Can someone refresh my memory about ultra G ?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a computer crash and haven't had a line for a few week's, and remember i think hoghead mentioning a "G" version of the gerber/CMG infinity ultra.

What is it? and where to get one, and if there are any available.(now that gerber owns them) i really like my std ultra but always looking.........VDG

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Further to pokkuhlag's post, the markings on the Ultra G are just "US Government" followed by a NSN number. Pretty cool, I'd say...

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i got the green ultra so if it's the same thing as far as power goes no big deal then? VDG

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
and further to Craig's post, VDG, the last 4 Ultra-Gs I've received came with battery and clip but no lanyard. Last year some were sent with lanyard, as I recall.

No difference in power, just tougher coating and non-standard markings.

daloosh

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
daloosh said:
and further to Craig's post, VDG, the last 4 Ultra-Gs I've received came with battery and clip but no lanyard. Last year some were sent with lanyard, as I recall.

No difference in power, just tougher coating and non-standard markings.

daloosh

[/ QUOTE ]

Emphasis mine.

Yes, as of a couple weeks ago CountryComm was still shipping with clip and coppertop.

I got my Ultra-G because the Infinity Ultra has really grown on me. I really love these cheap little lights. I wanted another because I heard that the Gerber Ultra would have a tail switch. I like the CMG Ultra's bezel twistie. I also like the markings and the HA-III and the much more subdued coloring on the Ultra-G. IMO the Ultra-G is the absolute peak in the Infinity evolutionary chain. And buying an Ultra-G isn't like buying a Corvette.

So many good things have been written about the CMG Infinity and Ultra variants that we tend to take them for granted. The old Infinities are no longer produced. When current stocks of CMG Ultras are gone and they get the new Gerber tail switch, the Infinity Ultra, as we know it today, will be gone. It stands to reason that the Ultra-G -- produced under limited government contract by a company that no longer exists, will also soon disappear forever.

In another six months all of the wonderful reviews written about the Infinity, the Ultra and the Ultra-G will still be out there, on the web. IMO lots of folks who are even more of a newbie than I am will be reading these reviews, scratching their heads and thinking, "Where are these cool lights? What happened to these great lights that everyone loved?".

This is just my take on it. I like the tiny CMG variants enough that for the above reasons, in the last 4-6 weeks I've picked up 4 of the old colored Infinities, an Ultra-G and a Sonic-G (Sonic-Gs may still be had at http://www.broadarrow.net/lights.htm) I must sheepishly admit to ordering a couple more Ultra-Gs a couple of days ago. I haven't bought as an investment. I just like these little lights -- and they're going away. As I write this I am fighting the urge to order two more...

Of course, YMMV.

bubbacatfish

Enlightened
After reading Sub Umbra's message I thought, what the heck I wanted a G months ago why not order one through the CPF link... Because CountyComm doesn't accept non U.S. paypal that's why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

edited for spelling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i love the ultra too, so i guess i will get another, and might as well be a "G"! who's still got them for sale? VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one. thanks for the tip!! i'm very glad i found this forum. who'ed a thunk it there would be other nutty guys that dig flashlight's like me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif VDG

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Wish I knew about this discount before I ordered 3 Ultra-G's. I can't stop buying those things! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

best regards

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd seen about 10 or so amber Infinities over at the Adventure 16 store in West LA and finally went over and added one to my stable today. I tried a few first and all of them had some ringiness to the beams. The red Infinity I got from there several weeks ago is perfection, very bright indeed and with a nearly flawless beam. I would buy another one if I found one to add to my white, amber, and blue ones.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the Infinities I just took delivery on the amber was great, and the blue-green was also very good. The blue was OK, but the green had a huge hole in the beam. TheLedLight has a fist full of green ones in their Bargain Basement (75 pieces) and I keep thinking about going back for another try. I use green lights quite a bit and a green Infinity with a nice beam would be really cool.

Am I correct in assuming that colored LEDs can vary greatly within a lot?