red krypton bulb source?

SonoraMike

Newly Enlightened
is there a red krypton bulb available? its a replacement for the one in the rayovac headlamp, the bulb is similar to the mini mag

paulr

Flashaholic
You're probably better off using an LED. Red LED's are far more efficient than filtered incandescents.

shad

Newly Enlightened
Is there an available source for red LED mods that are mini mag compatable?

SonoraMike

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
You're probably better off using an LED. Red LED's are far more efficient than filtered incandescents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm using UV LED's in the rayovac sportsman head lamp. looking to replace the krypton bulb with a red krypton bulb.

paulr

Flashaholic
Buy a 3mm red led from lsdiodes.com for 50 cents or so. Use a 5/32" drill to enlarge the hole in the minimag reflector slightly so the led will fit through it, and use a nail file or sandpaper to smooth down the epoxy skirt at the base of the led. Put rechargable nimh cells (1.2 volts) into the minimag so the lower voltage won't kill the red led. Stick the led into the socket where the bulb normally goes. If it doesn't light, you've put it in backwards, so turn it around.

Also, you can get red lenses or filters from Mag as standard accessories. The red lens replaces the normal lens and the light otherwise looks the same. The red filter kit is a sleeve that slides over the front of the light, making it a little bigger, but that makes it easier to put on and off. Efficiency does suffer.

Finally, you can get a red-led Gerber/CMG Infinity Ultra which runs on one AA and is a nice little light, $15 or so from batterystation.com. The white-led version of the same light, or the hard-anodized Ultra-G version, are among the perennial favorite lights around here.

mrme

Enlightened
Red filters are also avalible for the PT solo/predator etc. headlamps. I bought one for about $3 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sonora....I have relatives in Sonora, off Phoenix Lake Road...Anyways, I remember seeing rubbery covers for PR sized bulbs, I think at REI...I'd guess it was for the PT light, as mentioned above...
--dan