several headlamp mods

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened
I have been busy moding headlamps recently. Here are a few.

specimine 1:
Easter Seals 4D head lamp. The battery pack is the waist mount kind. This has been modded to have a 3w with a fraen LP and a 3w with a pelican reflector. There are two switches (one for each light and they can both be on at the same time) one is a rocker stlye and the other is push button. It has a copper heatsink and part of it sticks out to the headlamp. Both lights share the same heatsink.

f81f7704.jpg

Specimine 2: Easter Seals 4D with waist batterypack. The battery pack now holds 8AA and a powerpuck to drive a 5w LS. It uses a hotlips heatsink. The reflector is a mag reflector and it has a rocker switch. It provides exelent throw with a nice side spill for walking.

f81f7c65.jpg

f81f7c60.jpg

Specimine 4: JustRight 4D. Without the battery pack. Insteed there is a 7.2V NiMH battery glued to the top of the inside of the helmet. This battery is controlled by two powerpucks in paralell for 1.4A and powers a 5w with a mag reflector. There is also a rehostat that can dim this down if heat ever becomes a problem or less light is wanted. The 5w is on a big aluminum slug. There are also 4 AA's glued to the top of the inside and they power a 3w DD with a mcflood reflector. The 3w is on a smaller aluminum slug. Each light has its own switch and they are independant. The 5w has an incedible beam that throw a mile and has enough side spill to see where you are walking. The 3w gives a great up close and walking/crawling light when throw is not needed. And it acts as a back up in case of the 5w fails.

f81f7709.jpg

Specimine 5:
Cylcops 3AAA LED Krypton. It has had its krypton bulb replaced with a 3w DD with a cut down pelican reflector. It still has the original 3 LED's. Both lights cannot be on at the same time. The 3 leds are great for upclose stuff.

f81f8200.jpg

f81f820d.jpg

Specimine 6:
Black Diamond lunar. It is 3AA and DD on a 3w with a fraen LP.

f81f73b4.jpg

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just in case you didn't notice, the Lunar has a two stage switch. You should be able to rewire it for dual brightness.

gmarshall139

Newly Enlightened
Those sound great, I love some of the classic headlamps, and glad to see them getting new life. I have an easter seal 4aa that I got off ebay cheap. It now sports a couple 8mm white led's powered by a black & decker versapak battery. I guess your's are for caving, as is mine.

How does your dimming circuit work? I am putting together a LuxIII from scratch and have been looking for a dimmer. So far the new nflex driver from georges80 seems to fit the bill better than anything. What sort of optics do you like? I'm trying to decide between the fraen 30 and 45 degree patterns. Any recomendations?

What sort of optics do you like to use?

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened
gmarshall139:
The dimmer is just a variable resistor. It goes from 0 Ohms to 25 Ohms.
I am using mag reflectors, pelican reflector, and fraen LP.
Lux Luthor:
Thanks for the tip, I will have to check that out.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I cannot see the pictures. I am happy to see someone else modding headlamps. Headlamps interest me much more than flashlights.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Blue_Shift said:
gmarshall139:
The dimmer is just a variable resistor. It goes from 0 Ohms to 25 Ohms.
I am using mag reflectors, pelican reflector, and fraen LP.
Lux Luthor:
Thanks for the tip, I will have to check that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget the tip. I could never get a uflex in there, but if you can fit an nflex, use it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gmarshall139 said:...What sort of optics do you like? I'm trying to decide between the fraen 30 and 45 degree patterns. Any recomendations?

What sort of optics do you like to use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not blue_shift, but the Fraen medium has a grill pattern in the beam. The wide one does too, but it's finer and not nearly as noticable. Then again, you might not be as anal as I am about smoothness, so I'm not saying you shouldn't use it.

The wide one's a bit wide for my tastes. It really lacks throw.