VIP Candle Mode Head Interest

Otokoyama

Enlightened
MR Bulk's VIP can stand on end with either the stock Kings Crown tail cap or the Twisty. I've designed but not yet prototyped a candle mode head that slips-on over the stock head. With the the VIP standing on end, it would provide 360 degrees of light perpendicular to the axis of the body, though restricted to the lower hemisphere ... not wasting light upward, but directing it downward and around.

Either the reflector would be "orange peel" or the lens would be such that light is very diffuse. It would add roughly an inch to the overall length of the VIP, and probably be 1.25" in diameter.

Alternate designs might restrict the light further to 180 degrees or less, allowing brighter coverage of a smaller area. A candle mode head that restricts light to approximately 90 degrees might well provide suitable flood use.

A design goal is to provide sufficient light on the VIP's medium setting to permit easy reading.

If you would be interested in purchasing such a product (guessing about $35), please let me know what sort of restriction you would want on the beam, or any other ideas you might have.

Thank you.

pyro

Enlightened
Cool,
i tried to do something similar for an ARC LS,
but my results were really poor.
I am in for one!

btw, will the VIP addons ever stop?

felder

Newly Enlightened
I'd probably be interested, I'd like to see some pictures if possible though.

zackhugh

Enlightened
Otokoyama,

I HATED the idea of a twisty because it would have eliminated the elegance of the King's Crown (a unique feature of the VIP) and would be unnecessary (the length of the VIP doesn't bother me). However, because of your nice design I broke down and ordered one. I'm not sure I "need" one of these candle mode heads, but could probably be convinced to buy one with another winning design. Can I say maybe, pending some line drawings or pictures?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

geek

Newly Enlightened
Mildly interested, pending photos and firm pricing. (Another definite maybe!)

Otokoyama

Enlightened
There's a bit of an effort in writing the program to calculate the reflective surface required for the proper beam, which I didn't want to undertake unless there was sufficient interest. Also, I'm currently unable to prototype this myself as it would require a CNC lathe or mill.

Sounds like this will stay on the back burner for now.

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
I'd be interested in a candle head, but I'd prefer as diffuse light as possible ideally in a 180 degree hemisphere. Another option would be to use a plastic bar diffuser as Innova did on the X5...I really like that combination and would be very very interested in something similar for a VIP....I would think it would be pretty simple to construct...all you would really need is an adapter ring to go between the threads of the VIP power head and a friction fitting around the plastic rod.

Radagast

Enlightened
Is it designed to be just head up. I'm asking because I'd like to be able to hang it too, mainly inside a tent. I, too, would like diffused light.

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
Radagast,
That's what I was thinking also....I use my X5 for that purpose now, but the VIP would be much much better as a general camp light if it could be used as a tent light as well (think a clip installed via the lanyard hole in the KC)

Otokoyama

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Radagast said:Is it designed to be just head up. I'm asking because I'd like to be able to hang it too, mainly inside a tent. I, too, would like diffused light.

[/ QUOTE ]An upside-down tent adapter would be different ... more of a super wide angle dome, which has also already been designed. The Twisty's 1/4-20 mounting hole would be convenient for hanging this.

Looks like people would like to see prototypes.

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
ok then...what I'm interested in is the "super wide angle dome", not the "candle mode head" sorry for any confusion!

Is there a thread for it?

Otokoyama

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Elnath said:ok then...what I'm interested in is the "super wide angle dome", not the "candle mode head" sorry for any confusion!

Is there a thread for it?

[/ QUOTE ]No, there's no confusion. The "super wide angle dome" is currently only in my head. It's really only a protective dome over the LED, so the "beam" you get after removing the head would be what you get with the dome.

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
IMHO, it would work better to have more of a diffusion effect (i.e. like frosted plastic) to get the kind of hemispheric light we were discussing....have you seen the Innova Wand? It's pretty close, but would be better if shorter and having a hemispherical end instead of a circular end (it's just a cylinder)

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
I remember that....very nice. I think for the single emmitter, you could just use a piece of frosted acrylic rod of the right diameter....a couple inches long...that would be a really easy mod. Whatever you come up with I'm probably interested...got to have all the VIP goodies right?