Dorcy 1AAA question

thartley

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I find that when I carry my Dorcy 1AAA on a key ring in my pants pocket, it unscrews itself to the point where the battery falls out, and it does this fairly frequently. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have any suggestions on how to modify the light to keep this from happening?

Thanks.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a short (~3/4")piece of clear plastic tubing (1/2" I.D. - from hardware store) and stretched it over the tail cap so maybe 1/4" extended over the rear body. It provides enough friction to hold the tail piece in place - and also gives a cushion for your teeth if you ever hold it in your mouth. Doesn't look too awful.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about gouging the threads just a bit to add some friction?

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think alluminum foil may rip up to easily. I bet teflon tape would do the trick. That or get a slightly larger o-ring on there, to tighten it up. Either way, you will also get a slightly more water proof light. Although, I took one of those in a pool once without any modding, and it survived. Had water in there pretty badly but still worked fine. Aired it out some and good as new.
Cameron

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Parafilm to give enough hold to keep lights from unscrewing. It is usually used to seal laboratory tubes. The Parafilm stretches to about four times its original size then I wrap the threads of a light. One roll lasts forever.

WHAT THE HECK IS PARAFILM?

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
Won't Teflon or Parafilm placed on the threads reduce or eliminate conduction of electricity from the negative terminal in the endcap to the main flashlight body?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the tape won't prevent conduction because the path of conduction is not through the threads of the endcap. The negative terminal spring is mounted on a disc-like piece that hits the end of the tube when you press the button or screw-down the endcap.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Lurker said. And if you use an airbrush like I do the stuff is great for masking. I can make so many pretty color lights with the airbrushes and Parafilm.

If you trim the rose bushes the Parafilm also makes a super bandage.

You'd only put the Parafilm on the threads but not on the very edge of the light.