Jets22 Silverbird 5W

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This is one of two prototype 5W Blackbird units:

silverbird3.jpg

It is in bare aluminium but otherwise the same as the Blackbird we know so well ... except that is houses a 5W emitter and a BB750.

The difference is remarkable: It is even brighter in flood mode than the Blackbird and has not even the slightest hint of a hotspot but only a bright and even illumination. Low mode is usable, too, but relatively green due to the underdriven 4 dice of the 5W.
With an optic the beam is not so interesting and full of artifacts, so flood mode is the only real choice for this light as opposed to the blackbird.

In high mode it gets hot quickly and it is difficult to sustain the high burn for more than a few minutes before your hands want to be somewhere else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif .
Battery life on high should be considerably less than 30min, but I didn't test it out.

In the end this one is a nice and (almost) unique gadget, but the more reasonable choice is the 3W Blackbird for versatility, runtime and heat considerations. IMHO the benefits of this setup are outweighed by the disadvantages.

So I completely agree with Brock's decision not to do the 5W run ... the 3W is the best compromise here.

But it is quite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif to have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif and very bright and beautiful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . Silver scorcher ...

bernhard

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice...Very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

mut

PS09

Enlightened
COOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pietro.

p.s. well then nothing BlackBird 5W? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

flashworm

Newly Enlightened
Bernhard, U say u don't have many lights huh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nice gem u got there

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Pietro ... ask Brock, but I do not think he'll go with a 5W run, it is not a reasonable light. OK for cool extra but maybe not justified as a run for itself?
bernhard

PS09

Enlightened
Bernhard,
I have ask to various modders and productioners(?)and the answer has been that a led 5W no works well with only 1X123A and with a tiny reflector.
Look for example on the HDS 3D.
But I think that a day,with the progress of the technology of the led,will be possible made a little flashlight with a 5W emitter.

Pietro.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Not entirely True, Pietro.
I have some 5W 1x123 lights that work quite well.
Problem here is the limited current draw of 1x123, the heat and the focussing. You can achieve a reasonably good medium flood with a so17xa and a cool beam with a PR as well as an acceptable beam with the Fraen LP.
The upper limit seems to be a BB500-600 for current draw, but that is still plenty of light AND it can also be run on 2x123 if you are so inclined.

I personally like 5W 1x123 settings , but it would be beyond reason with this light as the optics do not fit the 5W well here and the flood reflector has no throw at all, meaning the light will be indoor only, and the Blackbird fullfills that role admirably. No one here should have rooms big enough to make the difference in output worth the loss in runtime and heat IMHO.
That is why.

bernhard

PS09

Enlightened
Bernhard,
probably a 5W mounted in a PR runs good(decent) with only 1X123A,but I thought to a BlackBird or an Arc Ls or similar.

Pietro.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Arc LS is possible with a so17xa or an optic, no problem except heat and runtime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... and you get a more flood-like beam.
bernhard

these ...
s123_L1_Lux5_beams.jpg

are beamshots of ...
L1_BB600_5W_W_on_E1_with_McE2S.jpg

this light ...

... which is a 5W BB600 on 1x123 with a so17xa.

This light:
6737ec44.jpg

is a 5W BB750 in an Arc LS1 body and produces ...

arc5w_jets22_beam.jpg

... this beam with a Fraen LP.

It works, it has just some problems putting a 5W on 1x123.

Think of TW4 ... a wonderful little light!

bernhard

Jets22

Enlightened
Bernhard...love your photos..What camera are you using?

The pic of the 5W Flood Proto looks great. This head was cut different on this version... No question, it will light a very LARGE room up at night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The second 5W Proto has a different head and actually can use a optic more efficiently...This was the platform for the Blackbird final revision head currently used.

If your looking for a WOW light to impress your friends in a dark Warehouse..(and also warm your hands on a cold morning)...this would be the ticket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

(BTW) Love seeing my 5W ARC... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Thanx Brock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I am using an old and rotten 1.3 Mega-Pixel Olympus from about 1995 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And I am using a lot of patience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
ah Brock ... not at all, it is just a question of effort investment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and trial-and-error

if *I* can do some reasonable photos with my crappy camera ... everyone can, I assure you.
Look at Don's pics, he can, too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But I really prefer that you spend your time doing some lights and let others do the photos who cannot make those cool lights ...

bernhard

PS09

Enlightened
For a digital camera I prefer a good optic(Zeiss,Leica?) vs. a lot of pixel.
Naturally if I can have both is better.

Pietro.

marcspar

Enlightened
I have the panasonic lumix with a 12x optical LEICA zoom lens (digitally stabilized) and 4 mp guts. It seems the perfect combo of optics and pixels with a great macro ability.....

Its under $500 if you shop around.

If you won't be blowing up prints beyond 8 x 10, they also have the same Leica lens with a 2 mp body for around $350.

Marc

PS09

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
marcspar said:
I have the panasonic lumix with a 12x optical LEICA zoom lens (digitally stabilized) and 4 mp guts. It seems the perfect combo of optics and pixels with a great macro ability.....

Its under $500 if you shop around.

If you won't be blowing up prints beyond 8 x 10, they also have the same Leica lens with a 2 mp body for around $350.

Marc

[/ QUOTE ]

Panasonic Lumix: great digital camera!

Pietro.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
does this marvel have manual settings for shutter speed etc.?
you know, beamshots and the like ...
bk

marcspar

Enlightened
It sure does....

"Take Control of Your Camera with the Manual Functions of the DMC-FZ15K
Like doing things for yourself? Then why not give the Auto Focus a rest and try taking some pictures with the Manual Focus feature. Simply flick the Focus button on the side of the lens to MF (Manual Focus) and you're ready to go. If you need to check the focus, our Manual Focus Assist function enlarges the center part of the image in the viewfinder or LCD monitor by 3x for easy viewing. Want more control? The Manual Exposure Mode allows you to select the aperture and shutter speed of your choice. You can even see how much your setting differs from the setting the camera considers optimal with the Manual Exposure Assist function."

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=71420&catGroupId=17168&modelNo=DMC-FZ15K&surfModel=DMC-FZ15K

No annoying delay when pushing the shutter either - unlike most affordable digitals I have used!

Marc

Kiessling

Flashaholic
sounds good!
now only my girl needs to nuy it for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard