Osram 62138HLX for Aurora/Mule/Phoenix Class

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
This post was returned to the thread on 2/8/06.

I just received a bunch of Osram 62138HLX 12V100W bulbs from Specialty Optical Systems. These are Gy6.35 size but with a very small capsule. Specifications indicate that these will not tolerate much overdrive but it seems to handle a reasonably fresh (though not straight off-charger) 11-cell KAN1800 4/5A pack. That's 14.2V dropping down to 13.7V in the first minute. Not bad. You may know these bulbs as the HOLA for the Blitz 240 spotlight that Sway has done so much work with.

These bulbs have a small axial filament to go along with the small capsule. Since the overall size is smaller than the 64623HLX I based the primary Aurora design upon, the LCL (filament to base length) is also shorter and puts the bulb at the very limit of adjustment on my Aurora prototype.

So how do they work? Aside from reservations about the stated 932F operating temperature, this bulb kicks ***. The filament is small and wound tightly so that there is minimal axial distortion. This means it throws a wickedly tight and perfectly circular spot. Wow! The light color is also very pure white. Much whiter than the 64623HLX driven to the same levels. The CCT must be in the range of 3,600K-4,000K. Simply stunning. This is the new $3 wonder bulb.

I believe that the 64623HLX, when overdriven to 15V-16V will absolutely crush this bulb, but the '138 performs much closer to the edge at lower voltages and thus will maximize the punch of a smaller battery pack.

Since this bulb is not listed in the Osram online catalog, specifications are nonexistent. However, I will be doing some comparative testing tonight and return to post beamshots. One thing I do notice already is that within 10-15 feet, it doesn't seem as oppressively bright as the 64623HLX simply because so much of the light is concentrated in the hotspot. The retina just saturates above a certain level. The '623 by comparison throws a massive, winged hotspot that spreads out the light and creates a "wall" to go along with the central spot.

Look for garage and 200' tree shots with the 3" turbo head as well as pictures of the bulbs later tonight.

Wilkey

Note: I am working with Carley on a design for a deep-dish 6" aluminum reflector similar in aspect to the excellent RF2102. The initial prototype run could be for as few as 20 units in the $50 range. Think of a Vector 2MCP reflector but with 30% better collimation efficiency and the ability to be threaded for direct mounting onto a Mag body. Grotesque? Sure, but incomparable for throw with a specified 6" central spot at 500 yards. I imagine the HID boys could have a field day with this baby.

edit: corrected Osram bulb number

Last edited:

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sure looks like the bulb. I'm glad I didn't pay $8.25 a piece though. I see no "pie slice" at all when shone on a blank wall at 10'. The support wire is the same diameter as the filament...thin.

Yep, 64623HLX.

Wilkey

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, FpNinja, the site list it as being manufactured by Siemans, which might explain the cost difference as it is being touted as a replacement for a medical light, which they always charge more for!

Bill

udaman

Banned
Misc. ramblings Ginseng....but:

1. Was that a 'mind fart' there, 6in spot or 6ft at 500yds? Umm, I don't even think the Megaray can do 6inches at 500yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif My hand is longer than 6in!

2. Can you do some stealthy shots too (regular Mag head?).

6in dia reflector, OMG it's a Rick James 'superfreak'. Maybe fine for 50w HID, but where do you put the ballast? Ah, are you going to get a blank version of this and stuff it into the Dorcy spotlight w/24v Osram?

3. If it cannot handle much overdrive, then we should figure btw ~2300lm at 12v and <3000lm slightly overdriven, thereabout?

4. Can you post picts to compare in size with the H3 that bwaites is using on the 'Mule'

5. So what do you think of the slightly larger H7, 12v 2100lm 65w bulb? Wouldn't this be usable with 12AA's in a Mag3D mod, for longer runtimes, but standard 100w halogen output when slightly overdriven (which it should handle well being an autobulb)? I don't recall, but I thought the H7's were about the same size as H3's, smaller than most autobulbs, at least diameter wise.
bwaites 'Mule' thread

You know, I keep looking at the Hella projector HID aux driving light, and it's less than 2in in diameter, maybe 5in. long. Too bad we don't have access to CAD software to roll our own. Imagine 2in dia. body with seemingly innocuous 2in head, that holds 50w projector HID inside. Heck even the standard halogen headlamps for high-beam on autos with projector lows, are only around 3-4in in diameter now, can't we "graft" a pencil beam driving light housing like one of those onto a flashlight body?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Yeah, bulbman's bulbs are pretty pricey, but they have the cheapest TP61 GY6.35 sockets I could find.

