Surefire History : When was each light released?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just wondering a bit about SF history. They go back quite a while, but I only have their 2002, 2003 and 2004 catalogs in .PDF format. And of course I have no idea about the chronological sequence in which the lights were released, and what year they were released, apart from the 6P, which the 2002 catalog mentions "since 1987".

Was there anything before the 6P? When did all the other models come out? I'm aware that the E2D and U2 Digital Ultra are this year's models (U2.. we hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), and that the E1 classic was discontinued last year, but not much else. It'd be interesting if someone has a timeline of all the lights, when they were launched, when they were EOLed (End Of Life, sometimes synonymous with End of Sales. May not be in this case because lamp assemblies continue to be produced and support is still forthcoming).

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire History : When was each light release

That's alot of info to gather. Surefire started with a weapon light in '84. The 6C and 6P came a few years later, as did the 9P. Earlier models also included the 6R, 3R, 7Z, 3P, 6Z...

I'm surprised SF hasn't done a history timeline of its products...

--dan

FNinjaP90

Enlightened

That would be cool! Maybe PK could chime in on this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've never had much luck trying to find out when various SF models came out. A little research didn't turn up anything, and I only got one response to a question a while ago. My most-recently-aquired SF is a very old 6R.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought Surefire start out making laser sights for guns?

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

How old is that 6R Abtomat? (is it the one you won over me on ebay? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If I'm remembering my history right (and chances are I'm not) I'm thinking the 6C was somewhere around the 2nd Surefire released. And possible after the 6C came the 6P with something about an LAPD contract along with it? *Please don't take any of the above to be fact, it comes from deep in my memory banks where there are no Surefires to light things up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I hope Al or PK or Stewart or the like will jump in a shed some light on the situation. (pun intended)

-Mike

Size15's

Flashaholic

I bet PK knows less about this then collectively we as CPF do. We have collectors here after all.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Right, I think SF started off making those laser sights like Arnold had on his longslide 1911 in the first Terminator movie.

Yup, that's the 6R (had internal corrosion, by the way, and the seller no longer responds to emails.) I once thought that the 6C and 6P came out around the same time, but I'm not sure.

juancho

Enlightened

I bought two Surefire 6 (for a while they were called only 6, the 6 "C" was the same light and in the cardboad boxes was printed Surefire 6 C, maybe to differentiate from the 6 P. "C"= civilian P= police.)
well, my purchase was in May '89 and they were pretty new them. my numbers where #1639 and 14xx.
I have since sold the 1400 number.
The 4 page brochure I had introduced the 6 and it was very intructive, now this brochure is in Arewethereyetdad possesion.
Why don't ask him to post a picture of it?
The 1987 date that is mentioned in some Surefire literature could be the very first one or a patent' date.
So the chronology could be Surefire 6 and them 6P with the marked 6 "C" to differentiate after the 6P was in the market.

Juan C.

Here are some early SF's from my collection (left to right: 3P, 6 {aka 6C} & 6P). The 6C is the beauty I purchased from juancho).

Early_SFs.jpg

juancho

Enlightened

Very nice picture, Troy.
Can you put a picture of the brochure I gave you?
It will make a very interesting addition to this thread!
take care
Juan C.

This might bore some of you, but for juancho and me, it's fascinating...this is the brochure juancho included in his sale of one of his 6C's to me. We believe it's from 1988 (the year, incidentally, that my Kansas Jayhawks won the NCAA Championship /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif !) I digress. Anyway, the brochure discusses alot of the features of the Surefire 6 (as it was known), including how it blows away a 5 D Cell baton light. This light came in a plastic hinge box and was released, I think, just prior to the 6C, which was the same light in a black and gray cardboard box. Anyway, here are some photos from the 1988 brochure (I'll try to keep any photos of Danny Manning out of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )....

6C_Brochure_Set.jpg

6C_Brochure_Front.jpg

6C_Brochure_Open.jpg

6C_Brochure_Back.jpg

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, that photo of the 6C, 3R and G2 are from me! Woohoo!

Anyways, here's a few more:

6cbox.jpg

literature.jpg

--dan

juancho

Enlightened

Arewethereyetdad: Great pictures of the flashlights and the brochure that I had for so many years, (I am emotionally touch)
I think that this thread should be linked to "Surefire collection" so that this imformation stay in one place easily assesible.
Can you do that, Troy??

Juan C.

dano, thanks for your photo contributions to this thread. Great stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

juancho, sure, I'll link it over to Surefire Collections. Good idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif