work nearly as well as the combo Monolith and I described.

Greymage

Enlightened
There's no comparison, go for the MM. I'd go for the the MM with LuxIII-T, but even HD MMs are really bright. I got a MiniStar2, but use it in a nightlight, it was too dim to use as a flashlight (compared to LuxIII T mods).

lennonsbug

Newly Enlightened
I have the MM Lite 1W HD Lux w/Fraen. As UncleFester says, I think it is a great light. I think it has very good throw. Perhaps, I need to try the S017XA if it is an improvement.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
[ QUOTE ]
lennonsbug said:
..... Perhaps, I need to try the S017XA if it is an improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm working on an answer to this question as well. I want to upgrade a legacy MiniMag so that I have an AA rechargeable light (lots of NiMH sitting around here), and since it's a legacy light, I don't want to spend over $30. Reason? $30 is the price point of a new Nitrolon G2, and of course, there's no comparing... (and not only because they are different lights and designed to do different things)

This is what I've discovered so far:

TerraLux Ministar2
------------------
Runtime : Approx. 6 hours (from their graphs)
Current consumption : 304mA
Brightness : 213,100mcd
Emitter : 1W Luxeon SE (side emitter)

MadMax Sandwich 1W HD
Runtime : Approx. 2 hours (CPF anecdotal evidence)
Current consumption : 804mA with alkalines
Brightness : 244,000mcd with alkalines
Emitter : 1W Luxeon HD (lambertian)

The current consumption, brightness and emitter data comes from the LED Museum - that site is fantastic, we really need to thank the guy for reviewing every darn light out there that is worth even glancing at. All the data I need is found right there in one neat place.

I'm leaning towards the TerraLux since it has a longer runtime and I might need a longer-burning light since the rest of what I have and plan to buy all fall into the category of high output lights. Burn the candle at both ends, get half the runtime.. looks like the quest for performance AND runtime has been going on forever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course, I've been spoiled rotten by the E1e+KL1 combination which delivers 351,000 mcd (again, LED museum review) AND runs pretty darn long, AND is tiny, and is HA3, and uses a really premium white HD Luxeon, and .. and .. etc.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Is the side emitter really that bad? I've always liked batwing/lambertian Luxeons, but never really had a chance to compare.