So I'm guessing the 62138HLX has about the same bulb life as the 64625HLX? A lot of white, high efficiency, but only with a life of 50hrs. That sorta places it in a different category than the 64623HLX and the IRC bulbs, which can be overdriven more and still have a respectable lifespan.

6" at 500ft from a 6" reflector? That's a perfectly parabolic focus. Is that even possible?

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey,

A most excellent find in the axial filament LE and at a wonderful price now I can feel safe to playing around with mine a little more knowing an affordable replacement can be found....Er tell me they will be avalible at sometime soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A 6" Turbo Head you say, yes this HID junkie would be all over it. Me looks at my 3D Mag beater /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Looking foward to the beam shots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Later
Sway

J_Oei

Enlightened
First on the list!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm in for whatever.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Osram 62138HLX Aurora2 Beamshotz

This post was returned to the thread on 2/8/06.

Here are the photographs I promised. If you want to know the bottom line before slogging through all the stuff to follow, here it is: The Osram 62138HLX is a robust, bright, white bulb which throws a powerful spot and massive amounts of spill. It is brighter than the 64623HLX and nearly as bright as the highly strung 64625HLX when comparably driven. This bulb is highly recommended for demanding 12-13.25V applications.

All beamshot photograph pairs were taken with locked exposure with a Sony DCR-PC120BT digital videocam. The garage shot was taken in digipic mode while all other shots were taken in video capture mode.

1. Comparison of Bulbs
This is a tabletop shot of the bulbs of interest. From left to right are the 62138HLX, 64623HLX and an H3. The '138 is clearly the most compact both in terms of overall size and filament dimensions. The one in the '138 is easily one-quarter of the size of the one in the '623. The '623 is actually identical in overall size to the H3 bulb but you can see why you probably won't get the same performance out of a garden-variety H3. Just look where and how that poor H3 filament sits. Strangely, the '138 is the only Osram bulb I've handled that has no identification on the base.
QQQbulbcomparo.jpg

2. Garage Door Beauty Shot
Here is one of my favorite shots. The three lights at play are, from left to right: Vector 12V 2 million candlepower spotlight, Aurora2, Dorcy 6V 1 million candlepower spotlight. All units are freshly charged. The Aurora pack had rested for 2 hours after auto-shutoff while I was out shopping.

All subsequent comparo shots are taken with the Aurora2 and the V2MCP. Clearly, the Dorcy is not in this league and would not make an interesting comparison. Even the Mag85/MC85 kicks its *** soundly. Also, you can tell from the oblong central spot that it is the only one with a horizontal filament bulb. If I hadn't paid only $17 for this light, I'd be pissed. The V2MCP is a far better performer and a better value at $29 although it is less balanced in the hand.

Aside from the immense, overwhelming central secondary and tertiary spots thrown by the Aurora2, you can also clearly see the beautiful color of the beam. It's just white, white, white.
QQQAurora2Garage.jpg

3. Backyard Forest Shot
The distance is about 200' to the target stand of trees. I used a tripod but still got some smearing due to light movement in my hand. You can see two things of interest here. The first is that the V2MCP throws a damn tight spot as would be expected of its 6" reflector. It's also got a very bright central core. The second is that the central core of the '138 bulb spot, while perfectly circular, softens up at long distances. This is something I have observed with every axial filament bulb I've ever tested. I've expounded at length on why I believe this happens so 'nuff said. The '623 and '625 render brighter and more intense cores than the V2MCP at great distances particularly because they are H-filaments. I can't say enough about the spill light of the '138 even in the 3" head...it's just massive. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide...at least for 7-10 minutes
QQQAurora2Forest.jpg

4. Front of the House Central Spot Comparison
In this pair of snaps, I'm aiming to show that even though the '138 has an external (to the filament) support wire, it casts no "pie slice" artifact. The V2MCP, which uses a more robust support wire does. The V2MCP is on the left, the Aurora2 is on the right. Exposure is turned way down. Again, very useful spill light. The very special 64440/64447IRC bulbs have a unique central support wire and thus cannot cast a "pie slice."
QQQAurora2House.jpg

5. Down the Street
These two shots are down one end of my street. About 1/5 of a mile to the house at the end. Unfortunately my aim was not precise so the Aurora beam is a little left and down, but you can see that in a pinch, either of these two lights would make a useful automotive headlamp. The house at the end can be lit, not brightly, but clearly. The V2MCP is up top, the Aurora2 at the bottom.
QQQV2MCPStreet.jpg

QQQAurora2Street.jpg

Well, there you have it. I did not take any snaps comparing to '623 bulb. I played with both quite a bit in the house and thought that the '138 was worth showcasing. It is brighter and casts a qualitatively different beam than the '623/'625 bulbs. Its performance and beam characteristics put it in a category all its own...right at the head of the pack for spec-driving or mild overdrive. For extreme output, you would be very hard pressed to beat the '623 or 64447IRC pushed to 15V or 16V. On the Aurora pack, I'd estimate the '138 makes in the neighborhood of 3,700-3,900 lumens. Closer to the '625 than the '623.

Wilkey

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Osram 62138HLX Aurora2 Beamshotz

Wilkey, were these shot with the big or small reflector? Its hard to tell in the laying down pic!!

BTW, awesome and thanks!!

Bill

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great shots. Thank you very much for the writeup and your view.

Curtis

WB

Newly Enlightened

Very cool your neighbors must love you!!

Bill

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

udaman,
I did indeed specify a 6" spot at 500 yards. Of course this is unattainable with any incandescent bulb I know of but it was a design requirement.

Sorry, I just didn't have the will to take stealth head shots. If there is interest, I will do so.

I have no experience with the H7 bulb. This isn't the 9007 bulb is it? In any case, it would be pulling almost 5.5A, a demanding load for the AA form factor as we are coming to discover.

A 35W or 50W tube torch the size of a Mag 3D would be a coup. The hangup, as always, is the ballast.

FNinjaP90,
The 62138HLX has an even worse spec life of only 25 hours. I can't imagine that it would last very long even at 13.5V. It is indeed very different from the '623 and '440/'447IRC in terms of overdrive potential.

The Maxabeam gets pretty darn close to the ideal. No hot wire ever will, at least not at great distances.

Sway,
I can't take credit for uncovering the '138. Someone else mentioned it and I went right after it knowing that I had one of the only 2 or 3 platforms out there that could put it to test. AlexGT's H3 adapter system being another one. Strange that it was buried in the Osram Photo-Optic PDF catalog and not searchable on their online catalog.

In any case, you can get them for under $3 at Specialty Optical Systems. Didn't you say that they were $18 from Blitz? If so, that's just a heinous markup. rapacious even.

Wilkey

theepdinker

Enlightened

AlexGT asked about a bulb that spec'd like the 62138 in a post. I happened to have found it just a day or two before.

Theepdinker

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bill,
It's the 3" Oto-modified RF2102.

WB,
My neighbors think I'm weird. Weird but essentially harmless. Every few nights, searchlight-like beams can be seen stabbing out from my back deck. I try to refrain from lighting things up at street level though. As a result, I know I can hit any of the clusters of trees in my vicinity from 150' out to a little more than 1/5 of a mile.

Cue,
No problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Theep. Now that I think about it, I think it was in one of the "Phoenix" threads tha I heard about this bulb.

Wilkey

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very Very nice work Wilkey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

That little Blitz pill will surprise you with true HotWire color and throw over the larger automotive lamps and you have housed it in a small portable package it can only get better with the larger Turbo Heads you have in mind.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HID Ballast I have an idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Later
Sway
PS: Thanks for link to the cheep LE's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif